PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
I got this straight stem kit from 4noggins. I used only a coping saw, a couple rasps and files and sandpaper.
I first drew all over the thing trying to get an idea of what i wanted to make...

I then took a coping saw to it and made it into an extremely rough blocky pipe...

I then set it up in a vice resting on a small soft handled ratchet so i could move it easily and began using the rasps to smooth things out...

Then i moved onto filing it and refining the shape...

More filing and then sanding starting at 80 all the way to 2000 grit...

I then stained it with a couple coats of Fiebings dark brown leather color and sanded it slightly with 1600-2000 grit...

This is what it looks like after staining it with a few coats of saddle tan before sanding...

I then sanded with 1600-2000 grit and applied a coat of olive oil...

There you have it. I have never done any woodwork before and learnt a lot. Theres quite a few mistakes in the final product; it's not perfectly round, the shank tapers oddly and the part below the shank isn't straight with the rest of the pipe. But it was a lot of fun and i encourage the rest of you to do it. Took me about 5 days working for only 2 hoursish a day on it.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Very nice job! I've done one by hand also (no power tools) and know how hard it is ... congrats! :clap:

pritch13

Might Stick Around
Sep 15, 2015
Thanks cobguy, wouldn't it be awesome to grow your own corn and dry it to make your own cob, now that would be a lengthy process!

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
Nice job. Those pics take me back to last year when I did my own job all by hand (see here). I sure learned a lot. Might have to try again one of these days

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Well done...love the cool grain. The mistakes we make early on are what helps us learn to improve and get better. Enjoy your new pipe. :puffy:

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
Thanks cobguy, wouldn't it be awesome to grow your own corn and dry it to make your own cob, now that would be a lengthy process!
I've done this quite a bit, actually. Then again, I grew up in Illinois the "land of corn". :)

stickframer

Apr 11, 2015
That's pretty cool. It's great to see the photos of the staining process. May she give you many great smokes.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
nice job man. I've carved a few myself but never by hand, I use sandpaper pads on a table mounted drill.

Great finish. Ever thought of going a little higher in grits ? 3000 ? --> 12000 ?

They do miracle :)

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I very much would love to try this, but if the final product stands as a display to the cumulative mistakes of the carver, I'm afraid I just can't do it. Most of my life has been spent dealing with the cumulative effects of my mistakes and I need not a statue representing them. Yours is quite awesome though!! Congrats!!!

anarchisthermit

Might Stick Around
Aug 31, 2015
On your next pipe, I have a couple suggestions.
Use a hacksaw instead of a coping saw. Coping saws are near impossible to keep cutting in a straight line.
Leave the stem in the shank for the whole process.

Status
Not open for further replies.