Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
    Capstan Yellow Flake
    McClelland Three Oaks
    McClelland Frog Morton series, all of them except "on the Bayou"

and as a general rule of thumb, I don't like spicy tobaccos

What say ye for a "Classic Virginia"?

Thanks for your thoughts

Todd

"Judas Priest, Frank, these are your basic degenerate types, I can smoke them out"
    Posted 2 years ago #
  2. mcitinner1

mcitinner1

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

McClelland, Matured Virginia, Numbers 22, 24, 25, 27, Blackwoods Flake, Dark Star, St. James Woods, 2010 Classic Virginia, 2015 Virginia Perique Flake, and 5100 Red Cake, to name a few.

Stan
    Godfrey Daniels!!
    The Plenipotent Key to Cope's Correct Card of the Peerless Pilgrimage to Saint Nicotine of the Holy Herb:
    Posted 2 years ago #
  3. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Full Virginia Flake ... cube cut.... left out to dry..... gravity packed. End of story

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 2 years ago #
  4. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When someone mentions Virginia, most of us will think McClelland's first.
    I happen to think that a Virginia doesn't have to be pressed and flaked to provide the goods, and I suppose that McClelland's 5100 isn't flaked, so many will suggest this one, or have when this question has been posed previously.
    I like PenHooker a lot. It's supposed to be all VA's, although half of em grown in Canada!
    I'm waiting for some Wind Sail to compare.

Posted 2 years ago #
  5. fitzy

fitzy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

F&T Cut Virginia Plug
    F&T not so Special Brown Flake
    Capstain Blue or Yellow
    Dunhill Flake
    Wessex Brigade Campaign Dark Flake

Any of the McClellands bulk flakes plus like Mctinner mentioned - Blackwood, Dark Star and the matured virginia line.

Also McCranies red ribbon or red flake

"These are ghosts that are more at home in a girdle-filled drawer than one of my pipes." Quote by Neil Archer Roan on lakeland ghosts
    Posted 2 years ago #
  6. newbroom

newbroom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The one that I want to try is the McCranies ribbon (or flake).
    C&D Yorktown or their VA Flake work pretty good, too.

Posted 2 years ago #
  7. bryguysc

bryguysc

Login to Send PM

McClelland:
    Blackwoods Flake
    2010 Classic Virginia
    Christmas Cheer
    Red and Black

Dunhill Flake

Samuel Gawith:
    Full Virginia Flake
    Best Brown Flake

Dan Tobacco Hamburger Veermaster

Posted 2 years ago #
  8. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

This thread mentions many of the good ones. The if you move slightly to the side, you'll get to Va/Pers and a whole new list which seems about as long. But for classic Virginias, McClelland is your focus. Read their whole "menu" and see what looks good, especially in tins, but bulk as well. McClellands seems to specialize in Virginias and all of the nuances and types and blends. If you try around with their blends, carefully and with some attention to the descriptions of the blends, you will likely be a happy smoker. Anything you don't like, send to me (joke).

Posted 2 years ago #
  9. oldreddog

oldreddog

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hal O'the Wynd.

Killing me won't bring back your apples.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  10. atjurhs

atjurhs

Login to Send PM

So after reading a few reviews I'm thinking to give Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and McClelland's #22 a try.

Are these two far apart on the Virgina scale, or somewhat similar. I already enjoy the GL Pease Union Square and Capstan Gold, how do these 4 compare?

like to hear your thoughts!

Todd

Posted 2 years ago #
  11. philobeddoe

Philo Beddoe

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Try Orlik Golden Sliced, Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake & Best Brown Flake, Dunhill Flake, McClelland 5100 & Blackwoods Flake, Rattrays Old Gowrie & Marlin Flake to begin with.

"So it goes." - K.V.
    Posted 2 years ago #
  12. atjurhs

atjurhs

Login to Send PM

So after reading a few reviews I'm thinking to give Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake and McClelland's #22 a try.

