If You Could Tell Your Tobacconist Which Pipe Tobaccos to Stock...

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
As one of the few pipers at my local tobacco shop, the manager asked me this morning that in light of McClelland's closing, he needs to restructure his inventory, so he's looking for recommendations. While I can certainly tell him my favorites, I'm want to give him the best feedback possible, so I'd like your help.
Here's what I'd like from you, answered from the perspective of a retailer who wants to actually sell tobacco. I'd want to stock crowd favorites and maybe a few that would introduce smokers to new styles or brands. Please avoid extremely hard to find blends and those which wouldn't be available to an independent tobacconist, like blends exclusive to one of the online retailers, Boswell's, and so forth. Of course, I'll encourage him to TRY to stock the impossible to find ones, but right now, he needs to fill shelf and jar space.
Bulk

- 2 aromatics, leaving out those that they would already likely stock, like Lane 1Q, BCA, etc.

- 1 codger blend

- 2 from the worlds of Virginia, English, Balkan, VaPer, and so forth
Tins

- 2 aromatics

- 3 non-aromatics
As a bit of background, the store presently stocks in tins or bags Esoterica Tobacciana, a few overpriced tins of Rattray's Marlin Flake and Hal o' the Wynd, and grossly overpriced 4th Generation, plus some odds and ends. As for bulk, it's an odd situation. They've bagged 4 oz quantities of several Stokkebye and Dunhill non-aromatics -- all ribbon cuts. In jars, it's mostly McClelland aromatics and Dunhill Early Morning Pipe.
Thanks!
Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'd say Samuel Gawith but the favorites there are difficult to keep in stock. I would say GL Pease would be his best bet, then possibly Seattle Pipe Club and Hearth & Home. I'm not a H&H fan in the least but they do seem to have a variety and also offer some bulk blends. Perhaps some Cornell & Diehl. I'm not a fan of them either, I smoke none of their blends. But I'm thinking through the eyes of a local retailer, not what I want.

Jan 8, 2013
I think it would be a good idea for a retailer to carry an assortment of bulk blending tobaccos... two or three virginias, two or three burleys, a few orientals, latakia, perique, etc., so customers can buy a few ounces of each and mix their own. Worth mentioning.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
It's a shrinking industry. Whatever he does, he needs to provide a value that the websites don't. That could be camaraderie, an refuge or escape from the wife (or husband), work, product knowlege, sampling opportunities? You aren't going to beat the websites on price, so you have to fill another.
I'd be looking at things like a new pipe a year program that you could buy into for 10$ a month. Trade in the old one every year and the shop could re-ferb and sell. Or maybe a free referbishing service, a quick buff and clean while they wait. Have to find a way to keep people coming in. Many industries are fighting these same battles.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
From a marketing point of view, I might consult smokingpipes.com best sellers list and reviews far and wide (trying to use the best sources). The Forums is a specialized audience. For example, far and away the largest percent of pipe tobacco sales are aromatics, but that's not as true of Forums members. So to stay in business, the shop owner or online retailer has to appeal to the wider customer base. Pouch and tub tobaccos need to be included. I'd sure have a back-up of GLP, C&D, McClelland as available, Dunhill as available, Mac Baren, Seattle Pipe Club, Hearth and Home, and similar premium blends. But you must be in rapport with your customers. The product has to move. Just because you know certain brands are better doesn't mean that's what the customer wants. You can recommend and even push them, but if people buy something, re-stock that. My local indy shop sells Granger by the ounce out of a tub, which is a nifty way of letting people sample this century-old blend.

midwestpipesmoker70

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2011
IL
I think Stokkeby blends should be in stock in bulk, especially the three flakes. They are a good intro tobacco. After that just whatever tins they can easily get. I'd vote on SPC blends, Dunhill, C&D and Pease.

With Dunhills and McC’s frittering out, Skip asked me the same thing at The Briary. He already has a bunch of Dan’s, Rattrays, and anything STG puts out. I knew that I couldn’t mention C&D or GLP with him spitting on the floor. So, I told him that D&R had some rather cheap tins, dry tobacco, and packed tight, for value. But, he might have to reteach a lot of curious codgers about tobacco dryness. He asked me to suggest some D&R blends, so I suggest the Racoon blends, 3Sails, and a handful of others I like. They also sent him a some tins I have never seen anywhere else, maybe even exclusive for him, like a straight Red Virginia that made me so happy as crap to have something to replace 5100 with. And, after looking all over online, I’m pretty sure Skip is the only one carrying it. I’m putting my order in for several dozen. It’s not the same as a McC, but more of a D&R take on it.

With B&M price tags of $7-10 a tin, they seem to be moving fast too.

Status
Not open for further replies.