PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

quincy

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 7, 2013
I ran out of Nightcap. Scary start, I know. I needed more Nightcap. What the Hell am I supposed to do without Nightcap? I finished a funeral service today for a loved church member, cried a little with the family, and hopped in the car. More Nightcap would fix this! So, I headed to my B&M about 45 minutes away. I brought my brother-in-law with me. He's 25 and never been to a tobacconist. We got there and Jerry and I greeted each other as we normally do and we headed back to the pipes and tobaccos. I grabbed my Nightcap and a tin of Presbyterian. Then, I turned my attention to the pipes... just to drool over the Caminetto New Dears. I showed them to my brother-in-law who I've been talking to about them and whispered, "One day..."
Then I noticed those sweet, sweet Arminellis. I love em. I have two already. There's something about the sandblasting on them or how the smoke fans out from the bit into my mouth. They get warm when you smoke them. Friendly warm. Good warm. My wallet started to burn in the back of my slacks. "Jerry," I said, "Open the case."

"Sorry, Reverend. You can't have one."

"Excuse me, Jerry?"

"You have enough. You know what they're like. Not your pipe today."

"Jerry, you're going to sell me one of those pipes," I said. I had a rough day. I wanted one of those pipes.

"Nope. If you want a pipe, you're going to buy this one. I've had it for 7 years sitting here and hiding it waiting for the right person."
He pulled out this bent Ascorti and told me he would give me about 1/3 off the sticker which already unreasonably low because it was priced to sell in 2005. Then he proceeded to pull out the Meershaum I'm going to buy next. Then the Ben Wade that I needed. Next, we looked at some Pipes that were actually made in England so I would know what a proper English pipe smoked like. He talked to me about the need to stop sticking with what I'm comfortable with and branch out and explore. He told me he would set pipes aside and to send my wife and/or parents and/or friends to him and he would hand them the pipe I needed for Christmas and Father's Day and my birthday.
Well, I told my brother-in-law that not a word could be uttered to my wife (his sister) about what he was about to see. I bought the Ascorti. She's going to kill me. But the Wizard had spoken and his spell was cast. I was powerless. We got in the car and my brother-in-law looked at me and said, "When you first told me it would take us an hour or two for you to pick up some tobacco, I thought you were nuts. Now, I totally get why you come here and buy from him instead of other places." We drove home, smoking some Frog Morton on the Bayou (I asked for a Perique recommendation) in my new Ascorti , Nightcap replenished, Escudo coming in, and plenty to think about and reflect on about pipes and tobaccos.

Sorry for the bad picture.

batdemon

Dec 20, 2011
What a wonderful story and what a lucky man you are to have such a tobacconist. :clap:

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Hmmmmm now I'm thinking I need to pop a tin a Nightcap, it's been a while... Not to mention the damn PAD... Great story, keep 'em coming!

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
Quincy:
What a superb recap of your day!
Thank you for doing God's good work: burying the dead and comforting the family.
Be sure and thank your lucky stars to have a tobacconist like Jerry. Yeah, he probably upsold you a bit - maybe a lot - but he nudged you in the right direction and that isn't a bad thing at all. Your new Ascorti is lovely and I hope it gives you many years of smoking pleasure, friend.
Fnord

quincy

Feb 7, 2013
Here's the thing: He didn't up-sale me at all. In fact, he threatened to charge me more if I got the Armellini and if I told you what I walked away with that Ascorti for I would have to comfort you!

mirain

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2011
That's the kind of place I'd make a special trip to visit. Only thing is that I'd have to have a pocket full of $$. Sounds like a great place and a caring shop owner. Extremely rare these days.

Aug 14, 2012
All I can say is I am thankful for the internet so I don't have to buy from someone who tries to decide for me.

flyguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2012
My tobacconist said I knew more about pipes and pipe tobacco than he did... A bad sign...A very bad sign. :oops:

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
That's a beautiful looking pipe. I hope you are rewarded with many hours of pleasure and relaxation.

That would be time best spent writing more for us forum denizens, who need an uplifting story now and then. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.