PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sean81

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 26, 2013
Pruss,

Instead of cutting an aro with your favorite english/non-aro blend and then blending the two together, you might try the following. Pack the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of your bowl with your aro of choice, then pack the rest with your fav english/non-aro blend. This will allow you to start with your favorite tobac and gradually gain the flavor and room note of the aro. With this method you should have a gradual increase in the aro flovour and smell without resulting in a whole new flavor that is neither the aro nor english/non-aro blend (as you may find that the direct blending of the two tobac's to be less plesent than the aro by itself.)
As for my favorite aro...hands down, Sutliff's Molto Dolce.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
Thanks for the continued feedback and ideas, friends, I truly appreciate the time and perspective represented in the comments above.
Don't feel you have to enjoy every sort of blend.

@Jud Sage advice, pal. I don't feel that way, I'm not experiencing any compulsion here. Just motivated by good old fashioned curiousity, and exploration.
Typically it's people wishing or being condemned for not liking English blends.

@LotPR That's interesting, and unfortunate, nobody should be condemned for something as simple as what kind of tobacco they smoke.
Instead of cutting an aro with your favorite english/non-aro blend and then blending the two together, you might try the following. Pack the bottom 1/4 to 1/3 of your bowl with your aro of choice, then pack the rest with your fav english/non-aro blend.

@Sean81 Greetings! Thanks for the tip. That's an interesting approach to thinning out an aro.
Next steps for me on this tobacco road? I'm going to continue to explore crossovers with the recommended blends above. I'm going to have to put in an order for a small tin each of Two Friends English Chocolate and Haddo's, and then add Eileen's Dream, and 1Q.
Happy puffing, friends.
-- Pat

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
W.O. Larson Signature blend.
Best aro I've ever had hands down. It's light, but it's there, and it's not just one flavoring. I think it's strawberries, orange, vanilla, and caramel all wrapped together to mingle and make something so sweet and delicate and beautiful.
It's just the best aro I've ever come across. Zero Goop. No problems. Just stellar.

zonomo

Lifer
Nov 24, 2012
I actually dont think there is an answer to your question. Its a little like ask someone to please help you like the color blue. I have smoked what may be considered very good English or Virgina's and absolutely hated every second of it. The flip side is that most of the aros I smoke would make many here puke. I'm ok with that.. more for me.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Peoples' taste and smell is so different, no one can make anyone like anything. I considered appreciating English, Balkan,

and other non-flavored blends as a step up in my pipe smoking education. Then I realized that some well-blended

aromatics were a perfect complement to these non-flavored blends in rotation. I want the aromatic's flavor to emphasize

and set off the natural tobacco flavor, not bury or supplant it. I don't really want to smoke vanilla and cocoa beans, per se.

However, if you despite aromatics, please review carefully the offerings of the big tobacco blenders. It appears to me that

they offer two or three to one aromatics to non-aromatic blends. The numbers of aromatics available makes my head spin.

Among these are tobaccos I throughly enjoy. My adulation goes to a few fine English blends, but they are helped not

hindered by (what I consider) good aromatics in rotation. I want some great side dishes with my filet mignon, thanks.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Butternut Burley & 1Q, both have a great flavor and aroma and are pretty no nonsense smokes. I have transitioned over to English blends but still find myself enjoying these two Aro's and of course love my FMC.

pruss

Lifer
Feb 6, 2013
Mytown
I actually dont think there is an answer to your question. Its a little like ask someone to please help you like the color blue.
I hear you Zonomo, but that's why I chose to ask, "What, in your informed opinion, are the two finest aromatics you've ever smoked (and why)?" It's also why I didn't ask, "What is the best aromatic on the market?"
Interestingly, a number of the folks posting above had similar responses.
With regards to the second question I asked around preparation, it sounds like the general feedback is, "Stuff it and puff it and adjust tamp pressure and draw based on moisture level." Sounds easy enough.
-- Pat

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
I am very happy that this topic was posted! I have a very similar problem with aros and this gave me plenty of ideas to try next! On a secondary note SamCoffeeMan, shoot me a PM, I have 150g of FMC hanging around my house and I'd be happy to send you a bowl or two!

burlpettibon

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 1, 2013
Tacoma, Washington
Also, that pretty much applies to anyone who wants to try it (within a reasonable number of people! I want some for myself afterword!). I enjoy the blend so much I ought to share the wealth right?

Status
Not open for further replies.