New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, it's been on national news, while our local news ignores it, but there's over 250,000 gallons of gas saturating the soil about 2 miles from my farm, or what is left of my farm. After this drought took one more year of corn, I sold off a major chunk to pay for some remodeling on the house and studio, which is in town. I've been traveling on the weekends, but today I came back to a funny smell in the air.

If you've not seen it, a pipeline running through the wildlife management area in Alabama started leaking, and it leaked for a whole week before anyone realized. Now, I'm not so sure it's safe to smoke at the farm. Everyone tells us that there's no danger in breathing these gas fumes. But, ha ha, I find that hard to believe. My closest neighbor out there has everyone in their house sick. And, schools have had record absenses since last week, before anyone knew about the leak.

Today, I've let family living on the farm come stay at my house, which is a mile or so further away. So, contractors running about, my yahoo family is camped in every crevasse of the house, and their damned pets, ha ha, and my goat, Jackstraw, is tied up in my backyard throwing a fit.
I'll be taking a walk about town to smoke. And, I may take Jackstraw with me. If you've ever tried to walk a goat, this may just be the most hysterical sight ever in town. All this gas is giving me gas. Ugg!

pagan

Lifer
May 6, 2016
West Texas
I feel so bad for you, there will be long term damage, just think of the water table damage, be pray'n for you

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
Keep track of all out of pocket costs due to the situation and try to get an assessment of damages, changes in routine, displacement, etc. There may not be a windfall but, you should recover losses and perhaps damages. There will be suits, trust me.

They keep telling us that there is no seepage into the water table. Hmmm... At least our water treatment and my farm and house are upstream. But, downstream is some of the most impoverished areas of the state. Unfortunately, no one here has their backs.

Thanks Warren, I'll keep the numbers.

stickframer

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2015
That does not sound good. Praying for ya over here, too.
What else can I say.

hextor

Sep 20, 2015
wow man, thats rough, I hope it gets better for you, how bout a picture of jackstraw, sounds like a fun companion to hang around.

skraps

Sep 9, 2015
Sorry to hear about that. Really sucks. Hopefully it doesn't do long term damage, but I guess only time will tell.
Pictures of the goat walking or it didn't happen.

Ha ha, no... Walking the goat didn't happen. He tends to want to do exactly the opposite of what I want. Just getting him into my backyard was a chore. I thought that I had a picture on my phone, but I must have lost it in the upgrade. I'll snap one in the daylight. He is the last of my attempts at making a full working farm. In doing so, I learned that sheep die really freaking easily. Cows, you really need quite a few to make any money. And goats are the easiest, but unless you like their milk... Well, they're pointless ha ha. Yearlings were yummy, but goats don't produce fast enough. I still have rabbits, but I keep them here at the house. Pigs... Nope.
The smell is peculiar. It's not like regular gasoline. They must be putting something else out there.

Jan 8, 2013
Sorry to hear you're going through that, Cosmic. It's a dang shame in so many ways, for those whose land it might be affecting, for environment, and wildlife.

carver

Mar 29, 2015
Belgium
First I want to say. Your sense of humour... with that hook... in that situation ...
meh ...
For the rest, sorry to hear that.

This doesn't sound like good times. It actually seems like it's going to get worse before it gets better.

If you need moral support, you gotta it! Unfortunately I don't really what else to do.

But to be honest, from what you wrote, it does seem like the biggest challenge for you will be the family at your house...

I hope all settles down well quickly and nicely

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
When I saw the title, I thought you were playing a word game with G.L. Pease's Gaslight. Sorry to hear that. By the way, I think I found a photo of your goat:
Dan-Bilzerian-Goat-Zeus.png

fluffie666

Can't Leave
Apr 4, 2014
I feel for you cosmic. That's an atrocity. I don't watch the news because I'm offended by the media. I hope some of you get pissed off enough to have the right people hear about this situation and something gets done. A clean up, medical help, compensation, etc. The squeaky wheel gets the grease. A shift in consciousness from greed to welfare in the "powers that be" is the best case scenario. That's a tall and unlikely order these days. I truly hope you fine folks get some help. My prayers are with you also.

Jun 4, 2014
Cosmic, sorry to hear your involved in that mess, I remember seeing it on the national news. I would also be spectical when they tell you about no danger from the fumes or there will be no damage to the water aquafier. The problem with any Haz-Mat incident is the long term damage can be hard to predict.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Why are gas spills always the bad ones? We never get "there's been a massive Nitrous oxide spill and everyone's laughing" or a "terrible helium leak has everyone talking like cartoons".

Those gases must be cared for more carefully than the dangerous ones.

And, I never hear about helium mines.

The irony is that they forced me to spend $4,000 to remove an old oil tank on my property this summer. I had to pay the EPA and have tests run... "because oil and gas will go immediately to the water table and kill everyone."

But, when a quarter of a million gallons of gas leaks out into the ground... "No big deal folks, everything is going to be OK."
They have the road to the farm closed. I'm glad we worked all day yesterday to get everything off there that would need our attention. Sheesh. The mayor said that he would take me on a tour of the mess at some point today. I'm not holding my breath. But, he does smoke a pipe too, so...

macaroon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 2, 2015
Michigan
Terribly sorry to hear about the situation, Cosmic. I'm afraid I can't say much beyond that, otherwise I risk falling into an angry rant about oil pipelines, but I wish you and the rest of your town the best in dealing with this mess.

Status
Not open for further replies.