PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jjarrett88

Lurker
May 20, 2019
Hey guys,
Looking for my first meerschaum pipe, but don’t know much about quality in Meerschaum. Are there particular makers that I should be looking for? Not looking to spend $200, but I don’t want cheap garbage either. Any thoughts are appreciated.

malicev

Lurker
Jun 11, 2019
Atlanta GA
I just got my first one today. I smoked half a bowl and loved it. I far exceeded my expectations. I only spent around 100$ from smoking pipes. Its beautiful and there was no question it brought out the flavor more than my other pipes.

alexnc

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 25, 2015
Southeast US
I’m not well versed in Meer, but can safely say IMP at Meerschaum market is very good. Only have one, but it’s flawless with a push pull Delrin tenon and mortise. Budget may be a concern. They run more like 220 to 300 plus

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A Forums member sent me an estate Meer that I thoroughly enjoy, but I have never bought one, either estate or new. From what I read, two desirable features are a push-bit, as opposed to screw-on stem, and carved block Meerschaum rather than composite (powder made back into a solid). My pipe has a screw-on stem, but it works fine. Meers give definition and clarity to blends. Find a good pipe and you will certainly enjoy it.

michiganlover

Can't Leave
May 10, 2014
I don't yet have a Meer either, and was strongly looking at the AKB from Smoking Pipes. Anyone who own one have an opinion?

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I don't yet have a Meer either, and was strongly looking at the AKB from Smoking Pipes. Anyone who own one have an opinion?
Just bought one of these. Mini churchwarden calabashy type deal. Hoping to test it out tomorrow. I will report back.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Caution: Don't assume the photos you see give a great presentation of size; A 5" pipe looks the same as a 7" pipe when the objects are the same size in a photo representation.

brooklynpiper

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2018
As JP said know your specs, also don't be afraid to ask about push-fit or screw-in. SP mostly sells push-fit, but elsewhere is more of a screw, push or hybrid plastic sitch. I'm not saying screw-in is bad, but know what you're getting into.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
I have a Teken, a Baur and an IMP. All are fantastic. Pretty much anything you get off of SP will be of quality. Just pick a shape you like and let 'er rip. Meers are a great change of pace.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
An example:
coj_meers_cojymbpot_3__66718.1553019673.JPG

This Cup O' Joes Yeti Meerschaum pipe comes as an elegantly curved Bent Pot with the Cup O' Joes Yeti logo stamped on the front, and a bright red acrylic stem. Genuine block Meerschaum. Made in Turkey.
Pipe Details
Shape: Bent Pot

Length: 5.80 in.

Bowl Height: 1.64 in.

Outside Diameter: 1.22 in.

Chamber Depth: 1.21 in.

Chamber Diameter: 0.63 in.

Weight: 1.00 oz.

Stem Material: Acrylic

Filter: No

yuda

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2017
^ thanks for posting the pic. Bit distracted here at work and I'm not that great with posting on my phone.

crashthegrey

Lifer
Dec 18, 2015
Cobleskill, NY
www.greywoodie.com
I have been very happy with Meerschaum Depot. Ramazan is a great guy and helped me greatly. If you call him he will help you find what you are looking for and knows the carvers personally, as well as carving pipes himself. Many meers are in the $100 range from what I recall.

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
I picked up my first meer at the Chicago Pipe Show for $54 (with show discount). It's approximately 5.5" and has a push/pull fitting. For my first meer and the price...I like it. I'll definitely buy a nicer meer in the future.

20190504_151901-edited-600x382.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.