I Am So Pissed At Myself Right Now I Could Die.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
If it makes you feel any better,
Thanks but no ones misfortune with there pipe will make me feel better i don't wish this on my worst enemy lol.
please learn from my mistake at least that way some good can come of this.
I will see you at the meet just need to see if i can get a ride all depends whether or not my brother in law is coming.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
Smoky the best glue for Stainless is JB weld, you can get it at an parts house, the only draw back is it doesn"t set right away , you will need a jig to hold it while it cures, once cured it is Unbreakable at that joint. I once fixed an old farmers pride and joy an 8N tractor that had a busted cylinder, Groved it out and applied, let it cure, he"s still running it.PS if you use stainless, rough it up with a file so epoxy can have something to grab on, stainless is slick.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
JB weld really? that stuff is a pain to work with from what i understand this is what needs to be done.
Re-drill the draft hole to a slightly larger diameter both pieces.
Glue the Tube into the bowl piece and lit sit over night.
Apply glue to the tube protruding from the bowl and apply glue to the crack.
Insert the two pieces together fit snug and allow 36 hrs to dry.
Smoke your repaired pipe. :puffy:

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Man that sucks. It's a beautiful pipe. It will still smoke great once it's repaired though.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Roth there is no doubt that you are 100% right this is why i am waiting to here back from Ronnie or Dave before i make my decision.
I don't know how to say this without sounding ignorant and i am not trying to down play at all wait Ronnie and Dave do its no doubt they are skilled and knowledgeable. But with proper planing and patience this doesn't seem like that difficult a job. All i really need to do is get my materials straight and do a little research.
Like what tube, Glue and any other material i should use.
I was never the type to send things out for repair unless i absolutely need to its just coded in my blood to try and fix things my self. worst case if i mess up them ill send it in and see what they can do or i just make it a nose warmer lol.
But will see maybe they will convince me otherwise. I realize i sound like an idiot to most of you right now like how does this guy expect to do this delicate job with his gorilla hands when it was his gorilla hands that broke it in the first place lol. Simply i sit back relax, take a deep breath plan it out and take my time and write it out step by step until i am comfortable enough to tackle the task.
Whatever i end up doing all i know is i will be smoking this pipe in the future.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Hey, I like the idea of turning it into a billiard. With the right stem, it could look great.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Do you think Contact Cement would work well? i know it is strong as hell i can see it working for the tube when inserting into the pipe because it also acts as a filler. But i dont think it would work on the crack itself i might need something more liquid and clear for that.

Dec 24, 2012
Yeesh, this is why I don't try anything beyond using a soft shine cloth on my pipes. I am a complete oaf and would mangle the pipe for sure, lol. Hope you can fix it smokey.

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
If you used a cloth by hand on the pipe, I'm at a loss to figure out how any pipe could be that delicate without having a flaw to begin with. If a pipe broke in my hands during a polish right away, I'd file a claim that the pipe was not structurally sound. That was sure a beauty!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
You'll salvage this pipe one way or the other and get years out of it, smoking and telling its story.

As my great grandfather used to say, almost anything looks better after a good meal. If you need

a good smoking Canadian, new, for a moderate price, Iwan Ries Exclusives include a really good

house pipe Canadian made by Benton (USA) using Algerian briar (I think it is). It's around $52 and

will last into your old age, or longer.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Ok so Ronni does this for 50$ Including shipping back to me not to him.
Mike at walker briar repairs does it between 20-30 one way shipping
So I asked what they do and both use metal tubes and epoxy and both promise a seamless repair from the pictures I sent them.
I guess I'm going with Mike.

cavendish

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 22, 2013
Wow man. That sucks huge balls. So sorry to see that happen to such a nice piece. I felt the same way when I drilled through the bottom of one of my pipes when I was opening the draught hole.

dennisfbird

Lurker
Aug 25, 2013
Remember, the only people that don't have accidents are those that don't do anything. You have now had a learning experience.

andrew

Lifer
Feb 13, 2013
Personally I'd just see if it goes back together nicely and use superglue. I cracked the shank on a choquim pipe I had and looked up using superglue and found on this site others had tried it, and it's barely noticeable, unless you're really looking for the crack and then it's just a fine line. From the break it looks like it would fit back together, unless some wood broke off. Stick it together, if it fits nicely, just dab some superglue and you've got an easy fix that works.

Status
Not open for further replies.