PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
And he Hello everyone! New to this game and loving it.
So I started smoking pipes this month. I went to a local tobacco shop and he suggested aromatics, Edward Blend to be exact... not quite the fan. I did buy some Frog Morton, which I have grown fond of. But I also got Balkan Sanesani er whatever its called. And that my friends is some excellent smoke! Now based on that can anyone steer me in some direction towards a solid next purchase?

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
Cheeck these out.
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth-and-home-marquee-black-house#468
http://luxurytobaccoreviews.com/t/hearth--home-magnum-opus#392

philobeddoe

Lifer
Oct 31, 2011
East Indiana
If your new to the pipe, Dunhill 965 would be a good next purchase, as it is the yardstick by which all other English tobaccos are measured.

ghost

Lifer
May 17, 2012
The Blackbloods are circling this one... join us will you not?
Black House.

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
Welcome! I see the gang has already found you. LOL
I would offer you the contrary advice and suggest you try something completely different. Maybe a blend with Virginia and Perique or a nice Virginia. I tend to like the sweet/sour taste I get from VaPers.
Look into Escudo, PS Luxury Bullseye Flake, Lousiana Red, Anniversary Kake, AJ's Vapor, etc. (Only listed the ones I've had experience with.)
Hope to see you around here!

jah76

Lifer
Jun 27, 2012
jpants your going to have a blast. I've had more fun figuring out what I like and don't like and trying new things. It's all so subjective. Hope to keep seeing you around.
Oh and Blackbloods are strange creatures who cloak themselves in the shadows, wearing black heavy terry cloth bathrobes as they prowl the streets looking for new pipe smokers. Upon finding them they pounce and cram the poor newbies pipe with an inky blackness as dark as their soul. Word has it they don't breath air, but instead a strange eldritch ether known as Latakia.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Escudo is one of my favorites, hopefully you will also enjoy it. Just make sure to smoke it slowly and in not too big a pipe. There are many videos on how to prepare flakes. I prefer the cube cut for Escudo, you might want to try all of them, because everyone is different. The others are rubbing it out and the fold and stuff. I would not recommend the fold and stuff for a new smoker. I have been at it a while and still screw that one up at times.
For another suggestion, I would also recommend Fribourg&Treyer Cut Virginia Plug. It is a sweet, citrusy, very tasty VA flake.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
So looks like the order I will place tomorrow morning is lookin alittle like this...
Black House

Blue Mountain

Escundo

...and what else you thiink to give me a nice variety??? Thinkin maybe two more tins...

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
May I recommend Peterson's Old Dublin? It's certainly an "all-day" English and, IMO,much better than Dunhill 965, which I do not care for. You might also want to try Samuel Gawaith Squadron Leader, another all-day sort of English.

jpants

Lurker
Oct 23, 2012
That all sounds good.... but how about some smooke that my lady will like the smell of(not aromactic)... if ya catch my drift. She HATEs the way I smell after spending an hour out back with frog or balkan.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
If you want a blend that your wife will like the smell of, but is not an aromatic, I have no suggestions I can make without knowing her tastes. I would normally suggest a crossover English, but FM is one, and you implied she didn't like that. good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.