PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
I'm very sad to announce I have mold on my Temple Bar not even 2 months old.... I am very sad to announce this because I have this blend such great reviews.

mackeson

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2016
I'm a bit confused - okay that's normal, but..

Was the tobacco moldy as soon as you opened the tin, or after sitting opened for 2 months?
One of mine arrived swollen so I jarred it. Some members said it was natural fermentation. I would agree but not with a new tobacco recently canned. Well, I'm glad mine is now jarred. Fresh tobacco tins should not be swollen. Takes a few years normally.

How would that stop any fungal growth already under-way? or did you do it to observe?

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
In a previous thread, I expressed some concern over a swollen tin of Temple Bar, in light of the Carolina Red debacle.
But my tin, after opening, was mold-free and delicious.

mackeson

Mar 29, 2016
@yaddy306

That's been my experience also. A delicious swollen tin each of Regents Flake and Temple Bar. I still have a few more of those to look forward to.

JimInks

Sultan of Smoke
Aug 31, 2012
Smoking Pipes will certainly replace the tin if you contact them.

shanelktown

Lifer
Feb 10, 2015
Tin will be replaced. And no I had been smoking this stuff actively just opened the tin today and noticed the mold. I didn't jar it yet.

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
I have one opened and 8 tins than that tined. I am going to continue to assume it's just fine. At some point in the future, I'll find out.

May 4, 2015
If it's not sealed air-tight, how could it build pressure and swell? Maybe I'm misunderstanding your meaning.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Don't worry guys, it's all under control, Chasingembers had the only 2 moldy tins of bijou, the mould problem with C&D has been taken care of. And you can simply exchange the tins of something that you bought for a different C&D offering that you didn't intend to buy, nothing to see here, carry on.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
It's the clear symptom that something is potentially wrong with the tobacco.

No it isn't.
You folks may recall the Carolina Red fiasco included moldy tobacco and tins that were not bulged
I think it's time for someone to say "Show me the Mold"
I'm not a C&D apologist by any stretch but I do think some folks here seem well prepared to over-react.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
I'm with Bigpond on this. A swollen tin is not a guarantee that there is something "wrong" with the tobacco. Also, there is just as much chance for a newly packed tin to swell as there is for an old one. It all depends on how fast the fermentation process is happening.
That being said, it doesn't mean that there isn't the possibility of mold or something else going on. Anything that uses Red Virginia should get extra attention, as it's my understanding that it has a greater chance of mold, etc.
Best approach is to open the tin, inspect the tobacco and transfer to a mason jar. No need to get the pitchforks and torches out. :roll:

jefff

Lifer
May 28, 2015
Chicago
The tins are not vacuum packed...ever. Does the highly acclaimed Black Frigate "WOOSH" upon opening?

Status
Not open for further replies.