If You Want to Increase Your Rotation Without Spending Too Much...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Check out Dr. Grabow and Kaywoodie estates.
I only own one of each, but if mine are any indication, they may represent the best bang for the buck out there. Both my Grabow and Kaywoodie smoke extremely well, as well as my pipes costing 5-10x more. Both are from the 1970s, so I would recommend looking for estates at least that old. Even the stinger in my Kaywoodie doesn't present a problem.
And these pipes can be had for easily under $20-40 if you shop carefully.
My Dr. Grabow and my Kaywoodie:
kay-grab.jpg

I finally understand why we have so many fans of these brands!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Found a handsome old Dr. Grabow bulldog with a nickel band at an antique store outside Poughkeepsie

NY recently, for only $18. Finally, I didn't buy it because I have two great bulldogs already, and a surplus

of pipes, but it temped me for sure. I saw a number of other pipes at antique shops in the neighborhood,

but several were unexciting freehands, well below the one I already own, and other bland pipes, easy to

resist.

lincolnsbark

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 11, 2013
I would add kbb yello-bole imperials pre-bruylon of course. I got two of these estates on eBay and they are great pipes.

rockymtnsmoker

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Those are two very handsome pipes Six. Going to start fishing locally for estate lots and will keep an eye out. No sense yet of whether Kaywoodie or Dr Grabow were distributed in Western Canada.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Thanks Rm. They are nice looking pipes. The briar on the Grabow is especially good. Very lightweight and offers a cool, dry smoke. I have to say, I wasn't expecting that!

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I love the look of both of those beauties six!
Thanks Chris. I think I'll start recommending these more often, especially when a person says they only have $40 to spend. Can't beat that kind of deal.

petergunn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 3, 2013
Both are from the 1970s, so I would recommend looking for estates at least that old.
a few years ago I took a flier on a pipe because it appeared to be at least 30 years old was an unsmoked zulu and I got it for $15.00 shipped. I'm not sure what it is (maybe Medico) but it has a rubber fishtail stem a bit of birdseye and some cross grain it's still a part of the rotation and smokes very well.

joeahearn

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 30, 2012
I am smoking a Kaywoodie Supergrain 37C right now. According to "The Collector's Guide to Kaywoodie Pipes," the pipe was made between 1955 and 1968. It's a great smoker and has a nice grain with no fills. I might have paid $20 for it. What's not to like?

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
I need to get a few estate pipes to add to my rotation. I just love getting a brand new pipe in the mail. Was looking to order one today but couldn't settle on one that really spoke to me.
Ended up ordering a hundred bucks in tobacco though! :puffy:

reichenbach

Jan 5, 2012
West Park, NY
I don't want to hijack the thread but... (which means I am going to)
MSO: What stores were these and do you have your eye on any of them? I live in Highland/New Paltz and would at least like the chance to look at these.
Oh, also, nice pipes, six. I'm smoking a Grabow right now and I love them. This one is new but I bet it will be even better in 40 years!

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
There's definitely alot to say about the deals you can get. I found a Kaywoodie Supergrain Canadian at a fleamarket for $10, and it turned out it was made between '35 and '37, which for me makes it cool to have just for the history attatched to it. It's an easy way to get some old briar-this pipe for one smokes very well, as do my two Grabow Starfires.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I don't want to hijack the thread but... (which means I am going to)
lol!
I found a Kaywoodie Supergrain Canadian at a fleamarket for $10, and it turned out it was made between '35 and '37,
Congrats you lucky dog - that's an amazing pickup!

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
A friend gave me a Dr. Grabow Sculptura with the nickel band. It's a damn fine pipe (for a straight stem).

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'm always gently pointing out, to no enthusiasm from Forum members, that there are still many new pipes

at the low-end price-wise that a excellent smokers. Some of the current Dr. Grabow line fit that description,

but there are a lot of others. You have to shop enough to know what's what, but they're out there. Doesn't

mean people shouldn't prefer finer, more collectible pipes, but you can get a lot for not much bread, new

or used.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
reichenbach, sorry I missed your question the last time through this thread. No, I am not interested in

these pipes because I live in the Southeast and had to make up my mind while in New York. I was in

Milbrook, and I believe the shop with the Dr. Grabow with the nickle band was called Milbrook Antiques,

and the other shop with about six or eight pipes was across the street. I don't remember the name, but

it's a small main street and you'll find it. Please don't tell me if you find a Dunhill for $20. That's what

I was looking for, but didn't find. Happy hunting!

javajunkie

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 26, 2013
Doesn't

mean people shouldn't prefer finer, more collectible pipes, but you can get a lot for not much bread, new

or used.
True that! I WANT high end artisan pipes. I also want a Lambo. Life can be cruel sometimes. In the interim, you can learn good technique and get many many hours of pleasure out of some of these guys. As of right now, i have no pipe i paid over a hundred for, and three which cost me over fifty, out of two and a half dozen. As I learn better smoking form, most are really good to me, including a trio of Dr. G's.

Status
Not open for further replies.