PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
I've got a hypothetical question and I'd be interested in hearing everyone's opinion on it. If you could own any pipe (that is for sale, not a historical pipe from a museum :p), and could receive it for free, what pipe would you choose and why? (You must only smoke the pipe yourself and you cannot sell it, this is to prevent you from picking the most expensive pipe you can find and selling it on eBay xD). Links and or photos plus your reasoning would be nice. I am still quite new to pipe smoking (but am eager to learn more) so I don't really have a specific pipe in mind myself, but I think mine would be a nice, good quality morta pipe. They tend to be expensive and I would love to have one for free xD Looking forward to seeing everyone's choices. Rob :D

monty55

Lifer
Apr 16, 2014
Bryan, Texas
Kanstantin Shekita Lattice Tomato. One solid piece of briar.. no cuts, and the rustication even extends underneath the top lattice and above the bottom lattice. $1800.00 Why? Because they are works of art that nobody else can recreate. They are specific, unusual, and fascinating.
From SP.com

faust

Might Stick Around
May 25, 2014
Woah.. Those are some funky looking pipes xD By the speed of the responses I'm guessing you guys have already put some thought into this :P

derrickyoung

Might Stick Around
Apr 11, 2013
Being a little more traditional in taste this pipe has been my dream pipe and the subject of my desktop background for sometime now
Walt-Cannoy-Suede-Blast-Billiard-Pipe_1349_zpsc5f26ecc.jpg

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Michael Parks - Custom
These speak to me greatly: http://www.parkspipes.com/pipe-gallery/2013/4/30/roots-leaves
Crazy, wonderful, artistry here. Blows my mind.
-- Pat

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
I'm guessing you guys have already put some thought into this
Look, I'm not saying that I make sacrifices in the dead of night, over tribal drum beats while chanting Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn, in hopes the great old one will raise the lost city of R'lyeh from the sea and rain madness on all mortals so that he may bestow Mr. Talbert's Cthulhu pipe upon me but... I totally do.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Maybe a spare no expense commission with someone whose pipes I already enjoy, like Mogen Johansen of Johs. Some of zack's pipes

are pretty spectacular. Or one of Tinsky's. My own array of pipes, while not penultimate individually seem extravagant to me. A Dunhill

panel or zulu might fill the bill and still be something I'd smoke.

dread

Lifer
Jun 19, 2013
Rad Davis blasted Billiard or Dublin. I love his blasts and classic pipes. Not super expensive like some other makers' pipes, but more than I can spare at this point. I suppose if I had any self control whatsoever and saved up . . .
:rofl:

settersbrace

Lifer
Mar 20, 2014
Maybe I'm the oddball here but if I had to pick just one and do it now, I'd love to smoke a Castello, something craggy.

skapunk1

Can't Leave
Feb 20, 2013
If I could own any pipe, it'd be one that smokes like a dream everytime, needed no resting with an autoclean feature and clenched perfectly with no weight, and a nice big bowl.
Someone should get on that idea....chop chop.... LOL

lochinvar

Lifer
Oct 22, 2013
I'm pretty pedestrian. It would be one of four; an unsmoked, heavy on the birdseye GDB 9438, 9242 or a Comoy 499 or 498. Basically a classic chunky Rhodesian, that I could break in from the beginning to be a killer Oriental smoker.

curl

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 29, 2014
i like the traditional shapes

not all of them, but i don't see myself puffing away on some ornate carving

i'll be in the market at some point for a meerschaum, but it will likely just be smooth or lattice
i just bought a castello bent billiard

it's a goddam work of art

i've come back down to earth pricewise in pipe buying

but if i could, i'd get a castello canadian or liverpool

Dec 24, 2012
I actually have no idea how to answer this question. I am fortunate in that I can't think of a pipe that I don't own that I would like to. If forced to decide, maybe the highest grade of S Bang.

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
My dream pipe would be for me to time travel to 1925 London and commission a huge ODA Dunhill shell from Alfred himself, and have them custom make a blend to fill it with! (Full of Syrian Latakia and Cuban tobaccos of course)

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
This isn't the answer you want:
But it would be an Ascorti bent billiard in Business finish that I smoked throughout the 1980s. I ended up giving it to a friend who was just starting to smoke a pipe. Then he moved away. And I moved away. We both got married. And whenever I've asked him about the pipe, I've gotten only the vaguest, noncommittal replies. I've even offered to buy it back from him, but he's silent.
My suspicion is that it either got lost during one of his moves or his wife made him get rid of it. :)
Of course, I don't hold that against him. It was his pipe. But I do often think about it and wish it were back in my collection.
Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.