PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

menckenite

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 21, 2010
Alabama
What a great thread! Forum members giving advise on fixin' a problem. Then the before & after pics of a nice looking pipe, with great results, and even more tips on easier restoration methods.

collindow

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 15, 2010
Portland, OR
Oh god oh god, whatever you do don't use bleach on a Kaywoodie stem. I accidentally oxidized away most of the stems on two of my favorites, one of which has since snapped and I don't smoke the other for fear of losing it as well.

portascat

Lifer
Jan 24, 2011
Happy Hunting Grounds
As a side note, have (had) a Kaywoodie with the same issue. Bought if off Ebay with the issue known for cheap. Smoked it off center for a while, and then decided I would attempt to adjust it back. Took some channel-lock pliers and grabbed it at the base of the the threaded stinger, being careful not to catch threads. A couple of low torque, but with some force, twists and it is good as new. Course, I could have just as easily broken it. Not a bad try-and-fix on a cheaply bought pipe. Wouldn't try it on something that had some real financial or sentimental value.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
thanks for the advice guys. I just got a few new pipes off of ebay, one of which was a beautiful kaywoodie (except for the offcenter stem). i warmed it up a bit with a lighter, then used some plyers to gently twist back into place. now it looks good as new.

banjobob

Lurker
Feb 10, 2012
I started trying to buff with a dremel tool.

During the first minute of buffing I got the collett

too close to the briar and ruined a valuable pipe.

I put the dremel away.

That was a wasted $100.

Then I got out my bench grinder.

It was a 6" model so I removed the grinding wheels, guards and rests and

fitted cotton pads to each side.

To make a long story much shorter, I broke a LOT of pipes.

That thing would rip them from my hands and fling them 30' to their death.

The problem was the motor speed.

Then I bought a Delta 1 H.P.8" variable speed grinder and mounted it on a big

heavy cast iron stand I just happened to have on hand.

I bought 120 ply 8" cotton pads for each side, bought a 3 pound bar of white diamond compound

put it on the slowest speed and carefully applied pipe to pad.

Easy and super effective.

It worked so good that I could take those hard rubber bits and buff them back to a rich glossy black.

The Briar would easily buff up to a high sheen as well, and using nothing but the white compound.

I had over 300 pipes at the time so I started buffing them all up and in 15 minutes I could make an old crusty turd look stunning again.

The secret was white compound and slow speed.

Banjo

Status
Not open for further replies.