How Much Would You Pay For Your Dream Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

New Cigars

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
Saw a post were everyone posted their "white whale" dream pipe, How much would you be willing to pay for it? Me I would pay upwards to $1000 for my dream pipe. I would have to work 4 days of overtime but would be well worth it.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
I just purchased my dream pipe. It arrives next week. For The Pipe, I imagine under the right circumstances around a grand is where I hit the breaks.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
but my palate isn't sophisticated enough to justify purchasing a really high-end pipe.
A higher priced pipe is not for those with a more sophisticated palate, just deeper pockets.
It's like those people that show up to a trailhead with $5000 Mt. Bikes but are quickly

dropped from the pack by more experienced riders on 10 year old, $800 bikes.
I've said it before and I'll say it again ... 75% skill, 25% equipment (at most)

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
When it comes to pipes, more expensive doesn't mean better smoke. Just more artistic expression. The thread has nothing to do with if it works just how much you would spend for that one pipe that is beyond beautiful.

tarheel1

Oct 16, 2014
I think 500 to 1k for my white whale pipe if new and perfect.Dunhill amber root 5108.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Have paid $600 for my newest Weaver commission, but would pay up to $1000 if the pipe really piqued my interest. Have my eye on one right now just under a grand, but would never buy a Dunhill. Too cookie cutter for me.

mcitinner1

Lifer
Apr 5, 2014
Missouri
I don't and won't ever have the funds for an artisan pipe. Even if I won a big lottery, I couldn't spend over $200 for a pipe. To date my most expensive pipe was $105. I'd rather use my funds on tobacco, and I have. 8)

daimyo

Lifer
May 15, 2014
My white whale pipe was likely around 2k originally and is probably one of the more famous pieces made by the carver. I would pay above that if it were still unsmoked. I don't think I would pay anywhere near that for any other pipe though, unless he made another that appealed to me as much.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
2013 was the year that I acquired several "dream" pipes and vowed to call collecting quits for the time being (fat chance). I was fortunate that I was able to get them for very favorable prices as these generally go for well over a grand each and I paid on average about 1/2 that.
Then I went ahead and bought the unsmoked 1907 Barling cased companion set...
There are a couple of white whales out there, but I'm content with what I have. I'm bidding low and if something falls into my hands for a bargain price, great, otherwise I really don't care. Still, if one of those whales showed up in EXCEPTIONAL condition, I might be persuaded to go a couple of grand.
Damned glad I bought what I did when I did, because the prices have really soared in the last year or so on the pipes that interest me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Several of my most expensive pipes were given to me. The most expensive I have bought were deep discount sales,

and the result of having unexpected money come in outside my regular budget. If I made some sort of windfall sale

or won a prize, I might go a few hundred before I wanted to spend the rest on a trip or some other special purchase.

ravkesef

Lifer
Aug 10, 2010
Cheshire, CT
I guess it depends I've got 7 Dunhills, a few really nice Charatans (Lane era,) 2 Paolo Beckers that I picked up at his atelier in Rome, a Scott Thiele, and a few others in that range, and they're all fine smokers. And then I've got some Stanwells, Savinellis, 1970s vintage GBDs, and a handful of basket pipes the smoke equally well. And it makes perfect sense. Can you imagine the smoker picking up a pipe and saying "well, this pipe always gives me a crappy smoke, so I think I'll smoke it now?" Of course our pipes must deliver the goods, or else we'd get rid of them. It's just like Fred Hanna wrote – – once you've got the cake built up, you can't tell the difference between a $50 pipe and one costing many multiples more.

vfefrenzy

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 4, 2014
I'd pay $10, since the dream is to get a great pipe for very little money. I have no clue what my dream pipe would even be at this point. I would be more interested in a pipe with history than a name brand. Something owned by someone interesting perhaps.

May 31, 2012
I'd prefer to never acquire my dream pipe.
Some dreams are better left dreaming.
Reality often sux.
:lol: :x

:x :lol:

:lol: :x

:x :lol:
btw

...anybody have a Loewe All Briar (#150. long thin stem)?

I'll give ya $275 for it!

:)

phil67

Lifer
Dec 14, 2013
I have no idea what a 'dream' pipe is, much less ever having seen one. But I'll never spend more, and never have spent more than $300.00 for a pipe.

easterntraveler

Dec 29, 2012
No offense but I think that is a horrible way to thknk. Dreams should be obtainable, however somtimes you might have to sacrifice or actually work for it. Anyway if you have your dream pipe do you smoke out of it?

May 31, 2012
The perceptual concepts of the mind often do not live up to concrete reality.
What if I finally found what I considered to be my ultimate dream pipe,

forked over the big bucks,

and discovered it to be a poor smoker?
Dreams easily turn into nightmares,

just sayin'.
I have many romantic notions,

but a dream pipe is not one of them.

dottiewarden

Lifer
Mar 25, 2014
Toronto
A higher priced pipe is not for those with a more sophisticated palate, just deeper pockets.
and
The most expensive I have bought were deep discount sales
So far my most expensive pipe has been a Chacom Volute 1 which retails around $300 - $350, I picked it up for just under $200. I considered the purchase out of my range but I sure don't regret it.
I suppose no one pipe would do it for me as such - but I'd have to be some rich to spend $500 on a pipe. I'll stick to the $75 - $150 price range and be happy with the Savs, Pates, Chacoms etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.