PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohin3

Lifer
Jun 2, 2010
I like both for different reasons, but I prefer to smoke inside away from the wind. Screened in porches or sunrooms are sort of like the best of both worlds.

oldmaus

Can't Leave
Nov 20, 2010
My "inside" smoking is in my truck or garage. I don't notice a big difference except its warmer in the truck during the winter. :puffpipe:

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
My only indoor smoke is when I'm at a B&M. I enjoy the experience either way but do prefer the cooler weather when smoking outside :)

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
I smoke indoors 90% of the time . But when the weather is right and the skeeters will let me ,outside rocks . I can watch the critters and listen to the trees talk .

menuhin

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 21, 2014
Some other pipe smokers constantly telling me that I can be wasting tobacco if I smoke outside, especially during those near freezing winter time.

So I smoke indoor (in kitchen or in study) as much as I can.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Fortunately for me my wife enjoys my pipe smoking. She will occasionally even join me for a bowl. I smoke indoors whenever I want but in the summer months you will find me on the back patio by the pond puffing away. I love to be outdoors as much as possible when the weather is god so that's where I enjoy my pipe when I can. Long story short, I smoke where ever I happen to be when the urge strikes me.

sparrowhawk

Lifer
Jul 24, 2013
I had a picnic table renovated exclusively so I would have a place to sit outdoors and enjoy the night's silence while I smoked my pipe.

briarguys

Might Stick Around
Nov 5, 2013
TN
I do enjoy both, but if I was forced to pick, it's hard to beat a good pipe and book in your man cave.

wilson

Apr 17, 2013
Mostly I smoke outside. The closest to inside I get is when my brother-in-law and I smoke in his garage. Last weekend, the pipe was pretty enjoyable. Then again, it might have been the bourbon. Hard to say.

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I smoke in and out. The best smokes, for me, are outside, a late fall evening with a spectacular sunset reflected in a glassy smooth tarn and a loon or two calling. It's my cathedral guys and I share it only with the dog and whatever other critters in the area.
I smoke with a book and a fire in the fireplace and it's enjoyable but, I'd rather be in the out of doors with no roof overhead.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
As a lad I remember having this conversation with Mr. Peretti of Peretti's of Boston, a noted blender. It was my observation that tobacco seemed to smoke lighter outdoors and he confirmed that was widely experienced. He didn't offer any science in support but did say that "bolder" blends hold up better outdoors. In fact they offered those kinds of blends for just that purpose. Now Mr. Peretti forgot more about tobacco than I'll ever know so I took him at his word and to this day find it to be true. Some blends that I would never smoke indoors smoke well stream side in front of the fire. I love sitting at my desk with a tumbler of "Honey Jack" and a bowl of a good Balkan but there's something special about good tobacco and the great outdoors enjoyed to the sound on the river rushing by and the plaintive cry of the loon.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
About a year ago I was going to convert our sunroom into a smoking room. Unfortunately my wife and I couldn't decide on the removal of the hot tub, and the project was sidelined. We did agree on covering the side porch, and now I can say I'm totally an outdoor smoker! I love sitting and listening to the birds, and the distant neighbor kids playing while I puff away. I really don't notice a difference in flavor.

You will notice that there is no ashtray, we were expecting non-smokers for Easter dinner when this picture was taken. Frankly, I took the easy way out rather than listen to "no smoking" lectures from my daughter.

rcstan

Lifer
Mar 7, 2012
Sunset Beach NC
I prefer smoking outdoors. This past cold season ( can't really call it "winter" here in coastal NC ) I dabbled with smoking indoors at the old apartment next to an open window, good ventilation, Lampe Berger etc and just could not get over the lingering notes ..... even though I was reserving the Lat blends and occasional Burley-based ones for outdoors, there was a somewhat heavy "something" hanging in the air. The same subdued stench I experience on Monday mornings when walking into the restoration workshop at SPC, especially if I had spent most of the weekend on the shore.

escioe

Oct 31, 2013
The best smokes, for me, are outside, a late fall evening with a spectacular sunset reflected in a glassy smooth tarn and a loon or two calling. It's my cathedral guys and I share it only with the dog and whatever other critters in the area.
Yes. I don't smoke indoors because I don't care for any lingering smells, but the best part about smoking outside is that you get to be outside. Even if the weather sucks, it's better to be outside than inside.

classicstyle

Lurker
Feb 9, 2013
Every people have a different opinion but the concern depends how and where you smoking your pipe. Firstly if you have sun room in your house then you can smoke easily with the same feel of indoor. If you are in open air then you cannot enjoy the flavor of the tobacco and you have to light your tobacco as many times and that will kill the flavor. Smoking pipe is all about the tobacco flavor and not the heavy smoke. I tried many times to smoke outdoor but at last it was horrible experience. Smoking pipe is all about relaxing, enjoying brandy etc. This feel can only come when you are indoor.

shutterbugg

Lifer
Nov 18, 2013
Always only outside. No desire to inhale my own 2nd hand smoke or poison my wife and dogs with it. No desire to smell stale smoke in the AM. If it's raining I put my chair inside the garage with the door open. A screened porch would be nice I agree, but no desire to pay to build one just to smoke there.

dsollars

Lurker
Mar 25, 2014
No smoking allowed in house proper. In winter it is in garage, little space heater to keep my legs warm, and wife only demands that I open garage door for a few minutes after I am done. In Kansas we seem to have just a few weeks of delightful spring and fall, so enjoy sitting on back porch and listening to birds in trees when possible. Summer is often hot, so ... I suffer through. Downside is the Kansas wind, so it is hard to avoid scorching of the bowl lips. Missouri cobs often used. Scorching of top of MM bowls no big worry, in fact it adds a little character to humble cobs. Not sure if outside detracts from tobacco taste or experience. Tonight is 70ish, no wind, Durbar in my '64 Dunhill, on porch. Perfection all around.

Status
Not open for further replies.