PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"But, in the US, Virginias are catered to from seed to tin by just a few folks, that most likely all know each other..."
Probably because they're all related to each other :rofl:
Regards,
Jay.

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
what's the differences in flavor of the different "colored" Virginians?
red, black, yellow, etc..

atjurhs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2017
reporting back...
I added to my two Virginian's (GL Pease Union Square and Capstan Gold Cut), McClelland's #22 and 5100 Red Cake, and Samuel Gawith's Full Virginia Flake. Have enjoyed all three of them! Samuel Gawith's and the 5100 Red Cake, have a pretty good nicotine hit. I'll remember that when I'm looking for a little extra buzz :)

markfreburg

Lurker
May 25, 2017
I often wonder why certain pipe smokers seem to comment on "nicotine hit." I see this especially often in tobacco reviews where it's written up as a positive thing. I comment only because someone said something similar in this thread. This is the last thing on my mind unless something is so powerful it might be wise to smoke it on a full stomach, preferably after a lot of red meat. :D But wanting a "nicotine buzz?" But, to each, his own. I mean no offense by my comment, just putting my lack of understanding on display, I suppose.
Anyone ever try Gawith & Hoaggarth's Kendall Gold? A different Virginia. By the way, Virginia tobacco is grown everywhere, some of the best is grown in Africa. It seems some folks have a prejudice for 'Merican Virginias (beat chest here), but I'm not sure why. It's not like St. James Parish Perique--good Virginias don't have to be grown OR processed here in the USA. :wink:
Mark

Oct 7, 2016
And then there are those like me, who don't seem to register any particular notice of how much nicotine is in most pipe tobacco. Except for certain notorious exceptions like Five Brothers, I honestly can't render an opinion on whether a particular blend is high, low or medium in nicotine. I smoke, most days, 2-3 bowls of various types of pipe tobacco, maybe a small cigar and at no time during the day do I feel the need to go buy a pack of cigarettes or a box of nicotine gum. The only times in over 50 years of smoking I have experienced a nicotine buzz are when I pick up smoking after an enforced absence, such as hospitalization, where I refuse to ask for nicotine patches since I don't want any hospital file labeling me as a smoker. (My cardiologist knows It​ smoke pipes and cigars, don't inhale and has never told me to quit, but we have a personal relationship that long precedes my being her patient and as far as her staff knows,I am a non-smoking, and her files reflect that.)
But YMMV. I know one individual who mostly lurks this forum who never could transition completely away from cigarettes until, on the advice of Jim Beard, he took up SG Rum Flake. The jury is out on whether that has extended his life expectancy.

josephcross

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 30, 2015
I smoke mostly for flavour. Nicotine isn't the first thing on my priority list, and though I don't smoke seeking it out, I do miss it when I don't feel anything at all.

Oct 7, 2016
@markfreburg, yes good tobacco can be grown in many countries. The export however might very well be limited to what a state owned monopoly processes, which might well be strip processed to the multinational cigarette companies specifications. Whether it really matters if such tobacco can still be technically called Virginia is a matter of debate.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Mr Oldgeezer; Is there any particular reason You don't wanna no remarks on hospital record you being as a smoker, here where I live no one seems be interested in this fact more than they usually do formally pose this question.

As for Virginas, jus now I'm choochin'this HU Tobacco-Germany Sunset flake and can highly recommend it,where possible, yes some similarities are to be found with perhaps Capstan blue tobacco.

Oct 7, 2016
If I have a medical issue, I want doctors to look for the root of the problem, not just tell me to quit smoking. I believe smokers are treated as second class citizens by our medical system. My ex was a doctor, she told me that the same thing happened to patients who were FFF - female, fat and 40. They get told to go home and lose weight. Doctors are human, they tend to be overworked, and too often they take the quick and easy way to move on to the next patient. The way the computer records are kept there is no differentiation between someone who smokes a few bowls of tobacco daily and does not inhale and someone who chain smokes three packs of unfiltered Lucky Strikes.
Also, I am presently on Medicare. Neither Medicare not my supplement have premium ratings for smoker status. Will that change? Who knows.

Jul 28, 2016
Finland-Scandinavia-EU
Oldgeezersmoker: Thank You for input on this,pretty interesting,today this medicare thing seems be quite a problematic issue in the States.

Ps,Forget to mention among my most beloved U.S made cigarette brands are just like unfiltered Luckies and Old Gold Straights

in recent years I was surpriced to learn that these two brands are yet Camel unfiltered are becoming much difficultier to find at many local supermarkets or groceries))

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
While SG FVF is certainly commendable in this quest, my recommendation is Samuel Gawith Best Brown Flake - I can't seem to buy enough of this stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.