PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jitterbugdude

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 25, 2014
I wouldn't worry too much about the gas since the Government says there's no danger. Don't forget too that if you like your health care provider you can keep your health care provider.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Michael, I'm really sorry to hear this news. I hope that the cleanup is easy and quick and that just turns into a colossal inconvenience for a short time.
Sending you, Jackstraw, and the rest of the Cosmic-family good vibes!
-- Pat

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
Everyone tells us that there's no danger in breathing these gas fumes. But, ha ha, I find that hard to believe.
Very sorry to hear of this spill. FWIW: yes, gas fumes are harmful in concentration.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
<p>An old married couple no sooner hit the pillows when the old man passes gas and says, 'Seven Points.'<br />
His wife rolls over and says, 'What in the world was that?' The old man replied, 'its fart football.'<br />
A few minutes later his wife lets one go and says, 'Touchdown, tie score...'<br />
After about five minutes the old man lets another one go and says, 'Aha. I'm ahead 14 to 7.'<br />
Not to be outdone the wife rips out another one and says, 'Touchdown, tie score.'<br />
Five seconds go by and she lets out a little squeaker and says, 'Field goal, I lead 17 to 14.' Now the pressure is on for the old man.<br />
He refuses to get beaten by a woman, so he strains real hard.<br />
Since defeat is totally unacceptable, he gives it everything he's got, and accidentally poops in the bed.<br />
The wife says, 'What the hell was that?'<br />
The old man says, 'Half time, switch sides<br />

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
In the movie "The Bucket List" one of the finest points of wisdom ever heard, was Jack Nicholson's line...

"Never trust a fart". 8O :rofl:

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
There's no hurry. The responsible people are trying to reduce exposure early in the process. You should be looking for a recovery of any damages which does not preclude a suit in the future for any undiscovered problems attributable to the leak. I'm sure there is a window, a nebulous one, after which it'll be tough to make a case. Twenty years? Fifty years?

perdurabo

Lifer
Jun 3, 2015
Glad your ass cleared up, Cosmic. Hope no one signed a waiver around your nasty ass.

tmb152

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2016
They keep telling us that there is no seepage into the water table. Hmmm...
Cosmic, one thing public officials at all levels have taught me, whether federal, state or local:
It's never any problem at all until they can no longer sit on the fact that it is a major calamity totally out of control, if they tell you the problem is X big, then it is really 10X big, they have everything under control until there is no further denying the fact that they are grossly negligent and never had any control at all, and there is absolutely no danger to the community at all until things are so far gone that the governor himself is moving out of the area; then everyone remain calm and do not panic.
If your water is ground water, watch and smell it very carefully. Sounds to me like they will have to dig up and remove many thousands of tons of soil and take it away somewhere to fully fix the situation. Best of luck.

Luckily the spill is down stream from us on the river. The Riverkeepers organization has been combing the area and watching the easily bought EPA. They've also been testing the waters. So far, if something was amiss, it would have been screamed across the media... maybe. Ha ha, you never know.
But, they came by with the giftcard today. Nothing had to be signed. They just wanted to apologize in person for the inconvenience. It felt weird, awkward.
The Wildlife Management Areas are a vast piece of weirdness in our state. There is very little wildlife managing going on. We get an annual report from the state, because the farm is grandfathered on it. But, our state spends a huge amount of our money on what are called "Wildlife Managers and Rangers." But the only duty they have is to keep the roads graded for heavy trucks that use it. They don't even check hunting permits. Any out-of-state company can come in and take for free any natural resource it wants from here; natural gas, wood, rock, coal, steel, etc... They just have to file a claim... for free. However, no in-state business may do this without paying taxes. So, no in-state businesses mine here. Therefore, Alabama allows out-of-state businesses to come in and take our natural resources for free, while we pay for the roads. However, when we bring this up in state, our elected officials all claim that we are wanting to tax businesses; "evil taxes, how dare we suggest...." Meanwhile, us landowners here cannot even cut firewood out there. I can hunt and fish it, but there is really not much left but stumps and huge holes. Meanwhile, our elected officials receive huge sums of money to stay in power. Not even our mayor or County Commissioner had any idea that there were gas lines out there.

aldecaker

Lifer
Feb 13, 2015
Wow, interesting situation you have there in AL. It seems analogous to the situation the country is in as a whole- outside interests are far more important than putting citizens' interests first.

UPDATE!

The gas line just exploded five to ten miles from the farm. I could see the mushroom cloud from the house in town. Some clean up crewmen were burned and injured, so prayers to them. They will start excavating a three mile area around the blast site. WOW!

Good thing my heart is good. I may have to get out of bed and drive out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.