PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
Greetings all,

So, I received a gift from an old friend today. It was an unopened tin of G.L. Pease, Cairo. It has been sitting in his apartment for many years. In fact, the tin is so old that it is no longer the same one that the blend is currently being sold in. Anyhow, I opened it and was hit by a very alcohol-ish smell. And as I look, it appears that there may (possibly) be some mold? It was definitely sealed and popped when the tin handle was pulled. Can this happen? And if so, will it kill me to still smoke a bowl?
-The Doctor
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Pictures would be very helpful here, the closer up, the better. If it's mold, the best thing you can do is toss it. Moldy tobacco should not be smoked and the mold runs all through the tobacco, not just where you can see it. The molds that form on tobaccos are extremely toxic.
There are some who disagree, but they are mostly comprised of people who have had lobotomies performed by tree surgeons.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Photobucket; Postimage; Dropbox, etc.), or on virtually any site, select the full image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose copy image location. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.

Code:
The site's album is also a good choice.

lazar

Can't Leave
May 5, 2015
As soon as I saw the thread title, I thought C&D who have been having this problem with some blends. They make GLP blends so while it's disappointing, it's maybe not so surprising. If it is mold, get a refund or replacement from place of purchase.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
Photos are essential. Sharp, well lit, close photos.

But, from your description of the aroma, I'll venture to say that you don't have mold. Yeast, perhaps?

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
But, from your description of the aroma, I'll venture to say that you don't have mold. Yeast, perhaps?
The solution for yeast:
JOTTkov.jpg

mikestanley

Lifer
May 10, 2009
Akron area of Ohio
That tin type was retired, and for good reason IMHO, but this would be the first one I’ve ever heard of that had a mold problem. I would bet it’s just that funky white stuff that good tobacco gets sometimes. If you search here for mold on FBF, for instance, there will be plenty of photos of what I believe you are seeing, and it’s not mold.

Mike S.

zeedoctorae

Might Stick Around
Sep 10, 2017
You guys are hilarious! In any case, the smell became so headache inducing that I just tossed it. Pictures would have done no good because there wasn't really much to look at. It just didn't feel right. And again, the smell of sharp alcohol wasn't something I'd ever experienced before and since it was just a small tin, I didn't want to risk smoking anything that would make me feel ill.

So, here's another question then. This is the first I've heard of bloom. What is it and would it smell?

Status
Not open for further replies.