Are these two far apart on the Virgina scale, or somewhat similar. I already enjoy the GL Pease Union Square and Capstan Gold, how do these 4 compare?

like to hear your thoughts on THESE four

Todd

Posted 2 years ago #
  13. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

FVF and Cap Yellow are IMO complete opposites. Capitan is brighter and grassier. FVF is darker, deeper, fuller. Think smoky molasses.

Posted 2 years ago #
  14. mothernaturewilleatusallforbreakfast

mothernature

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Well... this is an easy one; Wessex Classic Virginia of course.

Posted 2 years ago #
  15. atjurhs

atjurhs

Login to Send PM

what's the differences in flavor of the different "colored" Virginians?

red, black, yellow, etc...

Posted 2 years ago #
  16. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Full Virginia Flake is awesome. Once you smoke it, you might not want to try another. St James Woods has perique, but is far from spicy. I almost think it's too sweet at times. Dunhill Flake, Solani 633, and Orlik Golden Sliced.

Posted 2 years ago #
  17. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

atjhurs here some information on Virginias, as posted before by woodsroad

"Virginias are primarily classified by their color, and while the exact nuance of hue lends itself to a vast array of categorizations, for practical purposes, think "Red" and "Bright". The relative location of a given leaf on its stalk is what ultimately determines its color; the Brights come from the middle of the stalk and the Reds occur from higher up to the tips. While all Virginias are sweet, the further a leaf moves toward the lighter side of the color spectrum, the sweeter it becomes, but along with that sweetness comes additional acidity and hints of citrus-like tartness. As we move towards progressively darkening colors, along with an increasing depth of flavor comes a taste that shifts to something akin to baking bread."

http://cornellanddiehl.com/about-our-tobaccos.cfm

I guess "black Virginia" gets it's color from stoving/heat? Never heard of black Virginias tbh.

Posted 2 years ago #
  18. User has not uploaded an avatar

kimbiker

Login to Send PM

Peterson Signature flake.
    Solani 633.
    Dunhill Ye Old Signe.

Posted 2 years ago #
  19. User has not uploaded an avatar

Anonymous

Unregistered

Login to Send PM

If I were to explore the world of straight Virginias my top/first 3 picks would be:
    (in particular order)

1. Samuel Gawith Full Virginia Flake (FVF) - said to be one of, if not THE best straight Virginia out there. You can never go wrong with Gawith anyways..!

2. Mac Baren HH Pure Virginia Flake - MBs HH-line is superior, nothing more to say!

3. Robert McConnells Red Virginia - a red Virginia blend, with roasted-qualities as the description says. Same here as the two above - excellent manufacturer, which I'd try any blend (that up my alley) from!

Damn...maybe i SHOULD try some straight VA blends ...^^ But I always feel like it lacks of the "punch" I expect from a smoke.

Good luck on your journey atjhurs!

Posted 2 years ago #
  20. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

red, black, yellow, etc..

Normally, I would not argue with Woods, because he researches his stuff so well. But, in my experience with three years of growing and processing my own Virginia, I have found that report posted by Woods to NOT be the case.
    The link even states "Virginias are the king of tobaccos and the very crop our country was built on," which is incorrect, because Virginias weren't developed until the 1860's.

Top leaves are the newest leaves on the stalk, and have not had as much growth nor exposure to the sun as some tobacco webpages report. And, once put it in the flue to cure, the whole stalk will be one color, depending on the temperatures. Maybe in some flues, the top leaves hanging on the bottom get exposed to more heat, might better explain the link Woods posted. But, in my flue the temperature is very even, so the stalks all come out yellow to orange, which has a more grassy bitey flavor. But, as I push the temperature higher, closer to 180F, the tips of the leaves redden, giving me a red Virginia with the sweetest flavors and a balanced taste. The longer it stays exposed, the more brown it gets, and more earthy the flavor, like dirt. Once you have it cured, you can shread it and keep cooking it further to get a black Virginia, but this takes quite a while. I think I read somewhere that McClelland will allow a blend to age that way for a few years to get that stoved black color, which is the sweetest and mildest of flavors, retaining that grassy taste, but without the bite.

