How Much Would You Pay For Your Dream Pipe?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarheel1

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 16, 2014
So far my most expensive pipe has been a Chacom Volute 1 which retails around $300 - $350, I picked it up for just under $200. I considered the purchase out of my range but I sure don't regret it.
I had a Volute #3 before I discovered the English pipes back in 2005.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
All this esoteric talk about what defines a "dream" pipe is kinda weird. I assume the question just meant what's your financial ceiling, the cut off where you'd let a pipe you really wanted slip away. The pipe I commissioned through Parks is likely mine. I'm creating my dream pipe through him, making requests to create my fantasy. I've told him I'd begin to have serious reservations going beyond $1200... But he starts using words like thick mammoth bone band and combo finish and I'm sure I'll discover what my ceiling is. However, in the end, I think I'll be quite happy.
Perhaps the OPs question Shouldve been "if an artist was designing your ideal pipe, what would your MAX budget be?"

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Don't feel bad, probably getting ready to drop close to a grand on my next one. If my 17 year old self saw me do it, he would probably kick me, because he was satisfied with cobs and Grabows.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
No joke CM!!! Those were simpler times.... When I was 19-21 nothing made me happier than good cheap tobacco and a grape fruitopia ;) things are a lot more complicated and this means expensive.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
My wife says that boys never grow up, our toys just get more expensive. How true. :mrgreen:

easterntraveler

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 29, 2012
I agree not hear to define dream. Kind of dances around the question. It seems between $500-$1000 seems to be a consistent answer. Considering how much other luxury items cost in our society this seems to be a very obtainable task and fairly inexpensive if you ask me. Oh and before somone rants about income I am no well paid lawyer or buisnessman. Just a Corrections Officer. A few days of overtime and my dream pipe is bought.
I never thought about having a custom pipe made. Don't know enough about that area. Would not even know where to begin.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
I just saw one of Bruce Weaver's pipes a few years ago, developed a frienship with him and went from there. Like his designs so much now, that I just offer a sum of money, and ask him to make me a pipe. Not been let down.

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
On its surface, the custom route can seem daunting. I've tried twice. The first time went well as a learning experience, but the second is fun. You simply decide what you like, aspects of different pipes which please you. Then find a maker whose work seems up your alley, then go from there. I've worked with Michael Parks and he's been insanely helpful, walking me through the process. Check out his work!! He's currently creating one for me in my favorite shape, large, with a thick mammoth bone band. Very excited!!

http://www.parkspipes.com

Mar 1, 2014
My problem, as with other hobbies, is that I can't know what my dream "whatever" is, until I've had a whole bunch of other "whatevers" that are definitely not my dream "whatever".

Right now I think I want a flat panel billiard churchwarden with an extra large bowl, but I've never used an extra large bowl before so a year from now it might be different.

I might end up carving it myself so the end cost might not be more than $50 if you only count the raw materials of one pipe.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
Bruce sends me pics of work in progress, and just makes it more fun, and adds to the anticipation!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I do have a very vague idea of what my "dream pipe" would be like. It would date from the 1800's, have a bend, large bowl, and smoke like a dream. For that I would, depending on the provenance, pay 4 to 5 figures USD. I doubt I'd ever see one, let alone have a chance at ownership.

nurseman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 8, 2014
I have not cracked the $1,000.00 line yet - I have come close.
I would only go 1,000 + for a Poul Ilsted panel ( my dream pipe ) . Strangely I notice that when you go over $1,000.00 they start calling panels facets.

Mar 1, 2014
I forgot to add: Given that I have to have many pipes that are not my dream pipe before I can acquire my dream pipe, you may as well tally the cost of all your pipes combined in your figure for the one dream pipe. And if I'm going to carve it myself then the cost of tools would be included too.

This is not a small sum.
Then as I'm reading another thread I remember that different bowls do better for different blends, really there is no one dream pipe, it must be at least two or three.

Chasing Embers

Nov 12, 2014
If I had to pick just one, it would have to be one of Trevor Talbert's Halloween pipes. More money than I will ever be willing to spend on a piece of briar and ebonite though.

edgreen

Lifer
Aug 28, 2013
How much is a ticket to win the 7 pipe set at the KC pipe show? That's how much I would spend. Otherwise, it's a worked for pipe not a dream one. I've never spent over $300 and have Weavers, Rad Davis's, Thiles, Dunhills, Herbaugh, Armentrout, Lobnik, Talbert, Tinskys, etc. All of it seems like a dream and I can't believe how fortunate I am to have any of the above.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I've never really thought about it in dollar terms before, but I would have a hard time paying more than around $600 for a pipe. The most I've ever paid is somewhere just under that.
Beyond that price, though, the return on my enjoyment diminishes pretty fast. For that amount, I could get a new pipe from any of the makers I really like or I could get the exact Dunhill I plan to get at some point (a group 2 Bruyere pot or billiard). I could also get a pretty spectacular antique BBB or other British make from the 1900-1920 period, which I actively collect. I guess my kids' inheritance is more or less safe. 8O

iamn8

Lifer
Sep 8, 2014
Moody, AL
Heavy sigh.... I just won an eBay pipe, breaking my $1000 rule :( My list of dream pipes has suddenly gotten more expensive, but it was sooooo pretty!!

Status
Not open for further replies.