PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
So as I continue to try and broaden my tobacco palate and repertoire, I find myself coming back to this Pat-ism... I have a genuine disdain for things "flavoured".
This isn't to say that I dislike food and drink which has flavour, but that I have an intense dislike of aromas and tastes which taste "fake" or "perfumy" or "artificial". I make my own vanilla extract with Glenmorangie and vanilla beans instead of using the bottled extract from the grocery store. I'm just like that.
A month ago brdavidson kindly gave me a sample of Frog Morton Cellar. This was a pretty significant course correction from the English/Latakia, English/Oriental, and VaPer/VaBur/Va I have been smoking. The boozy top-note stayed with me through the smoke, and when i gave the blend a try in my Meer the whisky flavour was even more evident. Guess what? I liked it. I liked it, a lot. I've read the argume... er, discussions, as to whether FMC is an aro. For this smoker, it sure is.
This weekend, at the meet-up with other Toronto area PM forum members, I nosed quite a few aromatic tobaccos. I enjoyed the complexity of some, caught the primary aromatics in all, but didn't go home with a one.
While I'd happily cellar FMC as my "go-to aro", I feel like I'm missing out on part of the tobacco world (which may ultimately have to be okay if I can't find a one that I like :) ).
So, I have two questions which I hope you can help me with:
1) What, in your informed opinion, are the two finest aromatics you've ever smoked (and why)?

2) What is the best way to prepare and smoke an aro?
Thanks in advance for your thoughts and ideas, friends.
-- Pat

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm going to partially answer both of your questions, because why not?
I am not particularly fond of aromatics myself as I find them to be too overpowering most of the time. I have solved this problem by mixing aromatics 50/50 with tobaccos that I know that I enjoy. I have even noticed that finding an aromatic with a base tobacco that is the same as the tobacco you are mixing it with further aids in this issue.
For example, I smoke mostly virginias. Eileen's Dream is a strict aromatic (much too sweet as a standalone in my opinion) that is virginia-based. I mix Eileen's Dream 50/50 with Dunhill Flake. I still get that sweet aromatic flavor (and one hell of a room-note), but it is nullified by that lovely Dunhill Flake to the point of being exquisitely enjoyable.
So I guess in a roundabout way I've answered question number 2. My two favorite aromatics to use this technique with are CAO's Eileen's Dream and CAO's Moontrance. Though admittedly I have very limited experience with aromatics.
Perhaps this will help, perhaps you will chalk me up as a crazy person. "Smoke what you like and like what you smoke" as has been said here before.

brdavidson

Lifer
Dec 30, 2012
For me they are as such:
1. Rattray's Bagpipers Dream - the aromatic component to me is cognac with a good quality tobacco taste in behind it. This is a high quality aromatic with great tobaccos as the base

2. McClelland's Grey Havens - a sucker for all things LOTR, this has a vanilla dressing to once again good quality Virginia and burley tobaccos. I get the vanilla/caramel flavour as the aromatic but with good tobacco flavour as well
Honourable mentions: Captain Black Dark - straight black Cavendish with very vanilla flavour but it packs a bit of a punch and you can actually taste the vanilla in this versus just smelling it, Amphora Red - Danish style aro with tobacco flavour and whatever the aro component is (I can't discern it)

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
My favorite aromatic is Mac Baren Vanilla Cream Flakes. Cube cut and enjoy. Also the Peterson's Sunset Breeze and Connoisseurs Choice are a couple loose aromatic blends I keep around for when I'm in the mood.

smokeybear

Lifer
Dec 21, 2012
Brampton,Ontario,Canada
Honestly Pat just come by my place one day try all the Aros i have if none float your fancy then your simply not an aro guy lol and thats ok.
As of right now i am not an English or Lat guy.

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
Pat, I recently reviewed four aros I sampled from Pipeworks & Wilke.
Have tried many others, including Sunset Breeze, Dan Blue Note, 1Q, CB Dark, MacB Vanilla Cream Flake, etc.
My two faves are P & W Rumcake and McClelland Mellow Mac so far.
As with most aros, it pays to dry them for a bit first. Time will vary according to your patience with relights.
I have found that packing somewhat loosely, as opposed to packing tightly generally works better for me in keeping relights down.
Quality of leaf and blender's skill in using flavorings/casings is paramount, as is being sure to sip to reveal some of the subtle tastes of the aros. (BTW, I found Dan Blue Note virtually impossible to deal with re: the bite factor. Maybe another time after considerable drying will improve that.) Many other members seem to like it.
I don't get the flavor that others have raved about in 1Q or in CB Dark. Aroma yes; flavor, non-existent to me.

