PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I usually (almost always) smoke indoors but occasionally I have a bowl outside. I've noticed that the tobacco tastes different when smoking outside. I think you lose something when the smoke "disappears" in the wind as opposed to when you smoke indoors. I can't actually smell the roomnote myself but it must contribute somehow to the experience.

markw4mms

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Bremen,GA
I haven't smoked inside in over a year, but I do agree, it is better if you're inside and can experience the room note as you smoke.

welshwizard

Lurker
Aug 25, 2011
I do agree but I smoke mostly outdoors, but you cant beat a good book & pipe full on a winters night when it is cold & wet out. It sometimes depends what tobacco your smoking, some are nice indoors and others better outdoors.

Think I will sit on the fence with this and see how it goes, I smoke for enjoyment not habit and do so more in the winter months anyway, not being a fan of the summer heat I rarely light up on a hot summers day.

nathaniel

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 4, 2011
I love smoking outside when it's 60 F or less.. Being in FL that's about 2 months out of the year if you're lucky. Although the last 2 years we've been exceptionally blessed. I hope it cools down soon! :(

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
It takes a bit of getting used to if you always smoked outside since a breeze will keep your pipe going more easily.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
I don't disagree with the points made by those that prefer smoking indoors, but IMHO its had to beat smoking a bowl on a cool fall evening while setting outside by a fire with a good glass of wine... :puffy:

rigmedic1

Lifer
May 29, 2011
I'd have to go with JC on this, but my beverage would be a fine beer. Guiness released a Black Lager, which went really good with the Sterling 1776 Tavern blend I enjoyed with last nights breeze.

hauntedmyst

Lifer
Feb 1, 2010
Chicago
The best of all worlds is a screened in porch in the autumn. I have some Bill Bailey's Balkan Blend going and its the perfect blend for that.

sherlock

Can't Leave
Aug 21, 2011
I'll have to say I enjoy both, although I can't really say I have noticed a change in the way tobacco taste inside or out. As some have already stated smoking out side on a cold night is sublime, but it is nice to be able to sit back, relax, and smoke a pipe. I think I am used to smoking out side because it is a rare moment that I get to smoke indoors. If I could choose I think it would change, like so many other things related to smoking, with the mood I was in.

nmbigfoot02

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 13, 2011
I can't say I've noticed a difference either way, with the exception of aromatic blends. Most of those (in my experience) smell great but have very little flavor. I think they suffer in an outdoor environment simply because the smoke is carried away. Since a lot of our flavor experience is tied to our sense of smell (think of a head cold), they kind of "flatten out" when not smoked indoors. I've not noticed any flavor degradation with other, more flavorful blends when smoking outside.

buckeye

Nov 16, 2010
i smoked my pipe last winter on a couple of 10 degree nights.

talk about a cool smoke.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I smoke both indoors and outdoors as fancy strikes me, for sure smoking indoors really brings the flavour out, but there is just something special about smoking outside with the sun, nature, and a breeze too. Each has it's merits!

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
The closeest I've come to smoking "inside" anything is inside the car with a back window rolled down so my wife doesn't kill me. I'm glad to report no smells lingered in the car as I will only smoke Aro's in there; no sweaty sox.
And now I'm sad because it seems I'm not getting the full amount of flavour from my backy because I only smoke outdoors. This must be fixed...

loneredtree

May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
In the past. I found that lat blends smoked outside had no flavor. I only smoked them indoors after that. Lately, I have been trying Virginia blends outside at the request of SWMBO. They have been wonderful,Much to my surprise. I will try some Lats later as fall approaches. :)

theotherspace

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 15, 2011
Liverpool, UK
Normally I smoke indoors, but love to light a fire on a cold night and smoke outside listening to the noises of the city. Or sit on the grass on a sunny day (when they occur) .. Mostly I smoke indoors due to the weather though

Status
Not open for further replies.