Pipes Magazine » General Discussion

Tags:  No tags yet. 

Happy 229th Birthday to the U.S. Coast Guard

(8 posts)
  1. pappymac

pappymac

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

On August 4, the U.S. Coast Guard celebrates its 229th Birthday, tracing its founding to Aug. 4, 1790 when the Revenue Cutter Service was created.
    The smallest of the military services with about 48,000 officers and enlisted, the motto is Semper Paratus - Alway Ready (or Always Prepared) when it's motto should be Simply Forgotus when it comes to funding.

Here's a link to an interesting article about one Coast Guard cutter. https://www.latimes.com/world-natio...WymTVdCH9dl7gsoQ39jIpiYLUNiyeSSZG-z-8i7WviX1I

I am glad we have a good admin and responsible moderators.

Heave to you dark colored ship under sail! Prepare to be boarded!
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  2. seldom

seldom

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

I developed deep respect for the Coast Guard while working as a deckhand commercial fishing in the Bering Sea. Happy Birthday Coast Guard!

Seldom Seen
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  3. elessar

elessar

Login to Send PM

Semper P!

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  4. mso489

mso489

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Hail to the Coasties, as the Navy called them in 'Nam, where they also provided coastal patrols. I've seen Coast Guard rescue swimmers in action, swimming out in currents between the shore and a sand spit island that, it turned out, drowned a man. They made it, searched the spit for him, and swam back. I wouldn't have gone wading. It was nasty like whitewater on a river.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  5. redglow

redglow

Login to Send PM

Semper Paratus! Definitely a group of unsung heroes.

If you've ever been out on the water with a problem, you realize how great it is just having a Coast Guard station checking in on you every 15 minutes via radio just to make sure you're ok.

Not to mention coming out to save your "bacon" when things go really wrong.

Posted 2 weeks ago #
  6. jaytex969

jaytex969

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

While I was away in the army, my parents became members of the Coast Guard Auxiliary.

Being in Baltimore, we always had a boat and spent many weekends of my childhood crabbing and fishing on the Chesapeake and its tributaries.

My dad was quite the water man before he got old and wobbly.

They would conduct courtesy safety inspections of vessels, conduct emergency search and rescue drills and provide light assistance to the area Coast Guard.

They assisted in crowd control when large flotilla functions entered the Baltimore Inner Harbor, for instance, and helped keep clueless boaters out of the impact area during the Independence Day firing of fireworks over the water.

There are many unpaid and dedicated citizens also contributing to the security and safety of our coastal waterways.

Gunner, Black Frigate. Say "Hello" to my little friend!
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  7. warren

warren

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

"Low bridge!" A toast to the "shallow water sailors". One of my old sergeants ran an landing craft (LCM?) in and out of Utah Beach. "Low bridge", would get his panties in a bunch. He heard it often and with affection. Happy Birthday Coasties!

A man without a shillelagh is a man without an expedient.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #
  8. jpmcwjr

jpmcwjr

Preferred Member

Login to Send PM

Link above didn't work, but here's a short video of our CG at work: LINK to video

A great organization, saving thousand of lives and vessels each year. No matter what ocean or sea I am near, I always am hearing of numbskulls displaying a whopping lack of seamanship, putting themselves and others at risk.

I know that you believe you understood what you think I said, but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant.
    Posted 2 weeks ago #

You must log in to post.

Back To Top  | Back to Forum Home Page

Members Online Now
   bluegrassbrian, jchaplick, aquadoc, pianopuffer, armonts, bnichols23, lestrout, cosmicfolklore, the85boro, carolinachurchwarden