Pipes Magazine » General Pipe Smoking Discussion

Tags:   

How Many of You Lucky Dogs Get to Smoke Inside?

(104 posts)
  • Started 3 months ago by puffthemagicpiper
  • Latest reply from luigi
  1. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

I don’t mean the garage, I mean in your recliner in the house.

If given up begging my wife years ago

Edited by jvnshr: Title capitalization (please check Rule #9)

Posted 3 months ago #
  2. tschiraldi

tschiraldi

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I get to smoke pipes in my man cave basement.

Posted 3 months ago #
  3. btwes7

btwes7

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my man cave with the sliding glass door open and a box fan.

Posted 3 months ago #
  4. hakchuma

hakchuma

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can and some times do. But with my aging canine friend I choose not to. Not worried about the wife. In fact I demand she go outside to smoke her cigarettes. That's what happens when you wear the big boy pants in the house.

"From tempers be it known that we are warm in the fields of battle and cool in the hours of debate"

- Pushmataha, Choctaw Chief
    Posted 3 months ago #
  5. chasingembers

Embers

Captain Of The Black Frigate

Login to Send PM

It's my house, why would I not get to smoke in it?

Damnation seize my soul if I give you quarters, or take any from you.
    -Edward Teach
    Posted 3 months ago #
  6. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can smoke anywhere in the house, but limit it to the TV room, and if it's nice outside, I go there, preferring to not smoke in the house at all if possible. I smoke a lot in the car, and always on the golf course.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  7. haparnold

Hap

Login to Send PM

I smoke in the house, but only mild straight Virginia blends. Englishes, etc. are smoked outside in good weather, or while driving.

De Gustibus Non Est Disputandum
    Posted 3 months ago #
  8. User has not uploaded an avatar

username

Login to Send PM

Its just me and the cat so yes.

Posted 3 months ago #
  9. User has not uploaded an avatar

jeff540

Login to Send PM

At home mainly in my office/man cave or in front of the fireplace in the family room. I'll smoke outside when the weather is nice and no wind present. Wife also smokes American Spirit cigarettes in those same limited rooms, about 6 stick a day so it's not unbearable to us. Rest of house is primarily smoke free.

Posted 3 months ago #
  10. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Genuine lol @ the big boy pants. I opened the door on that’n. My wife has Viking blood! What am I to do?

At my age I pick my battles

Posted 3 months ago #
  11. npod

npod

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I dream of smoking inside. Alas, it is not happening. I spent some money and made a nice outside area with a heating lamp. Best I can do.

Neal
    Posted 3 months ago #
  12. User has not uploaded an avatar

ukbob

Login to Send PM

Mainly in the conservatory with the radio on.

Posted 3 months ago #
  13. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I can smoke inside whenever I like, but the wife prefers (and I feel it is polite to acquiesce) that I not smoke Lat bombs or particularly pungent cigars inside. The trouble is, I don't enjoy smoking indoors unless there is good, swiftly-moving ventilation, so I generally smoke outside anyway. Even with a ceiling fan going and a window partially open, I still can't replicate the air handling of a decent cigar lounge.

A man who serves his country is a patriot. A man who serves his government is an employee. The two are not always the same thing.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  14. User has not uploaded an avatar

panamacharlie

Login to Send PM

I smoke wherever I want! It's like asking, "Where does a bear shit in the woods?" All the time in my office, and while watching TV in my recliner.

Posted 3 months ago #
  15. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Both my late wife and my second wife were/are reformed heavy cigarette smokers. So my smoking in the house is not an issue, but I smoke moderately, and mostly in one area, my study.

Posted 3 months ago #
  16. hoosierpipeguy

hoosierpipeguy

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I'm fortunate to have a man cave. Converted the 3rd garage bay to a smoking room 10 years ago. Framed a wall, installed drywall and insulation. Installed a 55" flat screen, hooked up a heater to the gas supplied to the house, installed an air conditioner and a couple of recliners. About 6 months ago, I moved my office to the man cave as well. Have 3 monitors mounted to the wall which helps a lot with efficiency (the work I do requires that I have access to a lot of windows). Now I can work in the man cave and smoke the entire time. I feel blessed as living in Indiana, I would not be smoking outside most of the winter.

