PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
I recently purchased a Pipe Lot which included a Pipe that I cannot specifically identify other than it was made in France.

The Pipe Is a Briar Forward canted Cutty, fitted with a straight Ovaloid screw-in Stem.

The tenon is fitted with what appears a permanently fixed Filter fitting that allows a filter to fit over it like a glove.

Both the Pipe and Stem are Stamped VDT in an oval ring.

The pipe itself has the stamping Made in France under the VDT nomenclature.

Over the Nomenclature in Script are the Words 'The Albury'.

Any help would be much appreciated.

old soldier

cynyr

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 12, 2012
Tennessee
vdt-cutty-001-600x450.jpg

That's a beauty, soldier. I would call it a horn shape, since the line of the bowl becomes the shank.
Loewe made an 'Albury', but it doesn't seem to correspond to the French manufacture. Good luck with it, it ought to be a good one.

oldsoldier

Lurker
Feb 15, 2014
My sincere thanks lordnoble; I have absolutely no idea how you did it, but I really appreciate your help with the pic transfer.
Thanks cynyr; If I can ever get around Pic Posting, I'll show one of it after restoration.

tuold

Lifer
Oct 15, 2013
Beaverton,Oregon
The only thing I've been able to dredge up that may be useful as a lead is that VDT pipes were made by Woolf, M.A. & Co in England and/or Ireland in the 19th and 20th centuries. That comes from an article called, "The Briar Trade-makers, manufacturers, and brands that time forgot" in a publication called "Pipes and Tobaccos", Summer 2013.
The information is in a table from that article here:
Pipes and Tobaccos PDF

Status
Not open for further replies.