PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
P.S. - Scrolling through this thread again, it seems that there are some posts missing. Looks like our buddy Coyote has become one of the dreaded Anonymous members. Whose Wheaties did he piss in now?
Would be great if mod's would mention within a thread that numerous deletions have occurred. If I recall, the poster that was removed from this thread was concerned, but not disruptive or rude.

skraps

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 9, 2015
If I recall, the poster that was removed from this thread was concerned, but not disruptive or rude.
Hey, we all know the rules here, and I don't think anyone disputes that this is Kevins house. It does however make people a bit paranoid that they might say the wrong thing and be banished. It's never fun looking over your shoulder and wondering if the next post is the one that sends you to the corn field.
** Looking over shoulder for lurking Mods ** 8O

carver

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
After reading all this thread about mould on Temple Bar, I rushed to have a look at mine, and it seems that I am victim of it too.

I received it through the mail a week or 2 ago (after 3 weeks travelling), I immediately transferred it into an airtight container. It didn't have any apparent mould on it at the time, but it was quite moist I gotta admit.

Today there were some patches of mould on the block.
I managed to salvage some by removing big chunks where there was mould. I cut the whole remainder in little pieces and it is drying now on the chopping board. Hopefully it'll be ok. I'm not too happy about this since I was really excited about this new blend.
Yeah, and fairwell to Coyote... I missed the whole thread, it seems that things were said, and things went too far...

A member asked to be deleted after making a mess of some threads. So, management had to delete a significant number of his posts, and this thread was probably affected by mistake. No one was punished for breaking any rules, but I personally didn't get to see what all had happened last night and early morning.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jpm, that's the real deal actually. Here in the Desert Southwest a high humidity number is 20% but typically it's only 5-10%.
Advice on storage and care of a cellar is relative, as in relative humidity.
Indeed it is. If the RH is very high, and the tins or jars are left open, chances of mold increases. I don't know where krizzose lives, but if it's below 50% RH, moisture pickup is not happening.

May 4, 2015
I've never heard of red Virginias in general molding any easier than other tobaccos, so I would just guess, from just what you guys have said, that they may have had an issue with a batch of tobacco, that just happened to be red Virginias
I believe different tobacco varieties are more or less prone to mold due to their varying pH levels.
No clue if this applies here.

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
I guess with The Hurricane driving by, Smokingpipies.com hasn't had time to add a comment to this thread. I've got two tins of the Temple Bar, I'm gonna wait and see what happens. If mold appears I'll ask for a replacement. Sorry to see Coyote go, the power of a pm apology goes along way. ( Just don't be a scumbag asshole and post someone's pm.) Or a public admission of being wrong etc....
I will add it seems strange that mold is appearing after the tin has been opened, not to say that C&D doesn't have a problem, but questions of cross contamination comes to mind. At the same time, this is happening to multiple people. I think Andy's assessment is right on. The wet flakes of the Lakeland and Mcclelland tobaccos never come moldy or get moldy. Maybe I restated a lot of hypothesis, trying to wrap my head around the issue. Anyway smoke on!

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
If we're going to bring relative humidity into possible suspects then everyone in the UK would be having this problem as it's usually between 70-80% rh, therefore this would be such a common problem there would be some kind of product they'd put in their tins to de-humidify, however it's not a concern you hear about from them. Carolina red flake was also not due to the tobacco but due to the antimicrobial agent used. Personally I have no problem with pipe tobacco that isn't totally organic, if I were that concerned about my health I obviously wouldn't smoke.

ravenwolf

Can't Leave
Mar 18, 2014
I just ordered a 1 pound tin of C&D Autumn Evening yesterday from smokingpipes - it is red va based, so I'm hoping it'll be okay now... =/

M

mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

Feelings... nothing more than feel-eel-lings.

There are an endless number of variables that could contribute to mold; the wind blowing some microscopic spores across a loading dock to someone bringing in spores on their jacket. From our end, we can only speculate blindly. However, I am glad that at least GLP doesn't put a lot of chemicals in the tobacco to prevent mold, and I am glad to hear that the company is handling the returns well.

ericusrex

Lifer
Feb 27, 2015
Coyote did say some kooky things but I have to agree with him on one point; a tin bulging right after packaging is certainly highly unusual. In fact, other than Regents and Temple, I don't have another tin this bulged without several YEARS of age on it. Does make ya wonder....
I'm no mold expert, but my hypothesis is that this 'mold' (or whatever) is quickly consuming the O2 in the can, bulging it, then goes into some sort of hybernation only to be reinvigorated once the tin is opened and it's got fresh O2 again. Too many people experiencing this to be cross contamination at jarring.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Were the blends in question all created from the same batch of Carolina Red Virginias?

May 4, 2015
However, I am glad that at least GLP doesn't put a lot of chemicals in the tobacco to prevent mold, and I am glad to hear that the company is handling the returns well.
Same here. It's disappointing when something this happens, sure. But, it's an organic product that you can only try your best to make consistent and predictable. With an iron-clad return policy and better-than-good customer service, I have no complaints or reservations purchasing anything from any of these people.

Status
Not open for further replies.