Posted 3 months ago #
  17. hawky454

hawky454

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I do now and I flipping love it!!! All it took was getting a divorce and voila! I can smoke in my own house now!

I don’t smoke up to to 24 hours before it’s my turn to have my daughter over on the weekend and I don’t smoke while she’s here.

Posted 3 months ago #
  18. mikethompson

mikethompson

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Nope, and honestly I wouldn't want to. A pipe outside in the fresh air is much more preferable to sitting inside. But judging from the responses I am in the minority.

Posted 3 months ago #
  19. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

I smoke inside all day, but it's always a great pleasure to have a pipe outdoors; especially when the weather is nice.

Posted 3 months ago #
  20. ray47

ray47

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my den with an air filter running.

Posted 3 months ago #
  21. User has not uploaded an avatar

okiepiper

Login to Send PM

In with you Mike. I probably could smoke inside if I really pressed the issue with the wife but it's not worth it to me. I can go outside, enjoy the total quiet and the beautiful piece of property we live at.

"I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food." Ron Swanson
    Posted 3 months ago #
  22. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

I smoke outside or in the garage by choice and out of respect. Definitely don't have to ask for wifeys permission and most certainly could if I wanted to. I also personally choose not to smoke inside due to smelling up the place (I smoke several bowls a day when I'm home).

"May my last breath be drawn through a pipe, and exhaled in a jest." Charles Lamb
    Posted 3 months ago #
  23. jiminks

JimInks

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have always smoked indoors: my parents' home, college, work, home, etc. M'lady is very supportive. She's bought me pipes and tobaccos. She was 19 when we got married, and was conducting anti-smoking clinics at her church. When we decided to marry, I told her I only had one requirement. I said I had been smoking a pipe since I was 13, and smoking in the house since I was 16. I said "I'm not going to be one of those guys who goes outside to smoke his pipe while holding a umbrella in the rain. I smoke in my house" I said if she could handle that, we'd never have a problem. She said, "Okay", and we've never had a problem.

Posted 3 months ago #
  24. fishfly

fishfly

Login to Send PM

After a lot of discussion, tests, and compromise, I smoke inside. Only in my basement study, with heavy weather stripping, large Blue Air filter, two circulating fans, all doors shut, and a partially open window. I live in Iowa and going outside for a smoke in winter is, at best, problematical. I've got a couple computers, my television, my fly-tying desk, and my macro-photo station there so live is pretty good.

Posted 3 months ago #
  25. voorhees

voorhees

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke couple of times a week indoors. I also did so when my wife was alive, she was a peach and did not object. Wonderful woman.

Jason
    Posted 3 months ago #
  26. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I smoke my pipes inside my house. I don't consider myself a "lucky dog" for it. It's my house, so I can smoke in it. Part of the joys of home ownership

Posted 3 months ago #
  27. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Jiminks, that's a real love story right there!
    I don't smoke in the house. I have small kids and I want them to at least become teens before their house becomes a smoking lounge. I smoke in the garage, which is heated and serves as my workshop/study/hermitage. I would like to smoke in the TV-room at night, but it'll have to wait at least 10 years. For the kids.

Smoking is one of the leading causes of all statistics.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  28. User has not uploaded an avatar

dare66

Login to Send PM

I've only been smoking pipes for a month but choose not to smoke inside. I have to say though it's getting cold outside.

Posted 3 months ago #
  29. lawdawg

lawdawg

Login to Send PM

I don't smoke in the house. I have small kids and I want them to at least become teens before their house becomes a smoking lounge. I smoke in the garage, which is heated and serves as my workshop/study/hermitage. I would like to smoke in the TV-room at night, but it'll have to wait at least 10 years. For the kids.

I'll probably avoid smoking in the house once me and the missus have kids, at least when the kids are home that is.

Posted 3 months ago #
  30. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my heated “3 season” porch with a couple of the sliding windows cracked to keep the air fresh.

Nice and comfortable with a 40 inch flat screen.

Posted 3 months ago #
  31. workman

workman

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Kids are always home when you are. They are also always either sick or demanding attention. If not, they are smearing butter all over your TV-screen or eating dish-washer tablets. No time for a nirvana smoke then.

Posted 3 months ago #
  32. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

dare66, welcome to your new obsession!!!

