PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
My Dad stopped over the other night came in and we had a beer and he said to me " I am gonna ask you to do me one favor and I will never ask for anything again". He asked if I would take his dog of about 13 years in to get him put down. I told him I would as I know how tough this can be, I have probably seen my dad with tears in his eyes a couple times in my 45 years and it pains me. The plan was for me to wait until he left on a hunting trip this week but now that has been cancelled due to weather. He just called me and asked if I could come get Raven (his Lab), I can tell he has tears in his eyes as he is talking to me on the phone.

I had to take my Springer of 15 years in a few years back to have her put to sleep and I am not ashamed to say that I cried like a little school girl when I did it. Which is exactly what I am starting to do as I type this.It is truly amazing how much a pet can become part of a family. Thanks for listening (reading)
Gotta Go :crying:

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
God bless you, Kent.
These damned dogs are heartbreakers. We let them into our lives and they take over teaching us about love, joy and companionship.
Sadly, they have to leave before we do.
You're a good man for doing a hard, hard job.
Fnord

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
You are a good Son, I had to put down my friend of many years and when I came back from the pasture I sat on the old porch and cried like a baby, I still call PMon my new Catahoula Ki my old friends name, it's hard and the older you get the harder it is. I have tears in my eyes typing this.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Sometimes dogs are more important than people. Bless you, for being such a good son to your dad. We should all be so lucky. I've put down a number of dogs, and I know the agony involved. Bit of advise, don't take that pipe outta yer jaw till the deed is done. It'll help (somewhat).

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
Kent:
You -- and your dad -- have my deepest sympathy. I cried off and on for a day when I had to have one of our cats put to sleep. I think it's something about not being able to explain things to a pet; they have no idea what's going to happen, and you have no way of preparing them. . . or yourself. . . for the separation and loss.
Ultimately, it's a kindness. But it's a terrible, heartbreaking kindness.
Bob

latbomber

Part of the Furniture Now
May 10, 2013
My sympathies and just remember that the times you have with a friend will always be there, time isnt a straight line.

piperl12

Apr 7, 2012
My friend I am going to pass on a wisdom from my Dad, a Vet from Korea, bare knuckle boxer and one of the toughest men I ever knew. He said a man never wastes a tear when it's shed showing the world your new baby and when you have to say goodbye to a dear friend. Never be ashamed of showing emotion for a beloved pet. I layed on the floor with my lab Maggie and the veterinarian and I cried like babies while he put the needle in her. I cannot think about her to this day without getting choked up. Bob is right it's kindness but a terrible , heartbreaking kindness. So well said. My heart grieves for you and your Dad and his loyal companion that will be waiting faithfully at Rainbow Bridge when it's his time. Take a walk when its all done, have a pipe and a stiff drink and let the tears flow. Each one was earned by the love of that Dog.

puffy

Lifer
Dec 24, 2010
North Carolina
My dog was 14 when I had to take her in.That was 4 years ago and I can still see the look in her eyes when I started to turn and walk away.Though it had to be done.I sure felt guilt as I walked back to my car.It's a sad thing to go through but sometimes we have no other choice.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
WOW what a great bunch of people here. I cannot believe how many of you in the past hour as I was gone have commented here.

Thank each and everyone of you for the kind words.

There are very few people who have seen me cry and the friend of mine that works at the vet has seen it twice now.

As I read all of these comments I am assured that we are all a fine bunch.

With tears running down my face I am headed up to my den to light up a bowl of "Man's Best Friend" in a cob and remind myself that Raven is not in the constant pain anymore that he has been living with.

Thanks Friends

blueeyedogre

Lifer
Oct 17, 2013
Losing a beloved pet is almost as hard as losing a member of the family. I had to put down my bull mastiff Zak on Christmas eve 3 years ago and still haven't had the heart to get another dog. He was the best damn mutt I ever had.

mrjerke

Lifer
Jun 10, 2013
Midwest
Prayers for you and your father Kent. Pets are just as much family as anything, and this must be very difficult. Amazing how our dogs really can become our best friends, and so hard to say goodbye to. My sympathies to your family.

vespertillio

Can't Leave
Jul 9, 2012
My sympathies to you and your family. You are a great son for doing a job that no one ever wants to do. I'll have a bowl for Raven, you and your dad tonight.

bryanf

Jul 16, 2013
I'm not ashamed to say I cried for days after my lab died a year ago in September. Died of natural causes, and I was petting her as she took her last breath outdoors in nature where she loved it. It was hard as hell and I still miss her like crazy. I have 3 dogs now. Everything I need to know or ever will need to know about being a good person, I can learn from my dogs.

shaintiques

Lifer
Jul 13, 2011
Georgia
Sorry to hear that, I recently had to have a cat put down, he was my lap buddy, but was suffering so I did what needed done. I had a doberman all through my childhood years into college and she eventually got bone cancer of all things. I went in with her at the vet and stayed for the whole thing. One of the hardest things I've ever done, and she was the best dog, I'll never have another like her. I have at least one dream a month where we are out and about together, and she was put down almost 20 years ago. I'll have a bowl in honor of Raven tonight and your family's loss.

drwatson

Lifer
Aug 3, 2010
toledo
My parents have asked me to take any dog that has ever needed to be put down in. I feel what you are saying and it does suck. But I guess thats what kids are for. Good luck and God Bless.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yup, mighty painful. The idea is, to let your old friend down easy and avoid any seizures, unexpected pain,

or other rough spots as they depart this life. Tears and mourning are just proof of the "old friend" part.

How lucky we are to have these beings in our lives. When the time comes, in his own good time, I hope your

dad will step up for another pooch looking for a place. This departed dog would expect no less.

terrygoldman123

Can't Leave
Jun 2, 2013
Virginia
My deepest sympathies to you ( a real "mensch"- -man in Yiddish) for helping out both you,your Dad and the dog. They are indeed the best of what we live for.

Status
Not open for further replies.