PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Today I received a new addition to my pipe collection. Sadly the stem is all outta whack. Does anyone have any ideas about how to correct this problem? I want this to be my dedicated Bow-Legged Bear pipe!

f2e863e6.jpg

51480575.jpg

b0412ae4.jpg

sirbogglesworth

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 20, 2011
How does a stem turn out that way? I always thought you can twist it to its correct position ... weird.

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Sure do...

It looks like it has a Dr. Grabow "type" Adjustomatic screw in stem.

You should be able to just twist it gently into its proper position.

If it is stuck give it a good cleaning. You may even smoke it to warm up the oils that are holding it in place and adjust it then. You will need to twist it clock wise using the aspect in you bottom picture. That will be almost all the way around.

Don't force it!
Here's a link: The Briar Files

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
If your Kaywoodie has a 3 hole stinger then you may be able to fix it by putting a small steel screwdriver

through the parallel holes and gently torquing it to its correct orientation. This worked for me once,

as the stinger seemed to be a friction fit in the stem, and is actually free to spin around completely.

My Kaywoodie model may have been the exception to the norm; and I don't think one can get away

with doing this on a regular basis lest the stinger becomes hopelessly loose.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
Ill post after pics for sure! Next question, the stem is chattered right up, and not shiny at all (its all scratched up) and suggestions on how to get it all pretty again without a buffing wheel? I am going to deal with the bowl using dowel and sandpaper.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Great work man! If you're interested I know for a fact you can find a buffing system (for cheap) that'll chuck in to your drill. When I'm working on stems (usually vulcanite) I give them a strong (and monitored) bleach bath if it's badly oxidized and then go straight to 600 grit wet/dry in it's wet state followed by a good long buff with rouge. I'd use white diamond if I had it but I don't and I'm just waiting on some carnuba to get here to start learning how to bring the shine back to my many estates.

ichbinmuede

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 17, 2011
Well Schmitz I found mine at Princess Auto and I'm pretty darn sure you could find (or maybe you already know where one is) a location near you. It came with a 2, 3, and 4 inch wheel, the bit to attach them to, a rouge block, and some green block. I'm not sure which one is the more coarse material but I think it's the green.

unclearthur

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
Excellent job! A buffing system is pretty easy to tinker together. A jack shaft and a couple of step pulleys to bring the speed down. Of course a motor helps too!

Status
Not open for further replies.