PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Hey guys. I'm putting together an order on P&C that is comprised entirely of Virginia Flakes and here's what I've got so far:
Peterson Irish Flake

McC Blackwoods Flake

Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake

Rattrays Hal O The Wynd
I'm replacing the Irish Flake and Blackwoods Flake tins I've recently finished up, but I really want quite a few more. I'm a big fan of all Virginias, from the sweet, mild honey-coated tastes of MB Virginia No 1 to the strong, deep stomach-turning taste of Peterson's Irish Flake.
Can anyone suggest some great Virginia Flakes? I know cigrmaster is a huge fan of them, so if you happen to read this, I'd personally love your $0.02.
Steve

mluyckx

Lifer
Dec 5, 2011
Texas
Not a pure Virginia as such, but C&D Sunday Picnic is excellent. It's a VA-PER-Turkish flake.

And of course Sam Gawith Full Virginia Flake.

Master Pease's Union Square's not too shabby either.
And then I have some SG Golden Glow and St.James Flake in the cellar, but haven't popped those yet. But from what I've heard and read, they're excellent too.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
HotW, while excellent, is not a flake.

You might want to try Dunhill Flake or Benjamin Hartwell Signature. Both are very good.

Peterson's University Flake and MacBaren Navy Flake, while too high in nic for this camper, both have a very nice taste.
Have fun exploring.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I was under the influence that HotW was a partly-rubbed flake like the Blackwoods Flake. I'll give a look at everything suggested. Keep 'em coming, guys. Thanks!

plet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 23, 2012
Denmark
Dunhill Flake and Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake are a must, if you ask me!

slownumbers39

Can't Leave
Jul 29, 2012
A little while ago I was in the US and I picked up a couple tins of Peterson's Irish Flake as I had never tried flake previous, and I loved the taste and smoke I got from it. My next purchase will be Peterson's University Flake and Dunhill Flake as I have heard some good things about them both. I might get some Blackwoods Flake as well. I look forward to hearing of your experience with your flake purchase, keep us posted.

bassem

Might Stick Around
Nov 20, 2009
If you want a good straight forward Virginia flake, try Iwan Ries IRC Virginia Flake. Just received an order. It's excellent quality very similar to Dunhill Flake.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Steve, I think I remember you ordering some 2012 Christmas Cheer. But if you haven't, that is really good. I've been smoking a whole lot of it lately. C&D Opening Night and After Hours are tasty as well(If I remember correctly they are broken flakes). PS Luxury Bullseye Flake is an excellent VaPer. With the Cavendish center I find this smother and creamier than Escudo. Dan Tobacco - Hamborger Veermaster is amazing but I believe it is sold out at a lot of places now. Keep it in mind for the future though.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
Dunhill Flake

Solani 633 Virginia Flake

Fribourg And Treyer Cut Virginia Plug

Rattray Hal O The Wynd

Rattray Marlin Flake

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake

Escudo

Erinmore Flake

Dan Tobacco Hamborger Veermaster
to name a few.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
was under the influence that HotW was a partly-rubbed flake like the Blackwoods Flake.
It is much more rubbed out that Blackwoods is. I really don't consider it a flake at all. You will not find any big hunks of flake in there, like you would in Blackwoods. Still worth smoking, though.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
One that is absolutely heavenly is Peter Stokkebye luxury bullseye flake! My new favorite.

johnny

Lurker
Sep 30, 2010
Two from Gawith & Hoggarth: Brown Flake and Dark Flake. They both come scented or unscented

mrenglish

Lifer
Dec 25, 2010
Columbus, Ohio
Other Gawith & Hoggarth would be Bright CR Flake and Glengarry Flake. Bright CR is all natural and Glengarry has just a hint of a honeydew topping on it. Both excellent flakes though.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Steve, I think I remember you ordering some 2012 Christmas Cheer. But if you haven't, that is really good.
I haven't had a chance to order some, but I guess it'll go on the order, too. Now if I only had the $300 to get a tin of everything I've read here. I'll go over everyone's suggestion and post what I plan on ordering. Keep suggesting, guys!

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Here is a list of my current rotation, many of them have already been listed. Lot's of great advice on this thread.
F&T Cut Virginia Plug

Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake, Brown Virginia Flake,Brigade Sovereign Curly Cut

John Aylesbury Luxury Flake

Solani Silver Flake

Hamborger Veermaster

Dunhill Flake

SG, Best Brown, FVF, St James Flake

Solani 633

Escudo

Astley's No 44 Dark Flake, 109 Medium Flake

Status
Not open for further replies.