PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I was wondering why most people do not show pictures of their pipes when they say what tobacco they are smoking in the monthly what are you smoking thread. I was showing mine for quite a while but was not sure if I should continue. I for one would love to see everyone's pipes when they post what they are smoking. I like seeing pictures of different pipes anytime I can. What are everyone else's thoughts on this one?

morton

Part of the Furniture Now
May 3, 2012
Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada
Harris, you have a beautiful collection of pipes and should be proud to show them off. I am in the process of getting my pipes photographed and cataloged for insurance purposes and once I'm finished doing that, will try to figure out how to upload them so I can show them off. Beall Tool Company has the adapters for my buffing machines on back order so once everything comes together, look out! Still, I enjoy looking at some of the pipes that our members are showing off; nothing like a gorgeous pipe to set PAD in full rage.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Cigrmaster - personally I enjoy seeing others pipes, it adds a lot to my enjoyment of this forum, so I would say your efforts are worth it. Also, I don't have envy of expensive pipes, I enjoy them vicariously, but I enjoy seeing any pipe to be honest, cob or whatever.
However, I don't visit that forum very often, not sure why. I tend to go to the bottom of the main forum page and check out the most recent posts and usually view the ones with interesting titles and to re-visit a thread I participated in.

baronsamedi

Lifer
May 4, 2011
Dallas
The reason I don't is because most of the folks on here have seen my pipes a dozen times. I like that other people do it, though.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dave, one upmanship is something that was done in highschool, it is a shame if people feel like that towards a fellow pipe smoker for wanting other people to see their pipes. Anyone who judges a man by his wallet is doing themselves a disservice for letting emotions like envy and jealousy be a part of their lives. I love looking at Yachtexplores pipes, they are incredible and there is no way I could ever afford one but I feel no envy because he can. I feel privileged to be able to see pictures of them.
I like looking at any kinds of pipes, I could care less what they cost because the person showing that pipe obviously enjoys it. I am happy for people when they get a new pipe no matter if it is a 70.00 Pete or an 8 dollar estate because they are excited about it. I think that because we are such a small brotherhood that we should support each other in all ways and not judge people by how expensive their pipes may or not be. I can understand where people don't have pictures of all their pipes or are too lazy( I understand lazy trust me)but to not show our pipes because of envy and jealousy is not a good reason.

slowwideturns

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 16, 2012
Im with cigrmaster on this and I too would like to see anyones pipes that would care to share them

msandoval858

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Joking aside in my previous comment, I too enjoy looking at pipes. It's not an envy thing at all. I've posted several pictures of my favorites and sometimes even browsing around here and seeing some of the nice briars you guys have plants an idea in my head for future ones I would like to add to my collection.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Dave, my post was not intended at you but at the idea, I know your collection and would love to see pictures of it from time to time, that is all. I hope you did not think I was speaking directly to you.
Guys, I don't want anyone to get hurt feelings, my only intention of this thread is to hopefully get to see more pictures of pipes. I think that the what are you smoking thread can be a great place to see all kinds of cool pipes.

garyovich

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2012
I agree, I love seeing pictures of people's pipes. I have posted mine a couple times, but it is kind of a PITA right now because the camera on my phone doesn't work. Should have a new one in a couple weeks (iPhone 5 on backorder). I don't think it is one-upsmanship at all, I love seeing pipes that I can't afford, it gives me something to sigh, say "someday" in a wistful voice, and then sigh again. I also like seeing well-loved, much-used basket pipes, if everything posted nothing but Dunhills and Costellos that would get pretty boring. In fact, something I would really like to see would be a whole bunch of cobs with forever stems, because I'm trying to decide which color/size combo to order next!

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
I don't take pictures while I am smoking much, because photography has always been a passion of mine and I don't like to just snap shots. Each shot I take generally takes a lot of time. Pipe smoking for me is relaxing and that's why I don't post pics on that thread. I do however like to take pictures of them while at rest.

vinvin

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 1, 2012
@photoman13 Yeah Photography has also always been a passion of mine. I do however separate the different types of photography I do haha so I snap randoms with my phone very often.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I am browsing I keep my photobucket open so it is easy for me to throw up a picture. I have pics of all my pipes in an album. I try and get the pics from the seller because the pics I have taken of my pipes suck. I am a lousy photographer even though my son has a good camera.

Status
Not open for further replies.