PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckarnes

Lurker
Oct 22, 2018
Looking for suggestions on some aromatics that are actually made with high quality tobacco. I've been doing some reading on storing tobaccos, and understand that it is unlikely that aromatics will "age" per se. That being said, I'm curious what aromatic tobaccos are considered "good" -- I guess more of a lightly-cased tobacco, not the goopy messes that some aromatics can apparently be.
Here's my rationale. I'm a new smoker, and I'm experimenting with aro's and non-aro's. Right now, when I'm home alone smoking, I've been focusing on English styles. But, if my wife is going to be home, or out on the deck with me, I plan on smoking an aro so she can get some enjoyment from it as well (and be less likely to nag me about it). Ideally, if I intend to buy in bulk and store a tobacco, it would be nice if it could age while jarred, though obviously it won't be to the same extent as a non-aro. In short, I don't want to buy any aro's that are made with trash tobacco.
So... any suggestions? Is it safe to assume that most of the "premium" tobacco brands will have decent quality leaf? (I'm thinking along the lines of C&D, Peter Stokkebye, GL Pease, Hearth and Home, etc?)

sasquatch

Lifer
Jul 16, 2012
There are many.
The Peterson tobaccos are good. Connoisseur's Choice, Gold Blend... Aylesbury 40 year touts itself as just what you are looking for - top quality virginias and burley and a little fruit on top.
Celtic Talisman from Gawith if you like cherry.
1957 from Erik Stokkebye if you like vanilla....
Things like Dark Twist from Mac Baren are not "aromatics" per se but that one smells real nice and tastes hella good.

kola

Lifer
Apr 1, 2014
Colorado Rockies, Cripple Creek region
my top 5 :
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4018/sutliff-tobacco-company-molto-dolce
https://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/1965/samuel-gawith-firedance-flake
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/4228/two-friends-english-chocolate
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/2208/samuel-gawith-chocolate-flake
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/403/torben-dansk-blue-note

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I have a few favorite aromatics, but I won't list them yet again. I will repeat that we have it on good Forums authority that over 95% of the pipe tobacco market is aromatics, so the choices are vast. My favorites tend to be tobacco forward and subtle, not moist and "goopey" as is said. My favorite flavorings are whiskey, rum, and liqueurs.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
Not to be a jerk, but the best ones were made by McClelland. The rest are just okay. Plenty out there to try. Remember everyone's palate is different....you just have to try.

biguspipus

Lurker
Oct 30, 2018
Sutliff Private Stock Molto Dolce

Cult Blood Red Moon

Peterson Connoisseur's Choice
These are pretty good.

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Da Vinci and Devil's Holiday are both pretty good from Dan Tobacco. Devil's holiday especially will ghost your pipe in a heartbeat but if you like the flavor and aroma I doubt you'll care. Most of my favorite flavored blends would likely be frowned upon by most wives. Those of the Lakeland variety.

buzkirk

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Dan Tobac, Sweet Vanilla Honeydew, Ages wonderfully ! I am down to my last qt mason jar from 3/09, still smokes well and tastes great.

As I interpret your post, I don't think aging is something you should concern yourself with. You will have already opened the tin to try the tobacco, or you have bought a few oz's of a bulk... so really, you aren't planning to set it back in your cellar for a few decades, right? You just want to store it for maybe a few years. A few years isn't really aging your tobacco, so just set it back in a jar and return to it whenever you like. I wouldn't worry about aging, until you get serious about building up a cellar to set back for at least ten years.
As to the quality of the tobaccos used in aromatics... first, there are many areas to what quality refers to, stronger nicotine, great looking leaf, aroma, flavor, or availability. Each tobacco type has its most suited use. No tobacco company is buying "poor quality" tobaccos. Pipe tobacco makes up like 2% of the total tobacco market, so poor quality is not going to even be available to them. However, there are high quality burleys that have low nicotine, low flavors, yet absorb the added flavorings really well. These might not be suitable for some other blends, but for aromatics, they may be best suited.
Terminology is tricky. :puffy:

erhardt85

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 14, 2017
Pg is definitely a consideration. There are a lot of aromatics that aren't drenched in the stuff. Another note on aging. I know some people cellar pounds of 1q and other aromatics but I really enjoy it most fresh. If you find something you really enjoy, though, it's worth putting away a few pounds in case of tobacco apocalypse.

papipeguy

Lifer
Jul 31, 2010
Bethlehem, Pa.
Of the very few aromatics I smoke my favorite is Rattary Bagpiper's Dream. They use their usual high quality leaf and the aroma is very nice. The blend consists of various cuts which makes it interesting and it's one of the few that stays lit for the entire bowl after lighting.

I highly recommend it.

Status
Not open for further replies.