PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, I am itching to just go ahead and make my monthly tobacco purchases, via our site sponsors, but I am wondering...

Which site sponsor do you think is going to be giving us the biggest gift bags?

Should we just go ahead and start complaining now, or wait till later? Ha ha, a joke for forum members who have been around for a while.

Are you buying anything special? Pipes or tobacco?

What do you think will be in the gift bags?

What other questions are looming in the darkest regions of the mind of men? ...concerning IPSD
Personally, I have just waited to make my usual month tobacco budget, but I am also going to The Briary's Event tomorrow, where I will probably pick up a new pipe. I will just have to wait to see if any bulldogs jump out at me.

I am also hoping that a few cigars end up in the gift bags, but please no Paladin and Borkum Riff Cherry. I still have the bags of those.

But, is everyone as excited as me? It's like Christmas Eve.

jackswilling

Lifer
Feb 15, 2015
I have enjoyed every gift bag/box I have ever received.

Never look a gift bag/box in the mouth, just take it and run.

Will be ordering tobacco to get the box and free shipping

My excitement will equal or exceed anyone else's excitment

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
As long as there are big discounts, I don't care for gift bags.

International Pipe Smokers day is tomorrow. Smokingpipes.com and Pipesandcigars.com usually offer gift bags, sometimes free pipes, along with cigars and pouches of tobaccos, tamps, pocketknives, etc... I got an awesome cigar ashtray last year and a very nice reamer and a cigar cutter.

The funny part is that a few years ago some guys got all upset that they got cigar stuff, and took over a thread with it. I don't remember who, but it was funny and sad at the same time.
Lots of pipe shops will be hosting events, and pipe clubs will be holding meetings. It's just a grand old time for social pipe smokers around the world.
Just post what you are doing in your chunk of the Earth. Even if it is just hanging out with a friend and having a bowl full of your tried and true favorite blend.

kanse

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 9, 2016
I actually love cigars, but the gift bag might cause some unexpected complications on the border for me.

One could simply chop up a cigar and smoke it from a pipe, not a problem really.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"International Pipe Smokers day is tomorrow."
So tomorrow I shall smoke a pipe (or five), rather like today, in fact rather like every day. So the significance of IPSD is what exactly?
I clearly have missed something here but really cannot see the point. It's rather like having an IBD (International Breathing Day)...the mind boggles :crazy:
Regards,
Jay.

It is about promoting the pipe smoking hobby/pastime to the public as a positive experience. It is an opportunity to go out in public (where permissible by law) and be a jolly good fellow with your pipe, hang out with your pipe club, visit your pipe shop, or place an order. Or, participate in your favorite forum online.
But, there's always going to be someone who says that we've commercialized a spiritual holiday. Yes yes... but, without commercial retailers, artisans, and businesses committed to bringing us pipe products, we don't have a hobby/pastime. So, appreciating them, and them appreciating us is a big part of it.
:puffy:

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"So, appreciating them, and them appreciating us is a big part of it."
Michael, I recently made my largest ever tobacco purchase at £200+ and queried as to whether I qualified for free P&P. He sad "we never do that". I asked if I were to order £1000+ worth of tobacco would I qualify then and he said no! As for bags of free goodies...
Things are so different this side of the pond.
Regards,
Jay.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Thank you for the heads-up. I'll be sure to look for discounts. There are several blends I'd definitely buy with a discount prompt. I keep thinking to order, but I'll check for a price-break. Pipes I will try to avoid. I'm at the place where I "discover" great pipes on my rack that haven't been smoked in a while. I have this goofy delight, like, oh boy, what a great pipe!

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Jay and other Brits-
While that sort of giveaway may be absent in the UK, my experience just a year ago buying pipes was that I was given a few extras, pipe cleaners, pipe tool (check! It was a Czech tool) perhaps some tobacco (wink wink).
Anyway, all best to smokers both sides of the ocean.

davet

Lifer
May 9, 2015
Estey's Bridge N.B Canada
Things are so different this side of the pond.
You don't have to cross the pond just the border. I've ordered many times, all small orders because of Customs, but thousands of dollars worth and have received Christmas cards. Just the way it is I guess but keep in mind the selection, great service and savings and it's well worth it. :puffy:

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
I plan on buying a pipe at my pipe club meeting tomorrow night. Then hit the ISPD sale for some other items afterwards.

Status
Not open for further replies.