PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncorosz

Can't Leave
Sep 15, 2012
I need a good camera first. The one I have makes everything blurry and I have to find the right lighting each time. My neighbor who is a photographer has a great camera he paid 300 for last year and we found one online, new for around 80 (same camera). It's all digital and I think it's impossible for the thing to take a bad picture! He was showing me shots he took in low light and the camera somehow adds light and the picture is always crystal clear!
But I agree. I enjoy seeing what other users find amusing in a pipe. I am now part of the freehand club of collectors here. But I am still an admirer of many styles of pipes.

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
CBS9SUgB2kKGrHqIOKjIE0bGvLG2jBNHB05j5BQ_3.jpg
Just a few months ago I finally got a very nice Olympus camera and lenses to go with it . Up until that point it was done by phone or throw aways ,that and posting pictures here kinda sucks . But most people do want to see a collection of Amphora pipes or beat up old GBD pipes with replacement stems . Alot of times when I do see pictures of very nice or shall we say eye candy pipes they appear not to have been smoked .I suppose now that I have a nice camera I should take pictures of the stable but I doubt they will be posted everytime I decide to smoke one of them . Here is a very early Gepetto before they started numbering them and placing marks on the stem .

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
I try to post a picture every time. If I have the time, I also try to link the name of the blend to LuxuryTobaccoReviews.com or a sponsor.

I think Kevin requested that when the review site first started, and I have tried to do it ever since.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
I was posting more pipe pics in the MWAYS thread but I've slowed down my smoking here lately. I was also composing shots with pipe and specific tobacco tin which I like but I think I will have to start a group of just pipes so I can more easily just throw it up. Like Harris says just keep the photobucket opened in another tab and its not hard at all to post one up.
I never tire of seeing pictures of pipe on this forum. Those of you who do please keep it up. :puffy:

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Cigrmastr, Gepetto is a Ser Jacopo line. I've got one, a billiard. I enjoy it.
I don't post pics of mine simply because I have never photographed 'em.

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
Jud, thanks for the info,I am sure they are great smokers if they are coming out of the Ser Jacobo factory. I owned one years ago and it was fantastic. Only problem was it probably weighed 5 ounces so I ended up selling it. That was back in my huge pipe days when I thought I should get the biggest piece of briar for my money, boy was I dumb.
Dave, interesting if they are a Tinderbox exclusive. I wonder if there is a list of all the Tinderbox exclusive pipes over the years. Imagine if you could tell what is what on Ebay, there are I am sure some incredible deals to be had if you knew what to look for.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
Gepetto can't have been a Tinderbox exclusive since I never shopped at Tinderbox. :D
That page probably is the current offerings, since it is on Ser Jacopo's site.

shawn622

Lifer
Jul 22, 2012
Mount Sterling, Ohio
Cigrmaster, I love seeing your pipes. It gives me a goal to shoot for. If I even acquire 1 high end pipe I will be satisfied and I'm glad you are prosperous enough to purchase them!!! You're one hell of a great guy and deserve the best. Thanks for sharing!!!

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
I don't show them because I don't give a rip if any of you see what I'm smoking. It really doesn't matter. The whole "look at my pipe" thing has been going on since alt.smokers, I just don't care what you think about what pipe I'm smoking, nor do I care to elicit "oohs" and "aahs" by showing you some piece of wood.

mangers

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 11, 2012
No camera, and if I had a camera I don't know how to upload a picture anyways!

koshersmoke

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 20, 2012
The " Gepetto line " Are they made by Pinocchios father. He was an excellent wood worker. Maybe a new hobby instead of carving marionetts. :lol:

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Gep_315L.JPG
The newer ones are all rustic finish , The one up top is smooth except for the carving marks and weighs in at 31grams . I also have a number 315 in Mahogany purchased new it is 8 inchs long and the bowl is huge weight is 56grams .Here is picture from thier website .

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Harris I have theory that lighter briar has been aged longer and has more open pores so it breaths better . Maybe Iam wrong and cannot back it up . But I believe a lighter pipe is a better pipe . If there are two pipes of the same model side by side I will always go for the lighter one . When I thinned out the collection a few years ago I found my better smoking pipes all seemed to be of a lighter weight . Regardless of the brand or physical dimensions I now look for weight as a guideline . When I got the 315 the guy selling me the pipe thought I was crazy because I picked up every darn pipe he had in stock . He was trying to sell me on brand names and price points and all I cared about was the weight . When he rolled his eyes at the wife she told him ,Yep he is crazy allright .

photoman13

Lifer
Mar 30, 2012
The aging idea could be right. I know that when you let wood age it drys out. Seems like it would make sense. Whether it breaths or not I'm not sure. There was a discussion about that somewhere on here recently.

Status
Not open for further replies.