I May Or May Not Have Smoked A Cricket - Perhaps?!

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
It was July 4, and after a long day of unpacking and organizing the new place, BBQ with friends, my daughter and I went to take in the local fireworks. We found a grassy knoll a few blocks from the event and settled in for the show. Although it had been hot earlier in the day; there was a slight breeze and it was fairly pleasant out.
I determined that I should enjoy my pipe. What is more patriotic than sipping on a Bambino filled with OGS and watching things explode in the sky? The show lasted 35 minutes and so regrettably I had to dump the last of the bowl.
After I had stirred and dumped the bowl, and lightly scraped the sides of the bowl with my knife, I looked down to see how much tobacco I was leaving behind. And that was when I saw it.
Under the glow of my daughter's iphone I saw a small black ash covered cricket intertwined with the clump. Did I have a cricket in my pipe. Would I not have tasted something strange? Did I happen to dump the bowl exactly where a cricket was lounging no doubt watching the fireworks? Is it possible that the cricket, after smelling the OGS, decided to rush over and roll around in it?
I don't know the answer. I am not sure that I want to know the answer. Occum's Razor would not be in my favor, I am afraid!
Has this, or something similar, happened to anyone here?

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Jiminy Cricket thought you were burning Pinocchio's finger, and rushed in to help.
RIP Jiminy :rofl:

bigpond

Lifer
Oct 14, 2014
I'm pretty sure you are now officially a hipster. Well, you have at least passed the entry exam.

ericthered

Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I would propose that Occam's Razor would support your second theory, that of dumping your bowl on his unfortunate head. How would the cricket have gained entry to your pipe in the first place? Did you have it laying next to you prior to loading the tobacco or was it stored somewhere secure (pocket/pipe pouch, etc.)? If he was in the pinch of tobacco you loaded into the pipe I have to believe that you would've felt him squirming between your fingers. If he was in the bowl for the duration of the patriotic display, I have to believe that the roasted cricket juices would've affected the smoking properties in a noticeable way.
If I had to choose a theory based on what I like the most, it would be the third. Mr. Cricket saw this bonanza of tobacco fall from the sky and reveled in it the only way he knew how. You gave him the means to finally hold his own against his grasshopper cousins in the tobacco juice spitting contest at the next family reunion.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Was this cricket living or dead? If he'd been in the pipe with the ember, he'd be gone. Although I can't quite visualize how a cricket would replace the tobacco, take up that much room, and go unnoticed in terms of staying lit and affecting flavor. If the cricket was alive, it couldn't have been in the pipe. Maybe the cricket carcass was already on the ground and you dumped the dottle on it. Maybe the cricket got fried by the fireworks and descended from the sky. RIP.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I hope the cricket had an approved warning label mentioning its toxic status in California. A little t-shirt with six arm and leg holes.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
The cricket was still moving; but not much. I assume that I dumped the pipe on him and he got a little scorched in the process. I imagine that roast cricket would either have a nutty flavor or taste like burning hair. I didn't perceive either of those.

Status
Not open for further replies.