PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
First of all - I saw this somewhere, but I don't recall where. I'm certainly not the first person to think of this. I took fullsize round tins and photocopied them at 85% - 90% on my personal printer/scanner/fax that we most all have these days. Rectangular tins I just copied at full size. Then I simply placed the lid on the paper, tracing the part that I wanted as my new lid topper, and cut out the circle. You can see here everything from a round tin (Orlik Golden Sliced), large rectangle (Squadron Leader), Medium rectangle, (Old Dark Fired), small rectangle (Brown Flake), oversized rectangle (Solani Silver), and even an 8 oz bag (Stonehaven).

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Nice! Only consideration- when stacked, there's no info showing.
(And you could well have seen it here; I did a about six months ago.)

Sep 18, 2015
I like it! A buddy of mine does something similar but instead of putting the label on the top he wraps it around the jar itself. Myself I use a return address label, I can fit all the pertinent info on a 1/2 x 1 3/4 (name, date, types of tobacco strength) works for me.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
Simple but nice idea. Wish it worked on the snap lid jars I use (I don't store a lot of tobacco). For simple labeling though, I want to pick up a roll of office paper tape to label sides. Easy to put on, easy to take off. No tape involved.

mayfair70

Lifer
Sep 14, 2015
Great Idea. I love it. I'll have to use it from now on, since I can't read my own chicken scratchings. :)

jerwynn

Lifer
Dec 7, 2011
Similar to my method... I capture a jpeg of a tin/label off of websites (spc's photography is awesome) and save them to my desktop... crop them to perfect circles or rectangles, and paste a batch into a word-doc at the largest dimension being 2.5". That fits exactly inside the ring of that exact size of mason/bell jar that jmatt showed. My problem with labels that fit the whole lid was everytime I gave a firm twist of the lids back on, that would tear at the labels.(oh.. affixed with "permanent" office paste glue) Here's what they look like in practice:

tobinv3-ld-600x413.jpg

There's still a couple too-large ones, but there's the basic idea. I get the fun of the original labels on the jars without interference from the rings. If I don't know the tin info by heart, I paste the descriptive panels on the bottoms. (I study and read A LOT before I buy a blend, so once I've got it, I pretty much know the story!)

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Nice job! :clap: I affix them with Scotch double-sided tape.

It's fun and practical to use replicas of original labels, and bulks allow for some individuality:

HauntedLabel.jpg

gtrhtr

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 2, 2016
I would've never thought of that, but after seeing it, it makes perfect sense. Great idea.

jmatt

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 25, 2014
Solution to tearing: Don't glue them. They should be easy to place lined up when you screw the outer ring on.
Yes. I don't tape, glue, or otherwise stick the labels on top. If you're real OCD it might take a couple of tighten/untighten cycles to get the label lined up perfectly when the lid is tight. But otherwise - no issues.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
WOW Great idea. Now if I can just convince my wife. I'm all thumbs so she'll have to do it.

Status
Not open for further replies.