PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
I was wondering how often I can smoke my briar pipe? I have read that you are supposed to wait something like 48 hours between smokes. Thanks for any advice!
Cheers,

Jared

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Welcome to Forums, 1ad'. Not exactly, I don't think. You can smoke a briar all day, if that is your inclination. One bowl, a few bowls, or six or eight -- whatever is your habit. But once it has been smoked on a particular day, then it is wise to give it two or three days rest. You want it to dry out completely. As you may detect from reading Forums, many of us have quite a few pipes, or in some cases vast numbers, some of which we may not remember owning. I'm not quite that bad, but I do get a thrill out of meeting an old friend I haven't seen in quite a while, a pipe I mean. For us, there's not much point in doubling up, so we shift to a different pipe for every bowl, to keep 'em in circulation and get them all smoked. But no, you don't have to change pipes for every bowl. On the other hand, some prefer to smoke especially persistent flavors of blends, notably Lakeland English blends, in designated pipes, so you'd shift pipes to smoke those particular blends. It is only a rare few blends that really give that problem to most pipe smokers. A few people with very sensitive tastes may do that with Latakia blends, but not many pipe smokers do that. Happy smoking and again, welcome.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Reason I ask is that I only have one higher quality (from what I have read) Dunhill's Harcourt freehand pipe. I plan on getting another next month but I wanted to ask about this so as to not damage my only pipe.
Cheers,

Jared

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
1ad', in your situation, Forums members often advise people to get a few Missouri Meerschaum corncob pipes to complete the rotation so you can let your pipes rest while you make other purchases of briars over time. I think the MM website offers a bag of seconds, imperfect but smokeable, for a very reasonable price. Or you may want to buy slightly up-market MM cobs like their freehand and others. In any case, these allow you to smoke now and then while your good briar or briars are drying, until you have enough for a rotation. Quality cobs are good smokers and worth having in their own right. Just get the MM's, not something cheap that will promptly burn up. Old Dominion also makes nice cobs with reed stems, real historical pieces that smoke well too. Either brand will serve the purpose.

scrooge

Lifer
Apr 24, 2015
Buy a couple cobs to fill in the gaps for rotation. MMcobs can't go wrong with a cob.

hawke

Lifer
Feb 1, 2014
Augusta, Ga
I don't find much difference in smoking one back to back verses allowing them to rest. My head reasoning says a pipe will dry out and provide a dryer smoke which in turn might create less moisture(tongue bite) if the tobacco blend is on the moist side. I do believe that. One thing is a warm pipe is not a good smoker to me.
I wonder if its not kin to how "a freshly washed car seems to drive better". Like MSO I have so many pipes I always have a "rested" one to smoke. I am willing to bet big money that you too will have quite a few pipes when 2017 rolls in. LOL
Have you seen this yet?

PAD - Pipe Acquisition Disorder

TAD - Tobacco Acquisition Disorder

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I've known a couple of guys that smoked one pipe day and day out for years. They were meticulous about keeping them clean though. A thorough cleaning either in the morning or evening after it cools. Still, my experience is, with two pipes, smoke one a day letting that pipe rest the next day is probably wise. If I select a brier for the day, I smoke five to seven bowls on average and then it's racked until its turn comes up, ten or twelve days or more. All pipes smoked during the week get a full cleaning on Sunday. Otherwise, after each smoke a quick couple of pokes with a couple of cleaners before reloading and lighting up.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
From Russ Ouellette's FAQ page(s)
Rotating Your Pipes
To ensure the life of your pipes, you shouldn't constantly smoke the same pipe over and over, as moisture is absorbed by the pipe and can cause heat to build up and possibly result in a burn-out. There's a general rule of thumb regarding resting your pipe(s): for every bowl of tobacco you smoke in a given pipe in a day, you should let the pipe rest for that many days. For example, if you smoke two bowls in a particular pipe one day, don't smoke it again for two days. When resting the pipe, store it upright in a rack. You should run a pipe cleaner through the stem and shank before storing. Some people prefer to leave the pipe cleaner in the pipe while resting, but that's a matter of personal preference.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Yes, a couple of corncob pipes will fit you up until you have enough briars to make a nice rotation. I agree with hawke and warren, and your own experience will be your guide. I smoke tobacco that's not moist, so my pipe is dry when I get to the bottom or near there.
Enjoy!
Do you have a retail pipe store you can get to without too much trouble?