/cheers

Posted 3 months ago #
  33. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Last year I converted our enclosed back porch (7'×14') into a smoking back porch. I have an electric heater that I use while I'm smoking and I sit out there on a padded bench. I smoke only once a day so it works for me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  34. pipehunter

pipehunter

Login to Send PM

I share @workman 's attitude:

I don't smoke in the house. I have small kids....

At our last house, I converted a two-story barn into a workshop downstairs and library/study upstairs. It worked great. I didn't have a serious ventilation system but a heat pump and lots of windows did a pretty good job of keeping it fresh.

Still figuring out what to do at the new digs. For now, outside works fine....

Posted 3 months ago #
  35. macaroon

macaroon

Login to Send PM

I much prefer to smoke outside for the scenery and airflow, but Michigan winters makes that less than ideal most days between December and March. Currently I live with some housemates who smoke other selected herbs (well, just one really) from time to time, and they have acquiesced to my smoking indoors on occasion. Out of respect, though, I've limited myself to my better smelling blends, like C&D Pegasus, PS Cubecut, and C&D Yorkshire. One of them recently commented that Pegasus reminded them favorably of the warm woody smell of a sauna. Someday I might bust out a lat bomb just to see how many of them think the house is burning down.

"I must obey the inscrutable exhortations of my soul"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  36. ashdigger

ashdigger

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in my home office all of the time.

Ubi Ignis Est?
    Posted 3 months ago #
  37. tnfan

tnfan

Login to Send PM

I have a very understanding wife and can smoke in the house.

Posted 3 months ago #
  38. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Why would I?

One doesn't need a Man-cave when one has a Man-mountainside.

"A human being should be able to change a diaper, plan an invasion, butcher a hog, conn a ship, design a building, write a sonnet, balance accounts, build a wall, set a bone, comfort the dying, take orders, give orders, cooperate, act alone, solve equations, analyze a new problem, pitch manure, program a computer, cook a tasty meal, fight efficiently, die gallantly.
    Specialization is for insects!" - Robert Heinlein
    Posted 3 months ago #
  39. techie

techie

Login to Send PM

I'm single, alone, and work from home, so I smoke pretty much every day in my home office.

Posted 3 months ago #
  40. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

Holy smokes (pun intended), cossackjack! That’s an amazing view!

Posted 3 months ago #
  41. User has not uploaded an avatar

bullet08

Login to Send PM

been smoking since 12 and now 51. never smoked inside other than restaurants, movie theaters and so on. prefer not to stink up where i sleep. quitting cigarette was the greatest thing. can't stand cigarette stink. pipe smoke smells whole lot better. and vaping smells even better.

Posted 3 months ago #
  42. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

puffthemagicpiper
    Its the westward view from my back deck, though I have similar views from a couple of hammocks on the mountainside.

Or from the front deck...

Posted 3 months ago #
  43. alan73

alan73

Login to Send PM

Cossack: where is that ?? I can see living there 6 months a year... I smoke inside

Posted 3 months ago #
  44. tuold

tuold

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

When we moved into our present house we spent a lot of time and sweat removing layers and layers of tobacco smoke residue from the walls and ceilings. I vowed never to smoke in this house after that.

I'm fortunate to have a fully finished and heated room in the basement under the garage that I can use to smoke in through the winter. I probably only spend an hour a day in there but after just 3 years it's ready to be stripped down, repainted and new carpeting put in. A lot of the buildup is probably due to the less than adequate ventilation but I still wouldn't want to subject the rest of the house to smoke.

The pipe is an instrument of civilization.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  45. weezell

weezell

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Mainly in the conservatory with the radio on.
    Gotta love how the Brits put it!

Myself, in the house where I want to. Air purifiers all over the place...

"the weez"...
    Posted 3 months ago #
  46. User has not uploaded an avatar

aldecaker

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"and vaping smells even better."

Holy shit, you said "vaping". IBTL!

Posted 3 months ago #
  47. cossackjack

cossackjack

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

alan73
    Mount Evans, a 14'er, west of Denver, Colorado.

I smoke outside year-round. Beautiful all year-long. Smoking during a snow storm is almost mystical, perhaps my favorite time. Quiet, still air with only the sound of softly falling champagne-powder.

