My 1st Pipe will arrive today... which of these Tobacco's first?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.

killingsin

Lurker
Jun 19, 2015
Greetings and Grace to You,
My first pipe is a Savinelli Caramella Rustica 611 KS Tobacco Pipe which is due to arrive in the mail today. I also purchased a basic tool and some pipe cleaners along with a nice pouch. My question is about which tobacco I should smoke for my first time. I purchased four tins of Tobacco that looked like something I would enjoy. Now to ask some veterans of the pipe and tobacco their thoughts. Here are the tobaccos I purchased.
savinelli-doblone-doro-pipe-tobacco

moreinfo.cfm

moreinfo.cfm

moreinfo.cfm

And here is my 1st pipe and accesories...
savinelli-caramella-rustica-611-ks-tobacco-pipe

savinelli-3-in-1-tool

dills-daily-tobacco-pipe-cleaner

savinelli-combo-tobacco-and-one-pipe-pouch-natural

There it is. :)
Which tobacco do you think would be best for my first smoke or to be used to break in the pipe?
Thanks in advance.

killingsin

Lurker
Jun 19, 2015
I had to read about the pic re-sizing to get it right so let's try this again... Here it is.
Greetings and Grace to You,
My first pipe is a Savinelli Caramella Rustica 611 KS Tobacco Pipe which is due to arrive in the mail today. I also purchased a basic tool and some pipe cleaners along with a nice pouch. My question is about which tobacco I should smoke for my first time. I purchased four tins of Tobacco that looked like something I would enjoy. Now to ask some veterans of the pipe and tobacco their thoughts. Here are the tobaccos I purchased.

And here is my 1st pipe and accesories...

There it is. :)
Which tobacco do you think would be best for my first smoke or to be used to break in the pipe?
Thanks in advance.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
I'd say the Orlik should give you the best start for building a cake. You ordered some fine stuff there so any of them would do. Enjoy and good luck.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
EMP>Pres>OGS>Dd"O
Remember, you don't need a bright red cherry in your bowl to burn tobacco. Nor do you need huge smoke clouds. Pipe smoking is a gentle art. Be sure to keep a glass of ice water and perhaps some crackers or biscuits handy. Have fun!

killingsin

Lurker
Jun 19, 2015
Excellent. The only problem is the order with the OGS won't be here until Monday (I ordered that after reading about just how good it is). I've waited 33 years what's a few more days. :) Thanks guys.

elbert

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 10, 2015
You've set yourself up fairly well! We will, of course, expect a full report. :puffy:

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
Great pipe. I have the same Savinelli in my rotation. OGS might be the best first tobacco for you. You could use any of the tobaccos for your breakin period. I do have a suggestion. Smoke through one tin before moving to anothr, so that you can establish a baseline for your palate. Pax

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Love the new pipe and that case is beautiful. I too would crack open the OGS too.

Your beautiful little one put a big smile on my face. :puffy:

derfargin

Lifer
Mar 3, 2014
Kennesaw, GA
EMP first, that was my intro tobacco to the world of non aromatics. I enjoyed it quite a bit back then, but I recently revisited EMP and as much as I enjoyed it, my tastes have since moved on. I found it very mild in comparison to what I usually smoke these days.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
You have all kinds of new things there. Beautiful baby, classy new Savinelli. I'm partial to EMP. But they all look pretty good.
Word of advice: newborns and pipe tobacco don't mix. They should be at least 6 months old before their first pipe.

killingsin

Lurker
Jun 19, 2015
:) Thanks everyone and thank you for the compliments of our newborn son Grayson (my wife picked out the name meaning "son of a Gray Haired Man"). I must say that I am really looking forward to trying the pipe tonight so my original plan of waiting for the OGS to arrive on Monday has pretty much gone out the window. Sure wish I would of purchased that order when I purchased the pipe. I ordered the OGS, EMP and Presbyterian from smokingpipes the day after I bought the pipe. So... although I asked for your direction and am very thankful for it it is going to be the Salvinelli Doblone d'Oro which I guess is fitting for the Salvinelli pipe. I plan to enjoy with a fine glass of bourbon on my front porch this evening. I will let you know how it goes... only thing to figure out before then is which method of pipe packing to implement with the coins. :D
Thanks again everyone.

brudnod

Aug 26, 2013
Great Falls, VA
Great start! My personal favorite is Dunhill Early Morning but that might be a bit much for a starter. Your gear is great for a starter. As a pediatrician I can only say that you have a winner with Grayson. Congratulations!!!

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Cute cheeks Grayson!
The Presbyterian blend was a really good pick for a medium/mild english blend, lovely smoke. I dry it out a bit.
Here is a thread with 5 or 6 different 'right' ways to pack coins :)

coin packing
Isaac

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Wait for the Olik golden sliced, smoke it slow, fold and stuff method. Half a flake for the break In of your pipe, depending on the size of the bowl. Or you could turn it into an English pipe and smoke the Dunhill and Presbyterian in it. It's your pipe and your tobacco.

Status
Not open for further replies.