PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdhowe75

Lurker
Jul 13, 2019
So I got this pipe in a lot that I bought on eBay. It's marked "The Pipe" on one side and "Imported Briar" on the other. It's a straight billiard shape with a fairly large bowl. No country marks on it, and no stamp on the stem. I've cleaned it up, adjusted the tenon(it was a bit loose). It seems to have some sort of lining (meerschaum?). I'll try to post pics once I figure out how.
I threw in some Cask No. 2 and smoked it and it's a great smoker. I know that there are a lot of makers out there and many "Imported Briar" pipes are unmarked, but I'm trying to see if anyone knows where this pipe comes from?
Any ideas?

jdhowe75

Lurker
Jul 13, 2019
Thanks for pointing me in the right direction. From one of the links in a previous thread, it doesn't look like many of the Imported Briar pipes were ever produced. It's kinda hard to tell if this was a Los Angeles production pipe or something that was created as a prototype...I'm probably not that lucky to have a "prototype". But this thing smokes pretty good, so we'll just enjoy it.
"Another attempt to improve sales was putting a pyrolytic graphite bowl liner in a genuine imported briar shell. Again, not many of these were made, apparently because "instant break-in" was not as popular as it had been hoped it would be. Both the Rare Wood and Imported Briar pipes prototypes were carved and machined in England before actual production was begun in a Los Angeles machine shop. Super-Temp also sent a few hundred pyrolytic graphite bowl liners to England for experimental installations. However, both models were ultimately entirely produced in the United States. There was also an attempt to market the bowl liners as a refurbishment and upgrade to traditional briar pipes."

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Photos, please.
Once your photos are on a photo hosting site (such as Imgur.com; Postimage; Dropbox, etc. Photobucket), or on virtually any site, including this site's album such as eBay; Amazon Pinterest; Facebook; an online Pipe retailer; you-name-it, select the full sized image, then Control-click (Mac) or Right-click (Windows) on the image itself, then choose "copy image location" or similar words. Now paste that URL (the full web address, which should end in .jpg or .png) into the IMG box in the reply window of the thread you're posting to.
The site's album is also a good choice for displaying photos, and the same method works for obtaining the image's URL for copying into the IMG box.
There are other good illustrations and steps on how to post photos under "Latest Discussions" in different formats:

LINK to that thread

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
That's really a fascinating Web site. Pretty damn clever of them to dicsover via their research that ~75% of "expensive" pipes were purchased by women for the men in their lives, and as a result made those women a target of their ad campaigns. Also, the colord versions sold for ~$15, which was about the same price as a Dunhill. Checking an inflation calculator puts that at ~$105 in 2019 money.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Except the actual product was a dud....
Are you sure about equivalency with Dunhill prices at the time? And what time would that have been?

Status
Not open for further replies.