BTW - we can have snow from October through mid-May.

Posted 3 months ago #
  48. mityahicks

mityahicks

Login to Send PM

I smoke indoors some of the time. My wife allows blends that don't linger too long. I usually stick to aromatics and Virginias and avoid Lat forward blends while smoking indoors. I do smoke others in my basement.

Posted 3 months ago #
  49. rdavid

Panhandler

Login to Send PM

I just got a fantastic idea from this thread. Enclose the back porch. Heat/cool, TV, comfy chairs, nice table. That's going to happen. Thanks.

Posted 3 months ago #
  50. scloyd

scloyd

Login to Send PM

Last year I converted our enclosed back porch (7'×14') into a smoking back porch. I have an electric heater that I use while I'm smoking and I sit out there on a padded bench. I smoke only once a day so it works for me.

Here is my back porch where I smoke. I still have a few things to do next spring to finish it (paint the blue table and a thicker pad).

Posted 3 months ago #
  51. User has not uploaded an avatar

puffthemagicpiper

Login to Send PM

I’ve been wanting to screen in at least half of our back deck for years. Set me up a kerosene heater and I’d be set! Best yet, when I don’t want company I can fire up some Pirate Kake. That’s a sure-fire way I’ve found to run off family members who want to sit with me and chat when I want to puff and read.

Posted 3 months ago #
  52. User has not uploaded an avatar

monkeylyf

Login to Send PM

Fortunately I live alone so I only smoked couple of times outdoors. Really difference experiment from smoking inside the house. The cadence, the tamping, retrohale...
    Another thing I really enjoy is, when I've been smoking in a room for a while and then walk out of it for a cup of tea refill or something. The moment I walk back into the room with the lingering room note, oh man, it's just gorgeous and feel like a reset of all my sensation. Relight and puff and keep enjoying the rest of the pipe.

Posted 3 months ago #
  53. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke in one room of the house. I fashioned a bezel to fit the box fan blowing out the window so it draws out smoke without bringing huge amounts of hot or cold air in.

It also serves as the media center and tactical command bunker. The rest of the house is for less important functions, like eating, bathing and sleeping.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 3 months ago #
  54. paulie66scandinavian

Paul

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Never had a problem smoking inside,wheter pipe, cigar or cigarettes, though to tell the truth, I do keep two windows a little open all the time in order to allow better air change, Wintertime this may cause some temperature droppings, wool pullovers and home slippers are a must,I guess in many places Britain inside room temps can drastically drop during the wintertimes.

Paul The Scandinavian'
    Posted 3 months ago #
  55. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Although my wife has insisted that she wouldn't mind me smoking pipes inside I choose not to because we have a baby and toddler and our place is small. Anyway, the walks out and about with the dogs are a good relaxing opportunity for quiet enjoyment of a pipe.

Seldom Seen
    Posted 3 months ago #
  56. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke inside, I wouldn't have it any other way. I keep it mostly to my den, rarely I have an aromatic while watching tv in the living room.

Sea Wolf Pipers

"Like the mariners of old, a loner is acceptable but a pipe is best enjoyed in a pack"
    Posted 3 months ago #
  57. krizzose

krizzose

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I don’t want a smoky house, so I compromise by putting a window fan in the window next to my kitchen table. The window is at the same level as my head when I’m seated, and the fan pulls out 99% of the smoke. It’s a perfect set up for me.

Posted 3 months ago #
  58. User has not uploaded an avatar

willyspiper

Login to Send PM

I need to rig up a fan. Without one, I am running the risk of being exiled by my one and only. I personally cannot smell how bad I am destroying the environment of our house until I come in from being away for a short time. I limit smoking to an office in basement, but somehow the smell goes everywhere regardless.

Its strange how bad this can smell to a non-smoker. I love the smell of wood stoves and burning leaves, but its not quite the same.

Posted 3 months ago #
  59. cosmicfolklore

Cosmic

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I have a pipe in my mouth at all times, so if I am allowed there, my pipe is as well.
    My wife told me that after I had built on a big spa/bathroom onto the master bedroom, that I could not smoke in there. I said fine... she asked me to fix something on the tub, and I would tell her that I am smoking right now... every time she brought it up. Then one day she asked me when I was going to do it, because I was obviously always smoking.
    "I will fix it as soon as I can take my pipe in there."
    I now smoke while soaking in the huge Jacuzzi style tub whenever I want.

