PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mortonbriar

Lifer
Oct 25, 2013
New Zealand
Hello,

I smoked a delicious bowl of 403 this week, newminster's superior round slices. (This blend was recommended as a similar substitute for 3 nuns, which I was getting bit by). I have packed coins two different ways in the past, rubbing them right out or stacking them whole. This time I did something in between, putting whole coins between layers of rubbed out tobacco with the top layer being a good helping of kindling. This just seemed to smoke significantly better for me than stacking the whole bowl with coins, and I like to think it captured the flavour profile better than rubbing it out, although I think there is some psychology involved there, along the same lines as the placebo effect in the medicine world.
I also dried the leaf out more than usual too, so theres another variable...oh and I smoked it in a pipe I have never smoked coins in before...also the coffee was turkish, you know the fine ground stuff with cardamon which is not normally my bowl companion. So yeah, not science I know, but still think I have found me a good little packing method, interested to hear what methods you lot have coined.
Isaac.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I've been fond of those slices since my first acquisition. Two or three is enough for most smokes. I usually rub them up slightly and put them in one or two at a time, not too tightly! Coins and flakes tend to expand and need elbow room.

I've messed up many a bowl with improper load technique, despite knowing not to 'condense' the tobacco, and it always galls me.

I also enjoy combining these slices with Newminster's other flake offering, #400. I cube cut both and mix them together, and between the two, I get a very satisfying and tasty smoke.

I've noticed that the prices of these blends is creeping ever upward. :crying:

baccyfart

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 11, 2015
good thread! i have PS bullseye that i fold in half, and then in half again, and shove it in the bowl. generally, two coins gets is enough, and like OP, i use any of the shreds as kindling on top. by folding this way, i get a zing of cavendish once in a while. some would probably like a more even flavor throughout the whole bowl, but this has worked for me.

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I have been smoking a single Escudo coin in a smaller bowled pipe (Rattray's Blowers Daughter) with great success. I dry the coin for a while and then fold it in half and in half again. I then give it a little rub back and forth and stick it centre coin down into the bowl. The little bits that fell off in the process go on top.

jamesrsmithjr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 13, 2015
Escudo, two coins stacked, rolled, twisted, squished, then slipped in...
403 are too small, so I line up a few, two-three thick, roll, twist, squish and slip in..
Like all flakes, roll, twist, squish and SLIP (not stuff).. Any that doesn't make the bowl goes on top as tinder.

Status
Not open for further replies.