Looking for first Meerschaum

(16 posts)
  • Started 2 weeks ago by jjarrett88
  • Latest reply from scloyd
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

jjarrett88

Login to Send PM

Hey guys,

Looking for my first meerschaum pipe, but don’t know much about quality in Meerschaum. Are there particular makers that I should be looking for? Not looking to spend $200, but I don’t want cheap garbage either. Any thoughts are appreciated.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. malicev

malicev

Login to Send PM

I just got my first one today. I smoked half a bowl and loved it. I far exceeded my expectations. I only spent around 100$ from smoking pipes. Its beautiful and there was no question it brought out the flavor more than my other pipes.

Posted 1 week ago #
  3. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I would check out these Meers. If they were not quality, SP wouldn't sell them.
    https://www.smokingpipes.com/pipes/new/AKB/

Harris
    Posted 1 week ago #
  4. alexnc

alexnc

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I’m not well versed in Meer, but can safely say IMP at Meerschaum market is very good. Only have one, but it’s flawless with a push pull Delrin tenon and mortise. Budget may be a concern. They run more like 220 to 300 plus

Goo Goo g’joob
    Posted 1 week ago #
  5. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I only have one Meer, a cultured Straumbach and it is an absolute delight. Bought it off of ebay a few years ago for around $100 I think.

Posted 1 week ago #
  6. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

A Forums member sent me an estate Meer that I thoroughly enjoy, but I have never bought one, either estate or new. From what I read, two desirable features are a push-bit, as opposed to screw-on stem, and carved block Meerschaum rather than composite (powder made back into a solid). My pipe has a screw-on stem, but it works fine. Meers give definition and clarity to blends. Find a good pipe and you will certainly enjoy it.

Posted 1 week ago #
  7. User has not uploaded an avatar

michiganlover

Login to Send PM

I don't yet have a Meer either, and was strongly looking at the AKB from Smoking Pipes. Anyone who own one have an opinion?

Posted 1 week ago #
  8. alaskanpiper

alaskanpiper

Login to Send PM

I don't yet have a Meer either, and was strongly looking at the AKB from Smoking Pipes. Anyone who own one have an opinion?

Just bought one of these. Mini churchwarden calabashy type deal. Hoping to test it out tomorrow. I will report back.

"We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that death will tremble to take us." ---Hank

"Yeah, well, you know that's just like, uh, your opinion, man..." --- The Dude
    Posted 1 week ago #
  9. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Caution: Don't assume the photos you see give a great presentation of size; A 5" pipe looks the same as a 7" pipe when the objects are the same size in a photo representation.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 1 week ago #
  10. brooklynpiper

brooklynpiper

Login to Send PM

As JP said know your specs, also don't be afraid to ask about push-fit or screw-in. SP mostly sells push-fit, but elsewhere is more of a screw, push or hybrid plastic sitch. I'm not saying screw-in is bad, but know what you're getting into.

Posted 1 week ago #
  11. folanator

folanator

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a Teken, a Baur and an IMP. All are fantastic. Pretty much anything you get off of SP will be of quality. Just pick a shape you like and let 'er rip. Meers are a great change of pace.

Posted 1 week ago #
  12. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

Cup O Joe's has some new meers in with their logo on em that I've had my eye on for a bit. https://www.cupojoes.com/tobacco-pipes/cup-o-joes-yeti-pipes/

Posted 1 week ago #
  13. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

An example:

This Cup O' Joes Yeti Meerschaum pipe comes as an elegantly curved Bent Pot with the Cup O' Joes Yeti logo stamped on the front, and a bright red acrylic stem. Genuine block Meerschaum. Made in Turkey.

Pipe Details

Shape: Bent Pot
    Length: 5.80 in.
    Bowl Height: 1.64 in.
    Outside Diameter: 1.22 in.
    Chamber Depth: 1.21 in.
    Chamber Diameter: 0.63 in.
    Weight: 1.00 oz.
    Stem Material: Acrylic
    Filter: No

Posted 1 week ago #
  14. yuda

yuda

Login to Send PM

^ thanks for posting the pic. Bit distracted here at work and I'm not that great with posting on my phone.

Posted 1 week ago #
  15. crashthegrey

crashthegrey

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have been very happy with Meerschaum Depot. Ramazan is a great guy and helped me greatly. If you call him he will help you find what you are looking for and knows the carvers personally, as well as carving pipes himself. Many meers are in the $100 range from what I recall.

Posted 1 week ago #
  16. scloyd

scloyd

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I picked up my first meer at the Chicago Pipe Show for $54 (with show discount). It's approximately 5.5" and has a push/pull fitting. For my first meer and the price...I like it. I'll definitely buy a nicer meer in the future.

Posted 1 week ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   5star, cortezattic, peckinpahhombre, timt, jeff540, pappymac, lasttango, celticbrewer