Michael
    Posted 3 months ago #
  60. georgebmcclelland

georgebmcclelland

Login to Send PM

^And that, friends, is how it's done.

Posted 3 months ago #
  61. bradical

bradical

Login to Send PM

Outside. Always. This means weather plays a factor in when I choose to smoke, but that can be part of the fun.

Don't go chasing waterfalls.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  62. madox07

madox07

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I now smoke while soaking in the huge Jacuzzi style tub whenever I want.
    haha ... way to go Cosmic, I need to take notes in as far as winning strategies over the little lady.

Posted 3 months ago #
  63. 5star

5star

Login to Send PM

I smoke anywhere I choose on our property. Actually recently I had taken a little break from smoking. Sometimes I’m just not in the mood. I mentioned this morning that I hadn’t had a pipe for awhile and thought I’d do so. The lady of the house mentioned that she likes & had missed the aroma of my pipe.
    Looking at my smoking log afterwards, I was a bit surprised that I hadn’t smoked in 12 days. The bowl of Ten Russians I had this morning was delicious.

"You are remembered for the rules you break." - General Douglas MacArthur
    Posted 3 months ago #
  64. timt

timt

Login to Send PM

Only if I go to work. I guess that's one incentive to keep working. I did put gas heat in the garage and a little more spiffing up will make it part of the home more or less.

Tim
    Posted 3 months ago #
  65. cigrmaster

cigrmaster

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I smoke anywhere I want to in my house. Even when I was married it was never an issue.

Harris
    Posted 3 months ago #
  66. leafsmoker

leafsmoker

Login to Send PM

Cosmic has the best story for sure. I smoke outdoors in the summer, but I am able to smoke indoors in the winter, ONLY if it is Aromatics, which is fine with me, at least I get to smoke something in the winter. It is not worth it to go outside in the freezing temperatures just to have my va/pers. It works well for me, because I would probably not smoke the Aromatics I have otherwise. Aromatics to the rescue for me i guess...great thread. I was just going to post a similar thread, but here it is!

The walls have ears, the windows have eyes, and the wise man tells no lies.
    You can offer someone a cigar, but you can never offer someone your pipe.
    Posted 3 months ago #
  67. irishearl

irishearl

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Per my own choice, I only smoke my pipes in the den in a lounge chair next to an open window with a box fan running. The rare occasions I smoke a cigar is always only outside. I sometimes wonder if I should puff in the den, (though don't stop), given that it's where we hang a painting I bought from a then beginning painter 43 years ago for $125 which a gallery owner valued @ $4000 a few years ago. Needless to say, it's the only 4 figure painting we're ever going to own.

Posted 3 months ago #
  68. unclekent

unclekent

Login to Send PM

I do smoke anywhere at home, however I usually abstain from smoking cigars indoors (even the most welcomed company would experience such imposition as well).

Posted 3 months ago #
  69. User has not uploaded an avatar

tkcolo

Login to Send PM

I love smoking outside, but if it is not too cold, it is almost always too windy (I live at 8400 ft). Like most, my wife hates the smoke. I smoke in my home office. I'm fortunate that it is on the predominantly leeward side of my house, so there is a natural draft coming through. I have a window fan (see the amazon link below). It fits perfectly in my window and will draft the whole house if I turned it on high. I leave a piece of surveyor flagging hanging from my door frame with the door closed, so I can tell if something is not drafting properly. The smoke leaves the house without any smell in the rest of the house ever. The biggest issue with smoking in the winter is that the fan is like an exhaust fan. Without any other windows open, the house is a little too tight to let makeup air in, so the fan is a little too loud.

Window Fan

Posted 3 months ago #
  70. recluse

recluse

Login to Send PM

I certainly could, because I do what I want. However, I'm not a fan of the stench afterward, and I don't like subjecting others to it, even if it's in one room.

I've thought about setting up a fancy air filter/fan/etc, but I'm perfectly fine with sitting outside with a pipe or cigar in freezing or sweating weather.

Posted 3 months ago #

Reply »

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   autumnfog, daniel7, adforbes