Is There An Audience for a Pipe Podcast?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jul 15, 2011
I want to start off by saying to the Moderators that if this violates any of the forum rules in any way, I apologize and it is not my intent to break the rules. I am just simply trying to get an idea as to popular opinion and not trying to advertise myself or any material outside of Pipes Magazine.
That being said, I think I would like to try and take the initiative of starting up a pipe podcast. I know there was a thread about this some time ago, but it kind of died out without much real thought given to it. But the more I think about it, the more I think I could pull off a podcast if I covered a variety of topics, from pipe restoration to pipe reviews and tobacco talk, pipe materials, so on and so forth. I am just curious as to who around here would take an interest in a pipe podcast, and more for the matter, what would you like that podcast to focus on? What would you like to hear about? I am just trying to get an idea of what the pipe smokers would like to hear about if there was to be a podcast, and if so, how many people would actually listen to it. Thanks in advance for your input!

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I can answer that it will depend 100% on your style.
I have gone through many vlogs when I looked for reviews on pipes or tobaccos. I must crudely say that they made me ashamed and I hoped that accidental watchers would not associate pipe smokers with... that.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Good grief! Am I so terribly mid-20th century? What's a podcast, and what's a vlog?

(I just recently figured out how to use the little wheel-thingy on my mouse.) :lol:

chispa

Can't Leave
Sep 18, 2011
Podcast is like a TV show but audio only and you download and listen to it on your computer, phone, car, etc...

Vlog is like a video blog.
I think if done well a pipecast would do well. Give it some structure, interview some interesting people, reviews, how-to's etc.. Maybe a feature about people and their journey as pipe smokers.

dhizzy

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 29, 2011
Eric, On a personal note, I'd listen because I read your blog once and found it to be very informative. You went into restoration with little tools and only things available around the house. For me it was very informative. Knowing that you have a decent knowledge of piping in general, I'd say that you would be able to weigh in and folks would listen. I think that this is exactly what the pipe smoking world needs. The piping community is getting younger and that is what youngin's do, they plug in. If it isn't available to the next generation in digital format, they've never heard of it! I generalize of course and this is not the case for all but I believe that you would have a decent following. I know that if I could get it, I would listen. I am very busy most nights at work but there are winter nights where the sidewalks might roll up! I would enjoy listening during slow times. I wish you luck if you try to get this off the ground!
P.S. With all of the negative legislation coming our way, it would be a good way to inform some who may not know and sway others into understanding us better. I think that you should do one show a week on tobacco legislation and how its crap!

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I second dhizzy in that, with the pipe community getting younger it's a great idea to use avenues that many 18-30yr olds frequent, such as podcasts. As stated, I've read one or two of your blogs and I'm sure you'd be able to do very informative and fun to listen to podcasts.
As for material, definitely would have to do some on the beginnings of pipe smoking like methods of bowl packing, regular cleaning, the different types of blends, how to light and smoke the pipe etc. Also, breaking down the leaf and the curing processes. Maybe even split up episodes dedicating one to each style of leaf. Touch a bit as well on the different pipe materials the briar, meerschaum, cob etc. Restoration tips would be great as well. Different cleaning methods such as the alcohol treatment or salt cleaning and getting rid of stem oxidization etc. Expound on the different options of ligthers and the debate of either matches/lighter. Could also do episodes on pipe books.
I apologize for going on so long, but I just finished my final exam for my apprenticeship lastnight and now that I don't have to go to school for it any more my mind is racing with free time hobby ideas this morning lol.

jvandy77

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 1, 2012
I'm in! ....If I can figure out how to use podcasts, haha. No worries. I'm sure someone on the forums would help me out. :D Goodluck, Pipe novelist!

frennchy11

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 28, 2011
I think that it would be cool to have a video for some of the pipe shows. I would probably tune in.

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
I would certainly tune in; just know that Olie Sylvester already runs a great pipe podcast and it would be a shame if the OomPaul podcast went out of business.

Try talking to Olie, he's been doing the podcast for athe few years now and he may be some help to you getting it off the ground.
http://www.oompaul.com
[Edit: Fixed link to work - Kevin]

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
As long as your first podcast has to due with "Exactly How Much Punishment CAN A Dunhill Endure?"
And proceed to "Beat up" the expensive pipes with creative methods... ^_^
(Yes I'd tune in.)

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
For me to listen, it would need to be done on a professional level which would include good intros and outros, and entertaining, informative content with high quality audio production.

barkar

Lifer
Apr 17, 2012
I already used your instructions on how to referb stems (which worked great btw) so sure but is it something you create and we download or do you need an ipod to listen live?

If its a download and listen when you can...sure..... :puffy:

Jul 15, 2011
Thanks for all the responses fellas. I think I have a good idea as to what you guys would be interested in, and once I get my hands on an audio recorder, it will be a matter of taking the time to get some audio editing software and trying to slap something together. Kevin has already said that he would be nice enough to review and critique a podcast when I can get one done, and as soon as I get one under my belt I will be sure to let you guys know.
But I have enjoyed reading your blog: Keepers of the Flame.

I hope you will be adding to those.
I haven't posted anything to that blog in a while because it seemed that the number of comments started to wane considerably. I don't know if the comments were directly related to readership, but this may be a good opportunity to start it up again. Let's swing the thread in a little bit different direction: I'll try and do a podcast, but I will also post more to the Keepers of the Flame if you guys will let me know what you want to hear about. Give me some topics and I'll see what we can work with!

ocpsdan

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Michigan
Why can't there be a crossover between your blog and the podcast? Big perk of podcast is that you can listen to it as you go!

Status
Not open for further replies.