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Thanks for all of your suggestions! I really only plan on smoking during the weekend for now. Like I mentioned, I plan on getting another next month (maybe even two if I can get away with it with the wife :)). I'll just take er' easy on smoking till I can get a couple more briars. Unfortunately, I don't have a pipe store within a good 2+ hours from me. Online is pretty much my only resource unless I make it a good day trip. Here are two that I have my eye on for next month.
Bari Wiking SUPER GIANT Paneled Freehand Estate Pipe

s_l1600_1.jpg

Vauen Aueland Doran Churchwarden Pipe

s_l1600.jpg

loneredtree

Part of the Furniture Now
May 27, 2011
Sierra Foothills
Welcome to he Forum Jared. The key for you is how often you smoke and how many bowls. For weekends only, one pipe for each day sounds about right. Then they will rest for 6 days. How many bowls do you think will be consumed each day? Have fun.
:puffy:

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Well, today I went through 3 bowls. I probably won't smoke tomorrow but I imagine Fridays and Saturdays will be my usual smoking days with probably 2-3 bowls each day. Of course that could all change! :puffy: :D
Cheers,

Jared

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
They're your pipes, so you smoke them as often as you like. Some people will rest them a whole week, and others will smoke them everyday and anything in between. Its whatever your preference is. When I only had a couple of pipes; if I wanted to smoke a pipe on back to back days I would. If the pipe is well constructed and made of good quality briar then it should with stand daily use. With that said it doesn't hurt to rest the pipe for at least a day either. Again its your preference, so do as you like.

drumbumb83

Might Stick Around
Nov 23, 2015
My briar pipe will rest for as little as eight hours and as much as a few days. It may just be me but I think it tastes better with more rest. Personally haven't felt the need to get any cobs. I'd rather put the money that would be used for a cob away for a better briar.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
My briar pipe will rest for as little as eight hours and as much as a few days. It may just be me but I think it tastes better with more rest. Personally haven't felt the need to get any cobs. I'd rather put the money that would be used for a cob away for a better briar.
My feelings exactly. Thanks again everyone for your input! Have a great rest of the weekend and happy smoking :puffy:
Cheers,

Jared

Apr 26, 2012
Washington State
@Ryan & @1adsarge - you do realize corn cob pipes cost as little as $5 at many tobacconists, drug stores etc. I don't think a corn cob or two is really going to take away from the purchase of another nice briar pipe. Plus, if you've never smoked a corn cob pipe you might be missing out on one of the best smoking pipes money can buy. I have 9 corn cob pipes and they are all great smoking pipes. Not only do cobs help build up your rotation they're great smoking pipes. Definitely give them a try... you'll be glad you did.

ray47

Lifer
Jul 10, 2015
Dalzell, South Carolina
For as little as you smoke, I wouldn't be concerned. Just run a pipe cleaner thru the stem and shank after each smoke. Take a rolled up paper towel and swab out the bowl. Wait an hour and load up. Your over thinking this thing too much.

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
The faster you smoke a bowl, the hotter it burns and the more moisture you'll generate that tends to collect at the bottom.

If you smoke at a reasonably moderate pace and smoke a dry ish tobacco...you can smoke you pipe repeatedly w/o noticeable adverse effect.

Most non aro burley blends and many of the Latakia blends typically burn with less moisture, but it's pack and pace that is the biggest contributor to unwanted moisture (tongue burn, sour pipe, poor draw)

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
1ad', what a great pipe, lots of design to it. I happen to have a great Bari pipe, given to me new as a gift by my late wife's aunt years ago, and still in perfect shape. I highly recommend them as estate pipes -- they are no longer made, if I have that correctly. However, whether you buy a corncob pipe or three to tide you over, I would recommend you buy at least one or two, now or later. It really is a commendable dimension of pipe smoking. Some people think they are too folksy, but I'd gladly smoke one in a tux, as a counterpoint, a grand old tradition and a true piece of Americana. They're light weight, burn cool mostly, and usually age nicely. Don't let their low price put you off. It is one of the best smokes you'll enjoy.

Status
Not open for further replies.