IMO, McClelland is the master of Virginias, preparing it in a variety of ways, experimenting, and keeping it as unadulterated as possible in the process. That doesn't mean that other companies don't do a good job with their Virginias. It just means that IMO, McClelland is a little better, IMO.

FVF is pretty good. Even though those English boys have to import their Virginias, they do a good job of making something palatable. But, in the US, Virginias are catered to from seed to tin by just a few folks, that most likely all know each other and share the same passions. At least I can taste a difference. YMMV

Michael
    Posted 2 years ago #
  21. sasquatch

sasquatch

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I think there are huge differences in style, where the Gawith virginias (all the English virginias I have had actually) are a little muddy/earthy. The german/danish prep seems more like the OGS/Capstan sort of treatment - bright and sweet, lots of middle flavors.

McClelland are in a class by themselves, a totally different flavor profile.

I'd suggest Dunhill Flake, maybe Mellow Mallard as a real sweet "this is what va tastes like" pair. McC 27 is bright and sweet where things like Blackwoods are darker (sweet and pungent and spicey). Best Brown or FVF from Gawith are a world apart from any of these imho. I like Dunhill Flake maybe the most of what I've tried.

Posted 2 years ago #
  22. User has not uploaded an avatar

richardj

Login to Send PM

I can not get my hands on a lot of different pipe tobaccos, have been smoking for 20 years, I smoke Virginia Gold Black and Gold everyday. It at my local Rite Aid. Hope this helps!!

Posted 2 years ago #
  23. mawnansmiff

mawnansmiff

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"But, in the US, Virginias are catered to from seed to tin by just a few folks, that most likely all know each other..."

Probably because they're all related to each other

Regards,

Jay.

...take up thy stethoscope and walk...
    Posted 2 years ago #
  24. atjurhs

atjurhs

Login to Send PM

red, black, yellow, etc..

Posted 2 years ago #
  25. atjurhs

atjurhs

Login to Send PM

reporting back...

I added to my two Virginian's (GL Pease Union Square and Capstan Gold Cut), McClelland's #22 and 5100 Red Cake, and Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. Have enjoyed all three of them! Samuel Gawith's and the 5100 Red Cake, have a pretty good nicotine hit. I'll remember that when I'm looking for a little extra buzz

Posted 2 years ago #
  26. python

Bob

Would Smoke Rabbits if He Could Keep them Lit

Login to Send PM

Ashdigger Said: Full Virginia Flake ... cube cut.... left out to dry..... gravity packed. End of story

I concur. It doesn't get more classic than that. A delicious too.

"When the Government Fears the People, There is Liberty;
    When the People Fear the Government, There is Tyranny." - Thomas Jefferson
    Posted 2 years ago #
  27. markfreburg

markfreburg

Login to Send PM

I often wonder why certain pipe smokers seem to comment on "nicotine hit." I see this especially often in tobacco reviews where it's written up as a positive thing. I comment only because someone said something similar in this thread. This is the last thing on my mind unless something is so powerful it might be wise to smoke it on a full stomach, preferably after a lot of red meat. But wanting a "nicotine buzz?" But, to each, his own. I mean no offense by my comment, just putting my lack of understanding on display, I suppose.

Anyone ever try Gawith & Hoaggarth's Kendall Gold? A different Virginia. By the way, Virginia tobacco is grown everywhere, some of the best is grown in Africa. It seems some folks have a prejudice for 'Merican Virginias (beat chest here), but I'm not sure why. It's not like St. James Parish Perique--good Virginias don't have to be grown OR processed here in the USA.

