I Am So Pissed At Myself Right Now I Could Die.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Was so excited about my Nording Canadian that just came in the mail. I started to clean it and was at the polished stage. I guess I got too ruff with it and I snapped the shank right off I haven't even smoked it yet I want to kick myself so hard right now. I'm such an idiot. Soooo sad. :cry:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hmmm. I'd confer with the seller. Were you really handling it in a way that would snap the shank?

Pipes are somewhat delicate, but I have polished a lot, dropped pipes a few times, removed stems

often, and so on, and I've never broken a shank. Canadians are especially vulnerable because of their

long shank, and it seems as if, sometimes there could be a weakness in the briar that would cause it

to break without any exaggerated pressure. I think you should phone the seller and describe the

situation. Unless you are convinced you really put a heavy hand to it, I would explore the possibility

of a replacement, a refund, or perhaps at least going halves on the repairs. On the other hand, if you

just don't know your own strength and probably did break it, I guess I'd just swallow the expense.

It sounds unlikely to me.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Very sorry to hear that smokey. Funny thing, I rec'd my Peterson estate today and was polishing it tonight as well, and kept fearing I might do just that as it needed a lot of polishing.
A canadian's long stem is a challenge for sure and if anything, you remind us all to be extra careful. Good luck getting it resolved.

Aug 1, 2012
The repair, with a stainless steel tube, runs $20 USD from Walker Pipe Repair and a bit less from Norwood's. Sorry to hear you had that happen. Haven't had a shank snap yet but I did lose a chunk out of one because of an over-tight stem...I was pretty pissed at myself over that one.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
I didn't go any harder then I usually do I think I just got it in a weird position cause I was polishing kinda carelessly and it just got caught and snapped. I got it off the bay so I doubt I'll get any help from there. I guess it's time to learn how to band a pipe.

allan

Lifer
Dec 5, 2012
Bronx, NY
Smokey
Anyone who has worked on a polishing wheel knows what it is like to damage a piece. I feel for you and sympathize.
It happens. You just got to move on
Send it Walker or another pipe repair facility
They'll take care of it for you

Jan 8, 2013
Sorry to hear about your pipe. True, it sucks and I'd probably be pretty pissed and upset at myself if I did the same to one of my pipes, but don't beat yourself up too much over it. I hope you're able to get it fixed.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Yep I'm missing a stem for a savinelli. It is in the shop somewhere, the polishing wheel took it out of my hand and sent it flying. Looked everywhere.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
You've got let this one go, Andrew, and put it under the "shit happens" category. Lesson learned. Glad you weren't hurt. The pipe can be repaired. Drive on.
We've got several great people sponsoring this board who fix cock-ups like yours.
Man, I love Nording's and I love Canadians. If you don't want to mess with it then I'll be your huckleberry and we'll settle up afterwards. I've got four banded burners in my collection and I respect and smoke them all. A Nording Canadian would be a welcome addition.
Currently breaking in a lovely little Trypis billiard obtained from you'm - that's whom.
Cheers, pal.
Fnord

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Well the pipe cost me 60$ but it was gorgeous so I wanna fix t and smoke it. And the wood is so light on it it was a perfect little guy. So if ronni is under 40$ I'll take t

It to him it you at he's worth it.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
As Promised Images of My Demise :cry:
Before

1009899_10151884392207889_1196490327_n.jpg

1174694_10151884392242889_1430598561_n.jpg

1185644_10151884392427889_479519521_n.jpg

After

1235107_10151898860247889_1503024199_n.jpg

1234665_10151898860302889_1893314752_n.jpg

4noggins

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 11, 2013
I also suggest you give Ronnie a call at NightOwl Pipe Works. I have sent many customers to him and all have been very happy with his work.
Rich

4noggins.com

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Andrew, pal, that stinks! So sorry to hear about this.
If it makes you feel any better, I was working on a bowl from one of my Trypis pipes currently in the resto line and had the wheel yank it totally out of my hands and pitch it at the wall at speed. Fortunately the wall isn't sheathed, just filled with insulation and topped with vapour barrier, it worked like a backstop... now to sand out the scratch from the concrete floor where it landed. *grumble*
Allan's spot-on here. It happens to all of us bro. It's also what keeps us humble; if only for a day or so. 8)
Look forward to commiserating with you over a bowl or four tomorrow.
-- Pat

roadqueen

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 9, 2013
Ouch! So sorry for your misfortune. :cry: If you get if fixed, please post pictures of the repairs.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Yes I will be getting it fixed just waiting from a reply from either Ronni at Night owl of Dave at Walker briar works. Ill see what they have to say about it and then ill choose one to do it. If for whatever reason Its too expensive i may try it myself. I found a supplier for Stainless Steel tubes small enough just need to see what glue would work best. When i piece the two together the crack is invisible so i might just try it out for myself.
60$ for the pipe + 40$ to repair that 100$ not including the shipping to send it out i dont know if it will be worth it to be honest.
The Tubes Come 12" @ 8$ each and ill find the right epoxy to use. Cheaper that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.