My 82 Year Old Prince (Charming?)

(25 posts)
  • Started 5 years ago by beefeater33
  • Latest reply from mso489
  1. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Took a gamble on this one on ebay. The pictures weren't that great and it was a buy it now. There were not any pics of the pipe dis-assembled. To my delight when I received it I found it had the Vernon fitment tendon! My first. Not real familiar with them. It appears there is part of an inner-tube stuck in it? I haven't tried to remove it. The pipe dates to 1932, shape "FE" great condition, very little cake in it. It has the patent # "1341418/20 and pending" on it. The stem needs a little shine, its dull, but nary a tooth mark. I was never really fond of the prince shape, but this old Dunny won me over- I love the blast. The pictures make it look more red in color than it actually is. I'm 47 years old and its neat that this little pipe is damn near twice my age! Anyways, I think its an interesting piece of history & thought I'd share.

"We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dream..."
    Willy Wonka
    Posted 5 years ago #
  2. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That blast is absolutely classic. Overall, it looks to be in great shape. Congrats.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Blast reminds me of a spider web and thats a good thing, correction, great thing. i love that blast, my PADdy senses are tingling.

A Great Storm No Matter How Great, Will Always Pass.
    But The Clam After, Is What You Must Master, In Order For Life To Last.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. derfatdutchman

derfatdutchman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe, I agree the blast is great.

"The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess, and there is no chance of getting more."
    Bismark
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

That is sweet, and the blast makes full display of the grain character.

Nice score! If you don't mind sharing, how much did you give for this gem?

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nice score! If you don't mind sharing, how much did you give for this gem?

I gave $190 for it with free shipping. It was a buy it now, and I pulled the trigger pretty fast, didn't take a lot of time to study the pics. I lost out on a great deal once, I was trying to do a little research and went back and POOOF!! GONE!! So this one was a knee jerk, but I'm happy with it.

Here's the listing- his pics may even be better than mine...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/390891114917?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. smokeybear

smokeybear

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Good decision on piling that trigger fast 190$ for that's pipe is quite the deal.

Posted 5 years ago #
  8. twangthang

twangthang

Login to Send PM

That is a classic. Nice score

Posted 5 years ago #
  9. papipeguy

papipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Great pipe from the Golden Age. I have my grandfather's Dublin from the same year. Treasure it and enjoy the history.

Blowin' smoke since 1970.
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. gregprince

gregprince

Login to Send PM

Beautiful pipe. It was another Dunhill shell that introduced me to the Prince shape. It should prove to be a great pipe. Congratulations.

Posted 5 years ago #
  11. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

Nice haul! That blast is very nice! Great period for Dunhill.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  12. cobguy

Darin

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Very nice beefeater!

What blends will you be smoking in this one?

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. arno665

arno665

Login to Send PM

Congratulations! Stunning prince!

Posted 5 years ago #
  14. misterlowercase

misterlowercase

Login to Send PM

BONKERS!

You did good by grabbin' that baby so quick, wow, an absolute classic.

Someone really cherished that pipe because it was very well taken care of and looks to be in excellent condition.

The patina is droolingly gorgeous.

An orgasmic post, thanks for sharing, you're probably in 7th heaven!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I recently read about the "clicker" filter system on those old Dunhill's' and there were some that had the clicker bored into the shank instead of the stem. I'd say you've done extremely well and I hope she's a great smoker. Congrats!

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  16. yaddy306

yaddy306

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Sweet!

That's a prince from a time when the man the shape was named for was still a prince.

Posted 5 years ago #
  17. beefeater33

beefeater33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Thanks for all the compliments Guys! I won't get time to clean her up and smoke till this weekend.

What blends will you be smoking in this one?

Cobguy- I've got an old(late 80's) tin of MM 965 that I've been hanging on to for something special, guess its time to crack it open! As for other blends, I feel like this old girl deserves English/Balkans, I'm thinking Westminster, Blackpoint, Gaslight, and Quiet Nights...... some of my favorite Pease blends.
    An orgasmic post, thanks for sharing, you're probably in 7th heaven!

Yes I am MLC! One of the few times I actually scored something good on the 'bay! I can't wait to enjoy this with some great english blends.
    I recently read about the "clicker" filter system on those old Dunhill's' and there were some that had the clicker bored into the shank instead of the stem. I'd say you've done extremely well and I hope she's a great smoker. Congrats!

Yes, Setter, this really does "pop", or "click" into place. Quite different from anything I'm used to. I don't think they made them for very long, a few years in the thirtys. I'm hoping its a great smoker as well! Thanks!

Posted 5 years ago #
  18. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

That's a beautiful pipe and I hope your grandkids will appreciate it's history and the craftsmanship that went into it.

Enjoy it, pard.

Fnord

It ain't the way I wanted it! I can handle things! I'm smart! Not like everybody says - like dumb - I'm smart and I want respect!
    Fredo Corleone
    Posted 5 years ago #
  19. ssjones

ssjones

Mod

Login to Send PM

The aged tin of MM965 sounds perfect for breaking her in. Heck of a find, what a blast. They sure don't blast like that any more at Dunhill. A fabulous find (and deal!).

Al

Posted 5 years ago #
  20. disinformatique

The Pipe Monk

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Holy Cow I love this pipe !!

Albert Einstein was once quoted as saying, “I believe that pipe smoking contributes to a somewhat calm and objective judgment in all human affairs.” One of the reasons behind this statement is that pipe smoking is meant to be a slow leisurely activity. It takes patience to smoke a pipe. Unlike cigarettes and cigars, there is a certain amount of technique to smoking a pipe. Where cigars and cigarettes can just be picked up, lit and puffed on, pipes require the development of a technique in order to get the best smoking experience.
    Posted 3 years ago #
  21. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I had forgotten this one had a Vernon tenon -- so that's two I've seen now that weren't smooth. To be honest, just based on the size of the white dot, I would have guessed the stem was a replacement, apparently not.

Posted 3 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

Nice !!!!!

Posted 3 years ago #
  23. fnord

fnord

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Pitch:

Please educate me on this year old post.

What is a Vernon tendon?

(I was just re-reading this post - forgot that I'd originally replied - and thought the tenon looked odd with the tube inserted, although obviously well done.)

Thanks!

Fnord

Posted 3 years ago #
  24. pitchfork

pitchfork

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

fnord, I forgot that I had replied, too! And I'm not sure if you answered your own question there or not, but just in case, the "Vernon tenon" is that metal, snap-in system you see there. Dunhill used it for some pipes around mid-century, but they're pretty rare overall. Most of the ones I've seen were smooth with a cumberland (or "bowling ball") stem.

Posted 3 years ago #
  25. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Gorgeous pipe at a gorgeous price. I'm a late convert to the prince shape. Foggymountain, who is a holder of many many Dunhills, bought a clutch of Dunhill princes about a year ago. No Dunhills but several nice princes to my name, including a Dr. Grabow -- they call it an apple, but I think they are just shy about calling a Dr. Grabow a prince, but it's clearly that.

Posted 3 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   paulfg, boston, cjforshi, oldtoby, hauntedmyst, jiminks