PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
I was surfing ebay and saw this pipe:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/5-Haojue-Large-Briar-Style-Tobacco-Smoking-Pipe-50089-/260680171461?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3cb1bfbfc5
what baffles me is that it's a 2 dollar pipe.. since I'm new I can't spot anything wrong with it, seems like a decent looking pipe, but at that price I figure its a safe bet there's a reason its only 2 bucks...

excav8tor

Can't Leave
Aug 28, 2010
South Devon, England
EVERYTHING.
OK, I admit I bought one of those Haojue pipes about a year ago. I opened the package when it arrived, and guess what?
How long did this pipe last before it went into File 13. Answers on a postcard please. First Prize... a brand new Haojue Pipe.
CLUE: This pipe never even saw tobacco.
1. What I really hate is that these people advertise in the estate section, when they are new pipes.

2. You definitly get what you pay for when you get one of these.

3. I'd rather smoke the worst tobacco in the world in a well used training shoe.

4. You want your money back?..... You're having a laugh aren't you!

5. How long have you got to read all the things wrong with this pipe before you come to the conclusion that even though it's only a $2 pipe, it's not worth a dime?
My two penneth worth..... Steer well clear. If you want a pipe that bad, I'll gladly donate one of my refurbished estate pipes to you, and pay the postage.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
yea I figure its crap, just wasn't able to see why.

Any tips on being able to spot if its a bad pipe? ( for future reference )
Thanks for the warning excava8tor.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I see the seller has a 100% rating, and it's pretty clear this is intended as a novelty pipe. Maybe for folks needing a stage prop, or something like that. Which reminds me, with winter coming, better place your order for a cheap corn cob so Frosty is appropriately equipped.

fredvegas

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2010
I suspect that these aren't meant for tobacco anyway.
If you check out the pipe that I HATE, I think you'll see that they both have a similar finish on the bowl. It looks like they mixed some black ink and water, and then sprayed some onto the bowl and let it dry.
I couldn't find any markings on the bowl or stem that said "haojue" (or anything else), but I really think they're from the same maker. Haojue might be Chinese for "let's see what we can get away with".
I finally threw mine away this morning.

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
What are you looking to spend on a pipe Greggors? Cob pipes will work great as a cheap alternative to briar if you are strapped on cash. Then once you wish to purchase a briar pipe I would suggest buying an estate pipe from one of the advertisers on this site or on ebay if you know how to restore pipes (its not very difficult and you could even find information online for how-to's). As far as why is that a bad pipe let me list a few that I notice from just the picture.
1. It has a metal bowl. (You really don't ever want a metal bowl on a pipe)

2. It is not made out of wood but looks like it is. (Meerschaums, clay, and cobs aside, if it looks like it is made out of briar but it is not, such as plastic or some other material, then I would not purchase it.)

3. It is listed at a novelty shop. (As others have stated)
Also, if you are looking at purchasing a pipe I would suggest looking at some of the other threads in this forum about what to look for in a briar pipe. (If you are looking for a briar that is).
I hope this helps you out and look forward to seeing pictures of whatever pipe you purchase. Happy puffing.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Thanks for the tips wallbright! that's going to come in handy. I'm not specifically looking for a cheap pipe, I just like to experiment with different pipes i can find. My user page has pics of the pipes I already own ( although I should have used a camera instead of my phone lol ). Friday I'll be buying a peterson churchwarden but I still like keeping my eyes open =D

wallbright

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 22, 2010
Very interesting collection of pipes Greggors. I hope that you enjoy your new Peterson Churchwarden when you get it. I would suggest buying maybe a Stanwell or a Savinelli if you are looking to purchase a new pipe. I bought a Savinelli Venezia 677KS and it has become my number one smoker. It is in no way a Dunhill but it smokes well and for the price ($55 shipped) it is considered a great buy in my book. I also have a Savinelli Bent Bob's which is a great little smoke for when I don't have time for a full bowl. I have also heard from other guys that you can't go wrong with a Stanwell. I understand though that $50 might not be that much to some guys but it is to me and I saved up for a bit before I purchased that one. You may also try looking at the estate pipes of the advertisers on here and then asking the guys if it is a good pipe. I saw a nice Peterson Shannon series pipe that was a bulldog shape I believe that was being sold for only $45. I hear they are great smokes (any comments Bubba if you see this post, as you just purchased one I believe not too long ago?) Anyways you won't believe the difference between a cheap pipe and one of quality, even one rated as "decent" quality by pipe afficionados. Hope this all helps and that I am not ranting too much haha.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Not sure if I saw any Savinelli's at my local tobacconist, I'll keep an eye out online and take a look at the advertisers for one though. No worries about ranting with me, since I'm new I enjoy reading tips like these on what to look for.

thanks =D

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
Hey Greggors,

I echo Wallbright's recommendations.
But, here are some criteria you may want to consider. (Since you mentioned you are interested in online purchases some may not apply.)
First and foremost the pipe must fit your aesthetic sensibility.
If you don't like the way it looks you won't enjoy it as much as you might.

Second carefully inspect the pipe.
Are there any fills in the briar? Look at the grain orientation. Is it straight, vertical or horizontal. Also look for the fit of the stem. Is it a tight fit? Does it match up with the shank of the pipe? Look at the draft hole is it centered at the bottom of the pipe? Is it small or relatively large? If the pipe is straight remove the stem and hold the bowl toward the light and look through the shank. Is there anything in the draft hole that could cause difficulty? Also, inspect the bowl. Are there any defects in the walls of the bowl? Are there any pieces of briar still attached to the interior of the bowl. (I discovered a "curl" of briar in my Johs after I had smoked it. It caused the pipe to become very wet, and it seemed that I had dottle that I couldn't remove. I ended up using a small U shaped carving knife to remove it. The pipe is perfect now.)

Lastly I would pass a pipe cleaner from the stem to the bowl.
This will demonstrate the ease at which you can remove excess moisture (gurgle) or clear a clogged draft hole. I know that passing a cleaner all the way into the bowl isn't possible with some styles of pipes e.g. Peterson Systems with Military bit.
I think you are well on your way already, but maybe some of the above you have yet to consider.

greggors

Can't Leave
Oct 5, 2010
Mississauga ON Canada
Yea I'm currently learning what I like aesthetically, Trying different shapes since I don't like to say I wont like something unless I try it ( After the churchwarden I still want to find a falcon and a meerschaum . Learned the hard way that I don't like this one though lol http://pipesmagazine.com/members/greggors/album/picture/1207.
Haven't tried the pipe cleaner tip, since I haven't bought any estates yet I'm guessing I wont need to until I try my hand at buying estates.

Status
Not open for further replies.