Mark

Posted 2 years ago #
  28. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

The nicotine is inportant for some of us. Some smoke "just" for taste, I supose. Taste is important, but without the relaxing effects of nicotine, I'd have picked a less obnoxious and cheaper hobby. So, the level of nicotine is worth mentioning... and paramount for many of us.

Posted 2 years ago #
  29. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

And then there are those like me, who don't seem to register any particular notice of how much nicotine is in most pipe tobacco. Except for certain notorious exceptions like Five Brothers, I honestly can't render an opinion on whether a particular blend is high, low or medium in nicotine. I smoke, most days, 2-3 bowls of various types of pipe tobacco, maybe a small cigar and at no time during the day do I feel the need to go buy a pack of cigarettes or a box of nicotine gum. The only times in over 50 years of smoking I have experienced a nicotine buzz are when I pick up smoking after an enforced absence, such as hospitalization, where I refuse to ask for nicotine patches since I don't want any hospital file labeling me as a smoker. (My cardiologist knows It​ smoke pipes and cigars, don't inhale and has never told me to quit, but we have a personal relationship that long precedes my being her patient and as far as her staff knows,I am a non-smoking, and her files reflect that.)

But YMMV. I know one individual who mostly lurks this forum who never could transition completely away from cigarettes until, on the advice of Jim Beard, he took up SG Rum Flake. The jury is out on whether that has extended his life expectancy.

Posted 2 years ago #
  30. josephcross

josephcross

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke mostly for flavour. Nicotine isn't the first thing on my priority list, and though I don't smoke seeking it out, I do miss it when I don't feel anything at all.

Posted 2 years ago #
  31. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

@markfreburg, yes good tobacco can be grown in many countries. The export however might very well be limited to what a state owned monopoly processes, which might well be strip processed to the multinational cigarette companies specifications. Whether it really matters if such tobacco can still be technically called Virginia is a matter of debate.

Posted 2 years ago #
  32. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mr Oldgeezer; Is there any particular reason You don't wanna no remarks on hospital record you being as a smoker, here where I live no one seems be interested in this fact more than they usually do formally pose this question.
    As for Virginas, jus now I'm choochin'this HU Tobacco-Germany Sunset flake and can highly recommend it,where possible, yes some similarities are to be found with perhaps Capstan blue tobacco.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 2 years ago #
  33. User has not uploaded an avatar

oldgeezersmoker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

If I have a medical issue, I want doctors to look for the root of the problem, not just tell me to quit smoking. I believe smokers are treated as second class citizens by our medical system. My ex was a doctor, she told me that the same thing happened to patients who were FFF - female, fat and 40. They get told to go home and lose weight. Doctors are human, they tend to be overworked, and too often they take the quick and easy way to move on to the next patient. The way the computer records are kept there is no differentiation between someone who smokes a few bowls of tobacco daily and does not inhale and someone who chain smokes three packs of unfiltered Lucky Strikes.

Also, I am presently on Medicare. Neither Medicare not my supplement have premium ratings for smoker status. Will that change? Who knows.

Posted 2 years ago #
  34. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Oldgeezersmoker: Thank You for input on this,pretty interesting,today this medicare thing seems be quite a problematic issue in the States.
    Ps,Forget to mention among my most beloved U.S made cigarette brands are just like unfiltered Luckies and Old Gold Straights
    in recent years I was surpriced to learn that these two brands are yet Camel unfiltered are becoming much difficultier to find at many local supermarkets or groceries))

Posted 2 years ago #
  35. willieg

willieg

Login to Send PM

to me, the classic virginia is dunhill flake.

Posted 2 years ago #
  36. aristokles

aristokles

Login to Send PM

While SG FVF is certainly commendable in this quest, my recommendation is Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake - I can't seem to buy enough of this stuff.

Posted 2 years ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   ebnash, cossackjack, jaytex969, cshubhra, georged, nhhiggy, oldgeezersmoker, ashdigger