PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

randelli

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 21, 2015
I picked up a beautiful kaywoodie H6 relief grain with a nice slender bit. But... there is a small tooth hole on the bottom near the end. Is there a way for me to repair the hole or do I have to live with it?

fordm60

Dec 19, 2014
Rand, I have heard, but not tried, that super glue is good for that. The super glue even comes colored. Hopefully someone who has used this technique will chime in.

Jan 4, 2015
Massachusetts
Here is a write up I did for reborn pipes. It's pretty easy just follow the steps. Dutch

http://rebornpipes.com/2015/12/28/a-passion-for-rhodies-and-dogs-stem-repair-on-a-dunhill-52081-rhodesian/

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
My favorite pipe, a Stanwell Sixtus, has a small hole that developed in the stem after I purchased and used it. Looking forward to trying out these fixes on it in the future. Thanks for the OP and the responses!

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Those are great write ups. There is a hobby lobby in town; and I have been wanting micro mesh any way. Now I know where I can get it.
Does this look like a hard fix?
20160108_193121_zpsoek6wfh0.jpg

Oh, here is the pipe, isn't it gorgeous?
20160108_193145_zpsv6smjp25.jpg

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
What, that old thing? Thanks erichbaumer - guitars are another trap/hobby - but pipes are a little easier on the wallet :)

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
I've just always been a fan of the cream/red combo. And cream-colored Fenders in general. Also, you're definitely right there.

jkrug

Lifer
Jan 23, 2015
Very nice pipe, love the shape. Hope you get that hole fixed up. Let us know how it turns out. :puffy:

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I went to hobby lobby and couldn't find any colered super glue or micro mesh.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
Thanks to bonened!
I ordered the black super glue and micro-mesh pads from stew mac for $26 delivered. I can't wait to try it out.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I broke in the pipe with 2 bowls of Hyde Park and it was delightful. As luck would have it, the tooth hole lined up perfectly with my clench...
Oh well, I will repair it anyway, and I need the micro-mesh anyway to finish polishing my other pipes too.

aristokles

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2011
Until you get your repair supplies sorted out, you might use a rubber bit end cover, temporarily of course.

randelli

Nov 21, 2015
I must be doing something wrong. The CA glue is seeping up the pipe cleaner. I better review the write ups again...

erichbaumer

Dec 4, 2012
Illinois
Question-Would there be any difference in how this process works between vulcanite and acrylic stems? My Stanwell, being a Stanwell, has an acrylic stem.

Status
Not open for further replies.