PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

trailspike48

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 15, 2013
I agree, it is a horrible job. But one that has to be done. You are doing something so important for your father. I lost my best friend last March and I still shed tears. A good dog is so loyal it humbles you. Like the Old Cajun, my new friend Zanma sometimes gets called Mick.

petes03

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
The Hills of Tennessee
My heart goes out to the both of you. I know what it is to lose close pets, as I've had several pass away. You're right, they are more than just pets, they're family! The last ones I lost was a pair of Beagles I had. They were brother and sister, both some of the sweetest dogs I've ever met. At the time, my wife had cats as well and all of the animals stayed outdoors. We lived out in the country, so they all had plenty of room to roam around, which they loved. The dogs were also very protective of the cats, and wouldn't let so much as a squirrel near them, especially the six or so kittens!
One day, I came home from work to find 3 kittens and my female Beagle in the road, dead. Somebody had evidently ran over all four of them at the same time. Like I said, we lived in the country, but people sometimes drove like morons down that road! Needless to say, my wife and I were crushed.
About six months later, I came home from work to find that my male Beagle had gotten hit in exactly the same spot as the other had. I was devastated.
I now have another dog, a little Pug mix, but he's strictly an indoor dog. He's spoiled rotten, and he's turned my wife( a self-confirmed cat person ) into a full blown dog lover! I don't know what we'd do without the little guy!
Incidentally, my dad has a Chihuahua that's nearing the end of her days. She's been a part of the family for over 15 years, and I can't imagine how heartbroken my Dad will be when she passes.
As I said Kent, my deepest sympathies to you and your father.

Dan

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I don't think that there's anything much worse. When I had to put down Sara (our golden lab) it took 14 years before we decided to get another dog. It's been a year since I had to have our cat put down, and I still expect to see him some days.
You're a good man to do that for your dad.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I've been down this road as well. We have a little graveyard out back in the daylillies. Here's a couple of things that might ease your pain, and make the time afterwards weigh a little less heavy on you:
1. It's what the dog wants. Like all animals, they know when the time has come. Help him out and don't make him linger. it's what he needs from you.
2. Be with him when he dies. I was with my last dog, Bud (aged 17), when he went. It was peaceful, I petted him, and scratched his ears until he was no more. My vet (who lives a 1/4 mile from me and whom Bud would go visit sometimes) and I told stories about him. I carried Bud home and dug a deep hole in the daylillies for him, carefully replanting the lillies. It was where he liked to hang out on hot summer days. I stand there sometimes and think of him.

phred

Lifer
Dec 11, 2012
Taking a pet in for the final vet visit is rough, no matter what the situation. We've done it with several cats over the years, and it never gets any easier. Good on you for taking the load for your father.

woodsroad

Lifer
Oct 10, 2013
SE PA USA
I'd like to ad this: If you are capable of putting the pet down yourself, I think it is better. My father was a pharmacy prof, and was able to euthanize two of our aged/terminally ill pets, at home. He cried the whole time, but it was his hand, his beloved pet, and in the end it was easier for both him and the animal to deal with.
That said, I live in the woods, am proficient with firearms of all types, but could not bring myself to put down Bud myself. The vet did it. I do regret it, and next time will be different.

tbradsim1

Lifer
Jan 14, 2012
Southwest Louisiana
I felt it was my duty to do Ki, didn't want a stranger to do it I owed him that much , I still see his Blue eyes looking at me and knowing. I agree with you Wood, it's tough.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
So sorry that you are dealing with this. I lost a best friend recently and unexpectedly at the young age of 7 to pancreatic cancer just this August. When I finally decided it was time we went to the vet's office and I held his head in my hands staring into his eyes as he took his last breath. I'm still tearing up even now as I type this. Stay strong and remember what a great life we were able to give them. All of my boys were rescues and who knows what lives they would have lead without me coming along.

Status
Not open for further replies.