Have you tried the Middle Earth Pipeweed Series blends?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

cadavers

Lurker
Jan 27, 2012
I've been looking around, reading reviews about different types of tobaccos, being a newbie pipe smoker, I'd like to try as many types as I can.
http://justforhim.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=2_298_62
I was just curious if anyone has had a first hand experience with any of these blends, that could possibly throw together a short review, or even just make an educated suggestion about them.
Longbottom Leaf

Old Toby

Treebeard

Ruins of Isengard

Shortcut to Mushrooms

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I've had Longbottom Leaf and Treebeard. Both are pretty good blends. Sweet with a bit of vanilla flavouring. Nice smooth flavourful smokes. Not a regular, but nice to have every now and then.

revs

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 31, 2011
Utah
I want to. Just need to clear the purchase with the boss first. Maybe since my birthday is close she will approve. And maybe I can get her to approve a SmokinDragon cob, too.

bbauer

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 10, 2011
Livermore, CA
I tried shortcut to mushrooms tonight for the first time and I must say I am a huge fan. A bit on the lighter side, but so good. I have a feeling it will find its way into my normal rotation.

frtimmyd

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2011
I actually like Treebeard so much that I've made it my standard tobacco. I'm needing to order some Shortcut to Mushrooms. It sounds wonderful.

doctorthoss

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 6, 2011
For the most part, this is a fairly unique set of aromatics that have built quite a following. I've tried all of these and was impressed with the quality, although aromatics aren't my cup of tea. The best two are, I think, Ruins of Isengard and Shortcut to Mushrooms. Ruins is a fairly nice English, very smoky, with a slight aromatic quality about it but not all different from a lot of other crossovers. As for Shortcut to Mushrooms: I don't think I'm exaggerating to say this is a modern day classic. It's an English/Aromatic with a very distinctive, earthy flavoring that is really unusual and captivating. This is a very popular blend, and seems to inspire the same kind of devoted cult following that blends like Full Virginia Flake and Haddo's Delight generate. I don't like it quite that much, but I've got a pound jarred up that I dip into occasionally. As a beginning pipe smoker, Shortcut to Mushrooms is one of a small handful of blends that I'd recommend as an excellent introduction to English mixtures (the other blends being Frog Morton by McClelland, Chelsea Morning by GL Pease and Countryside by Boswell)

buckeye

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 16, 2010
I have been smoking Shortcut to Mushrooms for a few years.Very good.

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Being a pipe smoking fan as well as a Lord of the Rings fan I'm going to have to give em alll a try. Thanks

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I've only smoked SCTM but it was love at first smoke. As soon as I placed an order I promptly gave samples away to a few members to spread the good news... It looks like I'm in need of another purchase...

wolfe

Lurker
Mar 7, 2011
I tried the sampler pack a few months ago, probably the first tobacco's I ever smoked so I can't really give a decent review, other than to say I like them from what I remember! Been meaning to order more of each but at the rate I smoke (maybe 1 bowl a week) I have enough tobacco to last me a while so I'll have to wait. On a side note, anyone else noticed Longbottom Leaf doesn't seem to be on the website? Out of production or just out of stock?

organizedmadman

Can't Leave
Nov 8, 2011
Louisville, Ky
I want to. Just need to clear the purchase with the boss first. Maybe since my birthday is close she will approve. And maybe I can get her to approve a SmokinDragon cob, too.

See, that's where I count myself incredibly fortunate, mine was intrigued with both my SmokinDragon cobs, and she just ordered me an additional 8oz of Ruins of Isengard for my birthday, plus another 8oz of samplers from JFH she knows I haven't tried yet...and I'm allowed to smoke in the house...just not in her car! :wink:

To answer your question, the Middle Earth Pipeweed series is well worth trying. Ruins is a blend that you will keep you coming back, it was my first introduction to Latakia as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.