PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Took a gamble on this one on ebay. The pictures weren't that great and it was a buy it now. There were not any pics of the pipe dis-assembled. To my delight when I received it I found it had the Vernon fitment tendon! My first. Not real familiar with them. It appears there is part of an inner-tube stuck in it? I haven't tried to remove it. The pipe dates to 1932, shape "FE" great condition, very little cake in it. It has the patent # "1341418/20 and pending" on it. The stem needs a little shine, its dull, but nary a tooth mark. I was never really fond of the prince shape, but this old Dunny won me over- I love the blast. The pictures make it look more red in color than it actually is. I'm 47 years old and its neat that this little pipe is damn near twice my age! Anyways, I think its an interesting piece of history & thought I'd share.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Nice score! If you don't mind sharing, how much did you give for this gem?

I gave $190 for it with free shipping. It was a buy it now, and I pulled the trigger pretty fast, didn't take a lot of time to study the pics. I lost out on a great deal once, I was trying to do a little research and went back and POOOF!! GONE!! So this one was a knee jerk, but I'm happy with it.
Here's the listing- his pics may even be better than mine... :roll:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/390891114917?_trksid=p2060778.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

gregprince

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 29, 2014
Beautiful pipe. It was another Dunhill shell that introduced me to the Prince shape. It should prove to be a great pipe. Congratulations.

May 31, 2012
8O :eek: 8O :eek: :!:

BONKERS!
You did good by grabbin' that baby so quick, wow, an absolute classic.
Someone really cherished that pipe because it was very well taken care of and looks to be in excellent condition.
The patina is droolingly gorgeous.
An orgasmic post, thanks for sharing, you're probably in 7th heaven!

:D

orgasm-brain.jpg

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
I recently read about the "clicker" filter system on those old Dunhill's' and there were some that had the clicker bored into the shank instead of the stem. I'd say you've done extremely well and I hope she's a great smoker. Congrats!

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Thanks for all the compliments Guys! I won't get time to clean her up and smoke till this weekend.

What blends will you be smoking in this one?

Cobguy- I've got an old(late 80's) tin of MM 965 that I've been hanging on to for something special, guess its time to crack it open! :D As for other blends, I feel like this old girl deserves English/Balkans, I'm thinking Westminster, Blackpoint, Gaslight, and Quiet Nights...... some of my favorite Pease blends.

An orgasmic post, thanks for sharing, you're probably in 7th heaven!

Yes I am MLC! One of the few times I actually scored something good on the 'bay! I can't wait to enjoy this with some great english blends.

I recently read about the "clicker" filter system on those old Dunhill's' and there were some that had the clicker bored into the shank instead of the stem. I'd say you've done extremely well and I hope she's a great smoker. Congrats!

Yes, Setter, this really does "pop", or "click" into place. Quite different from anything I'm used to. I don't think they made them for very long, a few years in the thirtys. I'm hoping its a great smoker as well! Thanks!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
That's a beautiful pipe and I hope your grandkids will appreciate it's history and the craftsmanship that went into it.
Enjoy it, pard.
Fnord

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
The aged tin of MM965 sounds perfect for breaking her in. Heck of a find, what a blast. They sure don't blast like that any more at Dunhill. A fabulous find (and deal!).

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I had forgotten this one had a Vernon tenon -- so that's two I've seen now that weren't smooth. To be honest, just based on the size of the white dot, I would have guessed the stem was a replacement, apparently not.

Status
Not open for further replies.