Nail me to the cross, but that's MHO. :puffy:

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Trout Stream is pretty subtle aromatic. I'll say the Peterson's blends, while I like Connoisseurs Choice, can come off a bit over-powering. Stokkebye nougat is pretty good and not too harsh on the chemical note. Note, I love all of these but when I think about which would be good for someone who doesn't like aromatic - I have to rule out things like Sutliff Molto Dulce...

boudreaux

Apr 7, 2013
@saintpeter -
If ya haven't tried it...give it a shot.
Not sure if the above comment was directed to pruss or to me. If it was to me, I have tried it. No bite - correct, but not the taste (as you seem to concur in your comment.)
If directed to pruss, please disregard. By all means try it. Nothing can match personal trial of a blend to see if it suits your palate.

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
Aro's I've liked: PS Nougat, I didn't at first, but after it sat in a jar for quite some time it mellowes some (less artifical tasty) and just gave a sweet tasting smoke.

VCF. This wasn't overpowering in the vanilla department, but sweet enough to satiffy my desire to try some aros.

Two Friends English Chocolate. Ok, definately a crossover, but I like this one.

Haddo's Delight. Even further from an actual aro, but the cavendish is present and the brandy is pretty distinct, and it is sweet, and being one of my favorites, worth a mention.
Haven't had many other, but most others I've tried either tasted bad, or just "not good." My brother in law has a few cherry blends I can't stand. I've tried some sutliff's that were OK, and a few C&Ds that I didn't mind, and a faur share of others I didn't like.
I'm like you though, I want to find a few that I do enjoy. I'm looking to branch out my aro list a bit. But artificial, or lacking in flavor, both are no go's.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
Pat, I see a reflection of my thoughts in your words; well, in all but the FMC musings.

After spending much time and money in my never ending search for an aromatic I can enjoy, I found:ps. I've theorized elsewhere, but it merits repetition here, I think there are two types of pipe smokers in the world:

those who can smoke aromatics without reservations; and those who, as you said, find them "fake" tasting. This is not

unlike the division among cola drinkers: those who can drink diet colas, and those for whom they are an abomination.

tarak

Lifer
Jun 23, 2013
South Dakota
I like Eileen's Dream, and I'm not an aro guy. I think the idea of "cutting it" with something like Dunhhill Flake is genius.
It also seems like Carter Hall is the go-to mixer around here too, though I've yet to try it.
You could always rub out a Virginia flake you have- like some FVF, and combine it with something like Eileen's Dream and give it a whirl.
And to answer your question, the best two aros:
1. Eileen's Dream

2. FMC, and if FMC can't count

3. 1Q.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks, everyone, for some outstanding insight and opinion. I appreciate you all chiming in.
Thanks Boudreaux for this:

Quality of leaf and blender's skill in using flavorings/casings is paramount, as is being sure to sip to reveal some of the subtle tastes of the aros.
Thanks to Homeatsea for this:

I am not particularly fond of aromatics myself as I find them to be too overpowering most of the time. I have solved this problem by mixing aromatics 50/50 with tobaccos that I know that I enjoy. I have even noticed that finding an aromatic with a base tobacco that is the same as the tobacco you are mixing it with further aids in this issue.
@Cortez - I think I remember you have a distaste for Latakia. Is that where our opinions on FMC vary?
@smokeybear - I'll come up to yours, and try to convert you to English/Latakia blends while you try to tempt me to smoke Hobbit's Weed!
I hear a fair number of you strongly suggesting I consider 1Q. I gave it a good whiff last weekend and was pulling caramel, cane sugar and vanilla aromatics right off the top, is this consistent with what you folks find in the blend. brdavidson had a bulk that was based on the 1Q which I think I liked better, but I can't for the life of me remember the name of the blend.
In addition to the long list of aros posted above there were multiple recos for:

- Eileen's Dream

- Sunset Breeze

- Trout Stream
And also some suggestions to consider "crossover" tobaccos like:

- Haddo's Delight

- Two Friend's English Chocolate
Thanks, friends, I look forward to exploring some of these. I think I might spend some time in the crossover camp for a bit, and see if I want to dive more fully into aros.
Cheers,
-- Pat

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
1. Two Friends English Chocolate. Just enough flavoring without being overpowering. Just enough Latakia without smelling like burning horse dung. Very smooth with high quality Virginia's in an aromatic blend that tastes nothing like an aromatic to the pipesmoker. Smoker happy. Company happy. Win.
2. The Humidor / 310 Battleground. Another aromatic English containing Latakia, Perique, and black Cavendish. Fantastic room note. Lots of interesting flavors for the smoker. Can only be ordered from The Humidor in Murfreesboro, TN. Call. Worth it.
Alternate in the event one can't be bothered with int'l shipping on option two above:
3) Savinelli Cavendish. An infrequently discussed and underrated blend. Honey and brown sugar on the tongue and in the room note. A nice, dry smoke with none of the "goop" commonly associated with aromatics. Ages well.
Second part of question: I don't prepare or smoke these any differently then non-aromatic blends. However, I set aside certain pipes dedicated to these blends so as not to ghost my VA and VaPer pipes.

sallow

Lifer
Jun 30, 2013
+1 Haddo's Delight, University Flake, and Bob's Chocolate Flake. They are not exactly aros, but have a nice top note and a good strength.

shortyeastcoast

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 28, 2013
Holy moly, a "recommend an aro" thread and I didn't see one mention of Villiger 1888 Mid-Day.
I find the entire line of Villiger 1888's to be absolutely spectacular, but the only aro in the series is the mid-day and it's still the best aro I've ever tried by a long shot.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am another member of the "I want my tobacco to taste like tobacco" school. Even though I am fond of blends with latakia, I find that crossover lat blends do not work for me. I might find one that I like for a tin (or a couple of ounces, bulk), when I go beyond that, I don't enjoy them any more.

Don't feel you have to enjoy every sort of blend. It is perfectly OK to say "I don't care for aromatics", or "I really don't care for VaPers". It's good to try this stuff, but it's OK to say "It's not for me". Yes, if you set it aside for a while and then come back to it, you may like it - or you may not. I hadn't smoked any VaPers before the recent box pas in probably 5 years, and guess what? I still don't like 'em. I'm good with that.:puffy:

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
Two aromatics that I really like are McClelland's Stave Aged 35 and Reiner's Professional. Not your typical aromatics. I used to smoke Dan Tobacco's DaVinci but tend to reach for Reiner's more often these days.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
It's refreshing to hear someone say they wished they enjoyed aromatics. Typically it's people wishing or being condemned for not liking English blends.
My top two aromatics are Lane Limited's 1Q and Peterson's Connoisseur's Choice.
1Q is just a nice light and not complex blend that delivers good casing flavor and leaf flavor. It's one that most people will say they could puff on all day long. I haven't heard of it biting too many people or being labeled as sickly sweet. Just a nice smooth vanilla/coco flavor that melds nicely with the leaf and comes through at a good pace.
Petersons Connoisseur's Choice is a nice mix of ribbon cut and broken flake. It has a nice vanilla, rum, and tropical fruit casing. Like 1Q it comes through pretty well balanced. This one has had more mentioning of tongue bite, but if you sip on it the flavor comes out better and tongue bite tends to be curbed.
I'd say just give some a try. 1Q is the biggest selling bulk blend in America so you can get a sample pretty reasonably. Lane also has some other solid aro blends like Black Raspberry and BCA. McClelland and Peter Stokkebye have some solid bulk aros too you can sample. Peterson's blends are only in tins though, so you'll spend a little more on it.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
Pat, I recently reviewed four aros I sampled from Pipeworks & Wilke.
+1
I like aros, and IMHO, Wilke's are the finest. Rumcake is pure delight and my other two favs are Bleeker Street and Wilke 191.
These aros are not goopy, not overly sweet -they are just right for an aro.

Status
Not open for further replies.