Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Loses and Fails

(16 posts)
  1. owen

owen

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Guys what are your most terrible loses such as pipes dropped over board, tins of tobacco falling open into puddles etc/

I have been reading on the forum today of buffing wheel disasters which I am sure i will soon be experiencing to go in my back catalogue of woodworking disasters.

owen

--------------------------
    Thanks for being a member and participating.

Thread title fixed.

Please use your Shift key in body text as well.

Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules

- Kevin

Posted 5 years ago #
  2. conlejm

conlejm

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Ok, here is one that still causes me to chuckle. A few months ago I bought a 5lb sack of Peter Stokkebye Proper English; a nice inexpensive "working man's" English blend. My plan was to transfer the tobacco into large mason jars (I think they are 64oz; really big ones). While I was putting the tobacco in the jars I was reading this Forum for cellaring tips and tricks. One person recommended putting the jars in hot water for a while and then capping them; as the jars/tobacco cool off, it will create a vacuum inside the jar. This sounded like a good idea, so I stuck a few of these big jars in the sink with their caps off, and I turned the tap on full hot and began to fill the sink, while I continued to transfer the remaining tobacco to jars. Soon I heard clanking of glass coming from the sink and I saw that as the water level rose, it caused my jars to float ... and tip over ... and fill with hot water. I had about two pounds of tobacco in those jars and they were ruined; completely soaked. So now I do not heat my mason jars. Lesson learned. At least it was not a costly lesson; maybe a $50 loss.

Posted 5 years ago #
  3. sailorjeremy

sailorjeremy

Login to Send PM

Lesson learned: If you're a lefty, don't clench your pipe on the left side of your mouth while shooting an M4 assault rifle. Or else, hot brass WILL bounce off the pipe and into your shirt. OUCH!

~ Jeremy "Doc"

"This is not recreation, this is therapy. This is essential... I consider the tobacco I put in my pipe all the grief and suffering. And I will burn it.”- US Navy Chaplain (RET) A.P. Sholtes
    Posted 5 years ago #
  4. natibo

natibo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The day my son got in trouble for drugs at school I was smoking a Dunhill. I dropped it (resulting in a scrape) and smoked it so hard I got burn out

Bo
    Posted 5 years ago #
  5. grouchydog

grouchydog

Login to Send PM

Had an absolutely gorgeous Ben Wade freehand sitter that my friends gave me for high school graduation in 1984. Stayed with me with every move I made, including to our current home. Searched for it when I started smoking pipes last year; it's gone - I've torn up the house looking for it. I think I probably pitched it in a crap-purging fit. Breaks my heart.....

Posted 5 years ago #
  6. zack24

zack24

Mod

Login to Send PM

Maybe 30 years ago I carved a figural dragon pipe- probably spent 30 hours on it. Some low-life stole it from my display case at my shop in Opryland...

Posted 5 years ago #
  7. lostandfound

lostandfound

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When I'm half way through a bowl and the MF'er decides it's not going to stay lit for more then ten seconds no matter how I puff, tamp, or relight, then it starts tasting ashy and I have to settle for smoking half a bowl. That's a half a bowl I lost.

Jerod
    Posted 5 years ago #
  8. settersbrace

settersbrace

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Split a Randy Wiley freehand in two when I smacked it off a shop cabinet door and it hit the concrete. It was as if I was watching it unfold in slow motion.

De gustibus et cloribus non disputandum.
    'There is no arguing about tastes and colours.'
    Posted 5 years ago #
  9. theboz

theboz

Login to Send PM

I have been lucky enough to avoid any of these issues, however one is bound to happen sometime. I almost had the same issue with the water tipping over the jars, but I found that if you use a cooking pot and pack the jars in so that they are all touching it can be prevented.

“There are two types of people; those who come into a room and say, "Well, here I am!" and those who come in and say, "Ah, there you are."-Unknown
    Posted 5 years ago #
  10. sablebrush52

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings

Login to Send PM

As I was learning this hobby and the ways of the briar, I killed any number of pipes through overuse, undercleaning, smoking too hot, etc. But the dumbest happened earlier this year with a Pre-Trans Barling Canadian. I absentmindedly slipped it into a pants pocket while ordering at a burger joint and neglected to remove it before sitting down. I shattered the shank at the end of the mortise. I could have it mended, but it's one of the few really bad pipes that I have bought over the years. I kept on giving it a try with a different blend in hopes that one would click with it, it killed everything. So perhaps it deserved to die.

It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open one's mouth and remove all doubt. - Mark Twain

It is pointless to argue with a fanatic since a dim bulb can't be converted into a searchlight. - Jesse Silver
    Posted 5 years ago #
  11. macabra11

macabra11

Login to Send PM

This thread is depressing. lol

Posted 5 years ago #
  12. condorlover1

condorlover1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Outside of my fabled 'exploding meerschaum' I have had a couple of memorable pipe moments a few of which I have commented on here over time. I had a neighbor when I lived in the country in the UK who used to shoot my clay pipe with a BB gun which was very annoying. I have had a few 'thirds' or rejects explode and fire filler all over the place whilst smoking in a bar. I have dropped tobacco pouches never to be seen again, but touch would I have been rather lucky over the years.

Posted 5 years ago #
  13. admin

Kevin Godbee

Smoking a Pipe Right Now

Login to Send PM

Owen,

Thanks for being a member and participating.

Thread title fixed.

Please use your Shift key in body text as well.

Please see rule 9 here along with the rest of the forum rules

Thanks.

Check Out Our - Pipes Podcast
    Posted 5 years ago #
  14. ejames

ejames

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lesson learned: If you're a lefty, don't clench your pipe on the left side of your mouth while shooting an M4 assault rifle. Or else, hot brass WILL bounce off the pipe and into your shirt. OUCH! [:x]

I must remember that!!

Posted 5 years ago #
  15. bubblehead33

bubblehead33

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Lost the stem from my Brigham pipe. Not a high dollar pipe but the first "good" pipe I bought. Had it with me at work one day, took it apart to clean it and never seen the stem again.

Posted 5 years ago #
  16. daimyo

daimyo

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

In my younger days I was dating a girl for a short time. It started out well enough but soon the crazy started to show. Within a few weeks she was even trying to change the way I showered, insisting I had to douse myself in cold water after my hot shower. When I sat her down in a neutral setting to explain that it just wasn't going to work, she launched into a rant about how each man is a thorn in a bush that was ruining her. It made me uncomfortable enough that I never went back to her place to retrieve my Chacom and a handful of CD's. I now regret that hesitancy because it was my best Chacom. It was a french take on the classic bull/Rhodesian shape and I've yet to see another like it.

Posted 5 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   catyrpelius, redone, alexnc, jiminks