Need Some Advise on Hot Air(and I Am Not Talking Politics)

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Morning all, it's a brisk 45 degree out here in the land of enchantment(New Mexico). Out on the back porch working on some stems. I have decided that the bosses(wife, let's me wear the pants on occasion, mistress of all she surveys) hair dryer is just not cutting it in for warming up the stems to work on. So have been looking online for a heat gun and there are a butt(and I mean really big) load of them out there. Any suggestions on brand/specs I should be looking for? Thank you all.
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
I know lot of guys who use the heat guns, but there are other options- I've bent stems for maybe a hundred fifty pipes or so by heating it with a pipe lighter...The key is to keep it moving and rotating in the flame until it's heated. If you keep the flame on any one spot or don't heat the entire length, you'll get funky bends. Once it's hot, I use a thick wad of paper towels to bend the entire bend, and then quench it under water to lock the shape...Never had a problem...and it's one less tool I have to buy...

addamsruspipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 4, 2016
Albuquerque, NM
Interesting, had not even thought of doing it that way. Maybe use a candle that I can just set to burning and then just rotate the stem just above the flame?

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Immersing in boiling water OK? If so, about how long?
And back to NM- outside work of that nature in Summer- good. Winter, not so much. The ambient temperature makes reaching bending temp harder, and it will leave that much quicker.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Bo knows... The master's technique- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-r4OdwvGw

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Bo knows--- he used a candle.... Video of the master- https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Vy-r4OdwvGw

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
This situation requires a bit of clarification.
Scandinavian shapes use blade-style stems almost exclusively.
Trying to bend any traditional English/tapered stem that's NOT a blade/saddle type---especially an author, bulldog, or Rhodesian (and do it RIGHT, meaning over its full length, not just the last inch or so)---with a point heat source like a candle or lighter is VERY difficult. It's absolutely asking for trouble. When the surface of vulcanite or acrylic bubbles, no matter how little, there is no recovering from it. Not recommended.

joeman

Can't Leave
Mar 6, 2016
South Carolina
Putting vulcanite stems in boiling water instantly turns them brown. I learned this the hard way long ago as a newbie. I threw a handful of stems into some very hot water in order to soften them so that I could pull out the metal tenons and to loosen up the inserted trademark...all 5 or 6 stems went very quickly from black to solid milk chocolate. Doh!!
In the early days, I also "singed" my share of stems in the heating process. I can bend a stem no issue with a flame...have done hundreds. My own preference is where your question began...heat gun. I have a plain old Milwaukee with 2 settings. I use the hot setting on mine. If you go heat gun...same thing applies...keep it moving, and keep rotating the stem. I've experienced a heat gun to typically be a good bit more forgiving than a flame.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
with a point heat source like a candle or lighter is VERY difficult
I've found this to be extremely easy. Used it on my own handmades, and restores for a while now.

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I've found this to be extremely easy. Used it on my own handmades, and restores for a while now.
You left off the qualifier: Thick, tapered stems. I've seen the best in the business boil the surface of them with a flame.
Blade/saddle stems are much less risky.
Keep in mind the thread was advice to casual smokers who do adjustments only rarely. It's very difficult to go sideways with a heat gun, almost guaranteed the first time someone tries it with an alcohol lamp or candle.

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep...an important qualifier- I make a lot of Authors and bending 3/4” material is near impossible...I’ve considered using a small oven to get really consistent heating...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013
Yep...an important qualifier- I make a lot of Authors and bending 3/4” material is near impossible...I’ve considered using a small oven to get really consistent heating...

zack24

Lifer
May 11, 2013

Jan 8, 2013
I literally just moments ago used a candle. So far, it's the only way I've bent stems. I tried the boiling water method once, but it was taking too long in my opinion to heat up the stem and I got tired of dunking it, checking to see how malleable it was, dunking it again..... blah blah.... I gave up. With a flame (candle, lamp, etc.,) you just have to remember to keep moving the stem constantly to avoid burning, blistering, etc, and to make sure you have an even heating.
I will add however, that as much as I like carving a pipe, I absolutely hate bending stems. The whole process makes me nervous as hell :mrgreen:

Status
Not open for further replies.