PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
cigrmaster I have taken a lot of your recommendations to heart and I'm looking at a wide variety of the ones you've mentioned...
CVP/WBCDF/Dunhill Flake/Best Brown/St James Flake are all on my next two orders and I am seriously considering all the rest! The more I've read about them the better they sound. Of course I knew about most of them but I have overlooked F&T, Wessex, and Astleys in my past research but now I am going to bump them to the front of the line...

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
sparroa, let me know how you like them, I really enjoy the no bite aspect along with the great flavors. I have a few new flakes coming this week, hopefully I will love them and they will make it into the rotation. I will report on them as soon as I am done testing.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
I'm grabbing some Dunhill Flake and Best Brown from my local B&M today. I'll let you know what I think.

gecko13

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
"Two from Gawith & Hoggarth: Brown Flake and Dark Flake." Both of these are very good, and I really like them. I like the scented versions, with its Lakeland floral scenting. Very rich smoke with a sizable nic hit, so be prepared.
:puffpipe:

sparroa

Lifer
Dec 8, 2010
I have to say that the Lakelands are the only blends in this conversation that do NOTHING for me.
cigarmaster, will do. Most of them I have no intentions of opening but Wessex CDF and St James Flake are going to be sampled for sure within the next week...

gecko13

Feb 2, 2011
Goodyear,AZ
I ordered some Wessex tins on a whim, and I must say I was pleasantly surprised. Very nice; flavorful and cool burning.

mkvillaire

Might Stick Around
Sep 8, 2012
I've been smoking Orlik Golden Sliced. I think its pretty good and the price is right at about $6 for a 50 gram tin. Give it a try.

galeon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 12, 2012
Actually today at the B&M I snagged a tin of Dunhill Flake and I found a tin of 2003 Christmas Cheer and snagged that. I'm going to wait for Christmas to open it, but the tin seems to be in great shape and I'ved got some great hopes. About to fire up[ a bowl of the Dunhill Flake now. Will let you guys know what I think.

kodos44

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 29, 2012
I would agree with a lot of the suggestions here, personally:
Peter Stokkebye Luxury series (twist,bullseye,navy) are all great flakes and are a great bulk value when you find one you really like

Reiner Long Golden Flake - Really tasty but a little pricey, no bulk option :(

Orlik Golden Sliced - Very similar to LGF imo

Gawith and Hoggarth Brown Flake Unscented - An ever so SLIGHT floral hint in the initial light but after that nothing but AMAZING VaBur flake after that. Havent tried the scented

Escudo - In my top 5 favorite tobaccos atm. Can't go wrong with this one
Hal O the Wind is not a flake, but that stuff is tasty as hell, I'm sure you'll enjoy it! Just thought I'd add my small list (with repeats) to the mix. These are all excellent and readily available flakes that I think appeal to a wide variety of pipers. Happy tasting :)
Scott

scurvydog

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 23, 2012
I believe flake is about my favorite. I just had a TAD that consisted of:
SG-1792

SG-FVF

SG-balkan

Pet-UF

Balkan Sasieni

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
As I run throygh the 15 flake sample I got in a trade from JC, I am now smoking SG Best Brown flake and this stuff is freaking awesome. Its so sweet. Burns cool and leaves my mouth tasting as if I just finished a worthers or something. It has climbed into my top 5 tobaccos easily. Ole sam knows haw to make some flake...

mlyvers

Can't Leave
Sep 23, 2012
all great suggestions guys, good job. i enjoy most of the tobacs mentioned here. it is my understanding that PS luxury flake,bullseye and twist are going to be sold by a company called newminster.
take care.
mike.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Shawn, isn't that stuff amazing? It has absolutely no bite at all doesn't it? My only complaint is that you need to dry it significantly before smoking.

jbbaldwin

Aug 1, 2012
I've been making my way through a tin of Peter Heinrich's Dark Strong Flake that was recommended to me at the local B&M as a cheaper almost-as-good substitute for Solani. It's VA and burley, smells of molasses in the tin and smokes sweet with no bite (for me). It's going to be a regular for me. Smokingpipes has it for $25 for 200 grams, so the price is hard to beat.
(My B&M charged me $20 for a 100-gram tin. It's hard to support the local shop with that kind of mark-up, but that's a topic for another thread.)

kalc

Might Stick Around
Sep 7, 2012
Got F & T Cut Virginia plug on Cigrmasters repeated recommendation - am smoking it now - its very flavourful - excellent :puffy:

Also recommend MacB HH old dark fired.

tedvig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 21, 2011
I second the wessex flakes. I especially love the brown VA flake.

Status
Not open for further replies.